Wedding Woes

Morning things

1. The bank where my MIL works was robbed for the second time in 3 months yesterday.  MIL was on break this time and hid in the bathroom to call 911.  Last time, she was in the front...gah.  She's OK, but shaken up.  This robbery actually made the news (the first one did not).  There is something about this one that makes me wonder if it is an inside job. 

2. I just had to order checks for the first time in for-ev-er. At least I got 2 boxes for the price I normally pay for one. 

3. I think this Jr High stuff is harder than having a toddler.  There was a minor incident yesterday, but I swear it brought me more stress and panic in just a few minutes than anything DefConn ever does. 

4. I got my shoes on Friday.  Three of four pairs fit, but I'm exchanging 2 because the wedges I bought are just too.damn.high.  I can't do 4", I think 3" is my limit (<--- That's what she said. :))

5. I'm impatiently waiting on a clothing order to be shipped.  After that, I think I'm almost ready for summer.  Now the weather just needs to cooperate. 

Re: Morning things

• How scary for your MIL.  That's awful.

Related to #3, Son has been asking questions about things he's learning in school that he's worried about when it comes to economy and population.  We did the best we could to explain the things he wasn't quite understanding.  On one hand, I'm glad he's aware of things like this, but the mama bear in me wishes he didn't have to think about them.
  • 1. how scary!

2. we get free checks with our account.  I ordered a box 2 years ago and still haven't used them all.

3. I believe that.

5. I haven't even started on me for summer.  I still want to lose 10 pounds.  I'll probably be saying that in August.

My stuff:

1. The only thing left to pick on our kitchen is paint and barstools.  I keep visiting my pretty cabinets sitting in the garage.

2. I'm so glad I took the chance and went to Bunco.  I feel like I'm making some friends that are mine.  Not mom friends.  Not wives of DH's friends.  Mine.

3. My tummy is mad at me.

• Fun fact: until I taught him like three years ago, husband didn't know how to use checks.

One of my friends from high school just posted that she's upset to be going back to work after staying home with her kids for fifteen months. It's like... I can't feel bad for her because at my work, we get a max of three months, and that's if you have paid leave time banked up. I can't imagine how nice it would be to actually be able to devote your time to your family like that. Shit, I don't even have enough time in my day to take the dogs for good walks.

• Today, I am going to calling upon the power of pharmacologics to keep going at my job. I CANNOT BE SICK for the next two days. Tons of meetings including one face to face with a sponsor. I'll die Thursday.

Stupid wacko weather change!

@juche, yeah, the details of FMLA and how none of it actually applies to getting paid. It's speyshul. It was also eye opening how useless my STD insurance was too and how HR/payroll didn't have much of a clue.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My OB was ridiculous about signing the STD papers.  He said he was trying to "save it" for me even though I had more than enough time.  Bastard wouldn't write me off taking calls when I was a week overdue. Dude, I wasn't sitting on my ass, a call in would send me to the pits of hell for hours on end. I'm clearly still bitter.

• Husband is getting another promotion soon, so hopefully that'll give us more of a cushion so that I can reserve some of my sick time for, you know, being sick? instead of using it all for maternity leave upon spawn. I'd rather be able to live on his income and part of mine for three months instead of using up all the leave time.

• Juche, you do realize in TN that the state adds an additional 4 weeks to FMLA, so provided you are covered, you can take off up to 16 weeks.

Just something to stash for later. And definitely set aside chunks of paycheck for unpaid leave now :). And med bills.
  • Some require you to exhaust sick time and vacation time before applying STD too.  Just something to consider.  I was very lucky I had 1 wk STD for every year or partial year of service.  I also had 4 wks vacation that I didn't need to exhaust first.  Any time between when your doctor released you and the company doctor exam wasn't counted against you either.

That year I had 2 wks off paid for my appendix and another 14 paid for baby.

• I don't even want to think about FMLA and kids.  As far as I know, I will have 2 weeks of vacation next year, and then no sick time.  And I have yet to look into FMLA.  I'll live in la la land until then.

Bank robbery?  That's just scarrry, conn.  We have a station that is about 1/2 mile away that gets robbed probably 3x a year. 

Gah, I am not ready for summer in the least.  I'm trying to find something to get excited about this year, but it's a tide-over year I'm thinking...not really a running year.  Friend is getting married this year, so I suppose that is a good thing.  H will hopefully start his probation at work this year which means he'll complete the full physical testing for the school he finished LAST Year.  Ugh.

My things:

1.  I have this mole on my face that I'm fairly certain is mostly just some sort of psoriasis, but then again...I could just be part unicorn. 

2.  SIL is turning 17 this year...weird.  I remember when she was a 6 year old silly pants who would just giggle at anything that I said, which I miss sometimes.

• thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I have 221.33 hours of sick leave accrued as of this moment. We get more than a week every year, and I haven't taken any sick time since I started here 3.5 years ago. I have five days worth of vacation time, and I'll be using that at some point this year. I never leave vacation time :x.

• I had an AFLAC STD policy when I had DD, because my employer paid zero monies (small company, did not have to follow FMLA rules).  The AFLAC stuff was THE absolute easiest stuff to deal with.  Painless, even.  I highly recommend them.
  • I don't even want to think about FMLA and kids.  As far as I know, I will have 2 weeks of vacation next year, and then no sick time.  And I have yet to look into FMLA.  I'll live in la la land until then.

Bank robbery?  That's just scarrry, conn.  We have a station that is about 1/2 mile away that gets robbed probably 3x a year. 

Gah, I am not ready for summer in the least.  I'm trying to find something to get excited about this year, but it's a tide-over year I'm thinking...not really a running year.  Friend is getting married this year, so I suppose that is a good thing.  H will hopefully start his probation at work this year which means he'll complete the full physical testing for the school he finished LAST Year.  Ugh.

My things:

1.  I have this mole on my face that I'm fairly certain is mostly just some sort of psoriasis, but then again...I could just be part unicorn. 

2.  SIL is turning 17 this year...weird.  I remember when she was a 6 year old silly pants who would just giggle at anything that I said, which I miss sometimes.

Do you have psoriasis, Oface?  Because psoriasis =/= mole.  Also, mole =/= unicorn.  But if you are part unicorn, that would be awesome.
  • I was pleasantly surprised at how much paid time off I got. I could have stayed on leave till February, albeit at only 40% of my salary or something. I wanted to go back earlier though- there is no way in hell I am fit for SAHM-ing. My European counterparts were aghast at how little time I took off though. Must be nice to have a year off at like 80% of your salary.

My morning rant is this. On the route to daycare, they are doing some road construction. No big deal but at one intersection there are several signs that say "NO LEFT TURN" and each mothereffing morning, some dummy is trying to make a freaking left turn. I had no patience so I honked loudly. I got dirty looks but I don't care. Then there was a woman going 15 miles under the speed limit on the way home. I swear, I need a chauffeur. 
  • I don't have it per-se, but I do get weird dry patches during the winter, and it's itchy and lumpy...and I just need to make a damn appointment with a derm and get it ripped off my damn face....hole be damned.
  • And you'll be happy to know I made an appointment.  Woo. 

One doctor was booking into AUGUST.  Whatttt!?
  • That doesn't sound like psoriasis.  Sounds like either eczema or skin cancer.  HTH YWIA.  <-----not a doctor.
  • Oh, I know, AF.  But every time I get all "omgmyskinisrottingoffff" it's something like "dry" or "patchy".

Whatever, we'll find out.  Kinda like I get my first mammogram this year (I hope!).
  • Derms seem to take FOREVER to get into.  The saving grace with my old one was that he had an NP in the group that could see people faster and streamline you if it was necessary.  I went to someone new to see if there was a different rosacea cream and he just wanted to laser my face.  No.

• Derms are nightmares for appointments. We're massively lucky with our patients because we contract with one specific dermatologist and he's able to see them the day we want to send them every time.

• Yep, derm appts are a PITA to schedule.

I have to make mine with my derm an entire YEAR prior. Go to current appt, make the appt for the next one. And this is the easy way.

You can bet your azz I don't reschedule that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards