Moms and Maids

Info on showers for the bride?

I'm a bridesmaid in a close friend's April wedding.  I and most of the other maids live in the same city as the bride, but her maid of honor lives on the other side of the country.  None of us (the bridesmaids) know each other very well, and so far there isn't a lot of coordination or communication between the group of us.  It's my first time being a bridesmaid, and I was married 11 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's just that trends have changed since I got married, or if there's a ball being dropped here... 

My question is, how many showers are typically given for the bride now?  When I got married, I was given a lingerie shower, a housewares shower, a stock the bar shower, and a bridal shower.  I've tried searching online and when I find articles on "bridesmaid duties" they only mention the bridal shower - so have multiple showers fallen out of fashion?  And if there is only a bridal shower given now, when is it typically held, and who usually hosts it?  

The wedding is about a month and a half away and none of the other girls have mentioned planning any showers, I haven't received any invitations, and I'm wondering if I should plan something myself.  I just want to make sure that my friend doesn't miss out on anything, but I don't want to step on any toes by contacting the others and asking the wrong question.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Info on showers for the bride?

• ShannonH said:

I'm a bridesmaid in a close friend's April wedding.  I and most of the other maids live in the same city as the bride, but her maid of honor lives on the other side of the country.  None of us (the bridesmaids) know each other very well, and so far there isn't a lot of coordination or communication between the group of us.  It's my first time being a bridesmaid, and I was married 11 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's just that trends have changed since I got married, or if there's a ball being dropped here... 

My question is, how many showers are typically given for the bride now?  When I got married, I was given a lingerie shower, a housewares shower, a stock the bar shower, and a bridal shower.  I've tried searching online and when I find articles on "bridesmaid duties" they only mention the bridal shower - so have multiple showers fallen out of fashion?  And if there is only a bridal shower given now, when is it typically held, and who usually hosts it?  

The wedding is about a month and a half away and none of the other girls have mentioned planning any showers, I haven't received any invitations, and I'm wondering if I should plan something myself.  I just want to make sure that my friend doesn't miss out on anything, but I don't want to step on any toes by contacting the others and asking the wrong question.

Thanks for any input!
    Holy crap that's a lot of showers! I hope there was no guest overlap on those guest lists.

Second, anyone (or no one) may plan and host a shower. If you want to throw one for your friend, that's lovely, but this close to the wedding is REALLY pushing it.

Depending on when it is in April, you have, realistically, five weekends (I am assuming she's not getting married Palm Sunday or Easter Sunday weekend, though I could be wrong). That's not a lot of time to plan a shower, fond some here to host it (even just a house), issues invites, get RSVPs, etc.

If you get the ball rolling this week you could probably cobble together a small shower, but it will be tight. If you want to do that, contact the bride and other BMs ASAP and get a budget from the BMs and a list from the bride and see what you can do.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Instead of rushing to get a shower together, it might be easier to plan an informal gathering instead. That way you can just call people instead of sending out invitations and waiting for RSVPs.
  • wow, that is an awful lot of showers!
  • Wow that is alot of showers! I have never heard of those! I had a wedding shower and then a lingerie shower the night before the wedding with my out of town relatives that couldn't attend my shower (tradition with that side of my family as we all live all over the country).

It sounds like there is no shower planned at this point and I think its super nice of you to want to. It would be tight, but doable! Likely would have to be on the low key side.

Do you have any contact info for the other BM's just to confirm or to see if they want to help?

Anniversary
  • edited February 2014
    The bms aren't obligated to throw a shower, but do you want to do it? I would guess that if you haven't heard anything by now, there is nothing in the works. You could pull something together very quickly. Keep it simple (cake and punch, ice cream sundaes, appetizers and punch or desserts and coffee) and limit the guest list to the bridal party and very closest family members. Make sure the refreshments are appropriate for the time of day. You should ask the other bms if they'd like to help and what they're willing to do. You may contact the MOB to see if she'd like to help out. 

With the wedding so close, it might be easier to organize a bp, with everyone paying their own way and chipping in for the bride's expenses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards