Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Kate Spade dishes?

Has anyone had any experience with the Fair Harbor dinnerware by Kate Spade

I love the look of it, but the reviews on BBB are all negative.  Apparently people have had trouble with it scratching.  

Say it isn't so!

photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg

Re: Kate Spade dishes?

• Options
    I don't have it, but I see the same complaints on Dillard's and Macy's about these by googling. I wouldn't risk it, sorry :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We picked those before we read the reviews and, yeah, I'm a little concerned. I do try to keep in mind that people are generally more motivated to post reviews when they have a complaint rather than when they have praise. There could be many silently satisfied customers out there.

I have been thinking though about maybe testing out a place setting or two and returning them if necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @nebullama If you do, let me know how it goes!!
  • Options
    @kmdassow I certainly will, but it wouldn't be for awhile.  Our wedding isn't until the end of May. :(  It stinks because my mother got us a few place settings as an early wedding present, and they're just sitting there in their pretty boxes tormenting me.  I can't stand waiting to find out if they're going to break my heart.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    nebullama said:
    @kmdassow I certainly will, but it wouldn't be for awhile.  Our wedding isn't until the end of May. :(  It stinks because my mother got us a few place settings as an early wedding present, and they're just sitting there in their pretty boxes tormenting me.  I can't stand waiting to find out if they're going to break my heart.
    In this case I would break the rule, open a set and test them out so that you have time to change your registry if needed. I'm sure your mother would give you a pass on opening one set and trying them out. Especially bc if you have them now you may not be able to return them in May depending on the return policy. 
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I went to Bed Bath and Beyond to look at some other dishes and the sales clerk told me not to get the Fair Harbor set.  She said they they get returned all the time for scratches.  She did say that a high quality set of utensils will help but that if you stack them they can get scratched that way too.  

We went with the Wickford instead.  I love the weenie dogs!  (http://www.lenox.com/pattern/index.cfm?fuseaction=patDetail&wid=1&patId=1950)
  • Options
    @photokitty I just might ask her if she would mind me doing that. My mom is a very traditional sort of lady so at first I thought I should stick to the rules, but thinking about it further you might be right. Besides I'm sure she wouldn't want to waste her money on stuff we'll hate.

@kmdassow Really? They scratch if you stack them? How the hell are you supposed to store them without stacking? Why are they still selling these things? >< I'm beginning to think my only hope is the review on BB&B that says barkeeper's friend will take the scratches off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    They scratch if you stack them? How the hell are you supposed to store them without stacking? Why are they still selling these things? >< I'm beginning to think my only hope is the review on BB&B that says barkeeper's friend will take the scratches off.
    @nebullama I also thought it was very strange.  They are from Lenox so I expected the quality to be good, but I guess this one is a miss.  

I agree with @photokitty, it seems like a good idea to test them before you get a whole bunch and start having problems.  If you're worried about opening a gift you could always go buy a set and use them for a while.  If they get scratches BBB will take them back.  They have a great return policy.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards