Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Food help

Hi Ladies! I'm planning for a mid-October wedding and looking at food options for the reception. We have decided that we would like to have pie and ice cream. (My FI LOVES pie.) We are thinking of doing pecan, apple, and pumpkin pies and homemade chocolate, vanilla and possibly pumpkin ice cream. Of course we will have a small-medium size cake. What other food would you serve? Would you serve something that is not a dessert or keep on that theme? It will be a 4 or 5pm reception.

Re: Food help

• Options

4 or 5 pm reception is a meal time so you would need to serve enough food to make up a meal.  It can be as simple as pasta or as complex as steak and lobster, whatever you can affort.

The pie and ice cream sounds yummy!

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    We are trying to avoid a full meal. We just don't have the money for it. Our food and drink budget is $1000 firm for 125-150. We are having experienced friends make the pies (they work in a bakery) and my grandpa and aunt make the ice cream so all we have to pay for ingredients. (We will probably do a thank you gift for all involved but they don't want to be paid.)

Do you think soup and chili would be an option? We live in southern Kentucky so the fall is beautiful weather with just a bit of a chill. Would it be weird to have ice cream and hot soup?
  • Options
    A soup would be wonderful if the weather is predicted to be cold. I know it doesn't go with your pie theme but what about a veggie tray? This would be a nice option for someone who doesn't care for sweets or can't have sweets due to health issues (diabetes, gluten, etc.) And if you have room in the budget a couple of cheese & cracker trays? On the sweet front, what about a few cookies and/or brownies. If you will have kids there, some simple chocolate chip cookies and brownies might be easier for them then pies (and eatten more favorably too since kids can be so picky)
  • Options

Soup would be filling but I would consider doing some simple sandwiches to.  What about ham sandwiches with potato soup? 

Your other option if you want to skip a meal would be to move the ceremony to 2:00 and have the reception immediately follow.  That would put you in the clear about providing a meal (but some cheese/crackers or veggies/dips would be good for anyone who can't eat the sweets).

• Options
    sandwed1018sandwed1018 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

Thanks for your help ladies! How does this sound:

Chili & Potato Soup (possibly a third option like chicken noodle, depending on budget)

Grilled cheese, Ham sliders, PB&J (Make it yourself. I know several people that love PB&J with their chili)

Crackers and Cheese tray

Veggie tray

Pumpkin, pecan and apple pies

Chocolate, Vanilla, and Pumpkin Ice creams

Sweet tea, lemonade, punch, coffee, and hot cocoa

Wedding Cake

ETA: We can't move the ceremony time up due to vendor availability.

• Options
    Sandwiches are good too. I love the idea of a veggie tray though.

It's not fun but I think about my FI. He's diabetic and while he can have a little bit of sugar, he'll still be starving and want something that's ok to eat. Low carb things like a veggie tray or cheese platter would be a huge help for him, especially over sandwiches.

I love soup shooters and the like but they get pretty expensive to serve in my experience.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think it sounds ok, but the make your own PB & J seems a little messy.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    The soup and sandwich thing sounds great for an informal wedding. If you're having a formal wedding, you need to have more formal food. This would be yummy for a casual wedding.  I didn't see where you said if it was formal or not.

If you really can't do dinner (which you absolutely must if it's a 4 or 5 pm wedding), then push your ceremony back late to 8:00 and do a dessert reception after - the pie and ice cream, and some munchies like cheese and crackers and veggies.
  • Options
    It is going to be an informal wedding. FI is not fully on board with the soup and sandwich thing but I like the idea.
  • Options
    It is going to be an informal wedding. FI is not fully on board with the soup and sandwich thing but I like the idea.
    Why?  Because he doesn't like that idea for food or because he doesn't want to do a meal period?  If it's because he doesn't want to do a meal explain to him that you will have guests complaining about being hungry (though probably not to your face) and people may cut out early so they can go eat.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sandwed1018sandwed1018 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

@mysticl He thinks the type of food will be messy. Personally, I probably won't eat any soup since I'll be in my dress but that's ok with me.

ETA: Our original idea was to have BBQ but I think that would be much messier that soup and sandwiches.  

• Options

Chili & Potato Soup (possibly a third option like chicken noodle, depending on budget)

Grilled cheese, Ham sliders, PB&J (Make it yourself. I know several people that love PB&J with their chili)

Crackers and Cheese tray

Veggie tray

Wedding Cake

Sounds yummy!  But who is going to be making the grilled cheese sandwiches?  Those don't "keep" well in my experience, but it is one of my all time favorite comfort foods.  You will need to have someone dedicated to making them fresh (almost like a station). 

Unless you have a caterer who can accomodate you I would stick to cold cuts that can be out for awhile without getting soggy.

• Options

@mysticl He thinks the type of food will be messy. Personally, I probably won't eat any soup since I'll be in my dress but that's ok with me.

ETA: Our original idea was to have BBQ but I think that would be much messier that soup and sandwiches.  

I think you're right.  I'm not a huge BBQ fan and I really wouldn't want to eat it when I'm dressed up.  Soup shouldn't be too messy provided there are tables and chair available for everyone,  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think the making of your own PB&J sounds messy and sticky. But the soup and other sandwiches aren't really messy to eat, unless you are a spiller or a complete slob.

And really BBQ isn't messy to eat either as long as you go with BBQ items that you don't need to use your hands, such as pulled pork, bbq chicken breasts, brisket, etc.

And please eat at your wedding.  Eating is the only time you have a few minutes to just relax and enjoy the few people around you.  The rest of the night will be mingling and walking around from person to person and dancing, etc.  I ate a huge plate of red sauced pasta at my wedding.  I was just very careful when I ate it and made sure to lean over my plate so that I wasn't bringing my fork over my lap to my mouth.

• Options
    @AprilH81 I was thinking I would have someone working a station with a flat top griddle. You can make 4-8 at a time depending how you cook them.
  • Options
    @AprilH81 I was thinking I would have someone working a station with a flat top griddle. You can make 4-8 at a time depending how you cook them.

I would see if your caterer could have two of those to keep the line moving...  And have the grilled cheese "pre-made" with the butter and cheese to keep the process going.
  • Options

We are trying to avoid a full meal. We just don't have the money for it. Our food and drink budget is $1000 firm for 125-150. We are having experienced friends make the pies (they work in a bakery) and my grandpa and aunt make the ice cream so all we have to pay for ingredients. (We will probably do a thank you gift for all involved but they don't want to be paid.)

Do you think soup and chili would be an option? We live in southern Kentucky so the fall is beautiful weather with just a bit of a chill. Would it be weird to have ice cream and hot soup?

Then consider having your wedding ceremony and reception at a non meal time. So either in the morning so it ends before lunch, or in the afternoon so it ends before dinner. During those times a cake and punch, or in your case an ice cream and pie, reception is appropriate.

But a reception that falls during a meal time must have a full meal for guests.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Crackers and Cheese tray

Veggie tray

Wedding Cake

I just have to say, that all sounds SO yummy and I'd be super excited to be a guest at your wedding!
  • Options
    indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    We are trying to avoid a full meal. We just don't have the money for it. Our food and drink budget is $1000 firm for 125-150. We are having experienced friends make the pies (they work in a bakery) and my grandpa and aunt make the ice cream so all we have to pay for ingredients. (We will probably do a thank you gift for all involved but they don't want to be paid.) Do you think soup and chili would be an option? We live in southern Kentucky so the fall is beautiful weather with just a bit of a chill. Would it be weird to have ice cream and hot soup?
    If you cannot afford a meal, you MUST MUST MUST change your 5pm reception time to a time that does not cover meal time.

I am sorry, but SOUP and PB/J at a 5pm wedding with 100 guests is lame. That is not sufficent in my opinion.

You need to a) change your size to be tinier so you can feed them responsible OR b) change your wedding time to a respectable time.

I am telling you, if you feed your 100+ guests nothing but soup and PBJ, you will have the wedding that everyone talks about for years to come..and not in a good way
  • Options
    We are trying to avoid a full meal. We just don't have the money for it. Our food and drink budget is $1000 firm for 125-150. We are having experienced friends make the pies (they work in a bakery) and my grandpa and aunt make the ice cream so all we have to pay for ingredients. (We will probably do a thank you gift for all involved but they don't want to be paid.) Do you think soup and chili would be an option? We live in southern Kentucky so the fall is beautiful weather with just a bit of a chill. Would it be weird to have ice cream and hot soup?
    If you cannot afford a meal, you MUST MUST MUST change your 5pm reception time to a time that does not cover meal time.

I am sorry, but SOUP and PB/J at a 5pm wedding with 100 guests is lame. That is not sufficent in my opinion.

You need to a) change your size to be tinier so you can feed them responsible OR b) change your wedding time to a respectable time.

I am telling you, if you feed your 100+ guests nothing but soup and PBJ, you will have the wedding that everyone talks about for years to come..and not in a good way
    Normally I would agree, but chili and potato soup are very hearty and filling soups.  You add in sandwiches (not just PB&J), a veggie tray and pie and ice cream and that is more than enough for a filling meal.
  • Options
    @indianaalum you're telling me you would still be hungry after a bowl of chili, grilled cheese, a piece of pie, bowl of ice cream, 5-6 crackers, 1-2 oz of cheese, and handful of various veggies....??????...... That sounds like more than enough of a meal to me.
  • Options
    @indianaalum you're telling me you would still be hungry after a bowl of chili, grilled cheese, a piece of pie, bowl of ice cream, 5-6 crackers, 1-2 oz of cheese, and handful of various veggies....??????...... That sounds like more than enough of a meal to me.
    That's because it is plenty of food.  For your informal/casual wedding, the food you are providing is perfect.

Ooh and maybe think about having some white rice on had for the chili.  I don't know about others but I love serving my chili over rice.

• Options
    I agree with many other posters: you are having a reception during meal time, so you must serve a meal.

As for the meal, I think soup and chili sound delicious! I LOVE hot chili and soup, especially in the fall months. I think it's nice, especially for an intimate and cozy dinner.

Also, I don't think the ice cream with the soup will be weird at all--people will likely eat their ice cream with pie. It's no different than having ice cream and pie after a hot dinner on Thanksgiving!

I think @Maggie0829 's idea to include white rice is also a great one. Chili and rice are delicious together and really hearty. Plus, rice is very affordable. You could even have some shredded cheese available to melt on top of soups. All of these ideas are great ones that would make your meal delicious and filling.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    You could do it like a soup bar/station with various cheeses, croutons, crackers, bean sprouts, or other crunchy things for people to add on top. These things are all delicious with soups and elevate the presentation as well. I think it would also add a fun element to the meal.
  • Options
    indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

Would I be hungry? no, but It still doesn't seem like a "normal" wedding meal for a meal time. IT seems like a hodge podge array of foods that would end up backfiring and still ending up being insufficient because 1000.00  for food for 125-150 people means people are NOT going to be properly fed based on her ideas. I am guessing that would be very small portion sizes in the end. Also, Grilled cheese which is extremely temperamenta and is probably not going to work out like plannedl.

Truth be told, if I am going to a wedding that has 125-150 people at a MEAL time, I think Soup and Sandwich is still lame for a wedding

I think the the OP is much betteer off cutting her guest list and hosting her guests more properly.

• Options
    I agree with many other posters: you are having a reception during meal time, so you must serve a meal.

As for the meal, I think soup and chili sound delicious! I LOVE hot chili and soup, especially in the fall months. I think it's nice, especially for an intimate and cozy dinner.

Also, I don't think the ice cream with the soup will be weird at all--people will likely eat their ice cream with pie. It's no different than having ice cream and pie after a hot dinner on Thanksgiving!

I think @Maggie0829 's idea to include white rice is also a great one. Chili and rice are delicious together and really hearty. Plus, rice is very affordable. You could even have some shredded cheese available to melt on top of soups. All of these ideas are great ones that would make your meal delicious and filling.

Best of luck!
    Except the person has a guest list of 125-150 people. to ME, a wedding that size is not going to work out with the soup.sandwich idea.

• Options

****  Stuck in box

Yes I would. I don't eat chili and unless the grilled cheese is grilled in front of me I more than likely will not eat it either.   Not a pie fan either.

Your best bet is to change the time and keep it dessert themed.   If that is not really an option then I would go with cold cut trays for make your own sandwiches.  You can have various breads, meats, cheeses and other fixings.   That not only gives you more variety, but will hold better after time then grilled cheese will.

Good Luck.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    A. As I said before, the time is non negotiable. Period. It has to do with building access times and vendor availability.

B. Who ever said I have to have (what others deem as) "normal" wedding food? What ever happened to being different?

C. This is going to be a SIMPLE, INFORMAL, LAID BACK, southern wedding. We aren't doing anything fancy at all.

D. IF we go with the grilled cheese, it will be a manned station, where they are made as needed so they are fresh. I believe I mentioned this already.

E. $1000 food budget for 125-150 people is not unreasonable. We don't live in a large city so prices aren't crazy high. Also, we will only have to pay for ingredients for the pie and ice cream because they are being made by a family friend (voluntarily).

F. I would like to say thank you to those of you who support the idea and make helpful suggestions.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014

Best of luck!
    Except the person has a guest list of 125-150 people. to ME, a wedding that size is not going to work out with the soup.sandwich idea.

But you would think it would work for say a wedding of 50?

Look I get that this is not a "normal" wedding meal, but she is providing enough food for her guests at a meal time.  She is not having your typical ballroom wedding, she is having something casual so a more casual meal is perfectly acceptable.

OP, I also thought that maybe you add a chicken noodle soup or maybe even a tortellini soup as well to give some different options to your guests (aka, broth based soups if your guests want something not so heavy or creamy)

Also with the grilled cheeses you could do more "gourmet" options by adding meat and/or veggies with differing types of cheeses (maybe take a look at a Panera menu and see what they offer on their grilled cheeses).

ETA additional thoughts.

• Options
    Yeah, it's not like she is just having bowl of broth and a skimpy sandwich. There is plenty of food.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards