Chit Chat

Sticker Shock

2»

Re: Sticker Shock

• JC - I'm using Genesis Events. I think they're in Long Island. But if they're traveling to me, they would for sure go to you. Check them out. Their price was very reasonable. We've been working with John. He's a friend of one of my FI's friends. 
    Thanks-- they ring a bell.  Music, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• definitely went through that!  My H flipped out when he saw the estimate at the first venue we liked; I thought he was going to call off the wedding, lol.  I agreed the quote was outrageous and not worth it at all...so we went back to the drawing board and found a perfect venue, all inclusive and under budget!  Sometimes you just have to look around.  You can still find nice things for a better price you just have to look for it.  Talk to vendors, tell them your budget--many times they will work with you if they want the job. 

I laughed at the photographer that tried to sell us a 9k wedding package.  And the florist who started at 3k...seriously!? OMG, CAKES!! Who spends that much money on flour and sugar haha.  Some of those quotes blew my mind.  We had a great photographer for under 3k, an amazingly delicious cake that people still rave about for under $300 and beautiful flowers for a little over 1k.  It can be done! 

add wedding to the equation and the price doubles!!   

Anniversary

• JC - I'm using Genesis Events. I think they're in Long Island. But if they're traveling to me, they would for sure go to you. Check them out. Their price was very reasonable. We've been working with John. He's a friend of one of my FI's friends. 

Thanks-- they ring a bell.  Music, right?

Yup!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I want to recommend the book Bridal Bargains by Denise and Alan Fields.  This book has great ideas for budget brides.  They led me to Pearl's Place, where we saved hundreds of dollars on daughter's wedding dress!  Lots of great ideas, and well worth the price.  Get a used copy on Amazon.com.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @erinlin25 We had that reaction when we wanted to replace all the windows in our home. FI and his father figured out they could buy the materials and do it all themselves for around $2,000. We said let's get a contractor's quote just for the hell of it. One guy told us with a straight face $22,000. FI said "I'm really sorry but it's time for you to leave and go get your face fucked" hahahah

• I've done many battles on the budget board about our "budget NJ" wedding. Everything is crazy expensive here. Did you try looking at the preferred or in house vendors from your venue. They usually can save you money. We booked photos, video and DJ in house and saved about 4k.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the ideas, everybody!  @CMGragain, I think I will pick up a used copy of that book.  @HobokenBride2012, I know.... my budget is so far above what people are working with on the "budget" board, I feel like a huge jerk.  But it's like, go to the NJ/NYC area, multiply by 4.  I have meetings lined up with the "preferred" vendors for DJ and photographer, but haven't gotten price quotes yet, so I have no idea if it will save money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I had an idea of what to expect most of my friends are already married.  We're spending more than I expected to but because we decided to add on somethings such as photo booth, Vienese hour, and expand the floral budget.  Although I do feel like NJ is such an expensive place to get married in.  On numerous occaisions I thought about scrapping our plans and getting married in Vegas.

Yes, NJ is just OTT expensive for everything.  Our budget would sound like a dream in the South or Midwest, but we are way below average for NJ and it's stressing me out.
    Everything really is so freaking expensive for things. Our budget is way, way less than yours so I totally feel you on the sticker shock at first (we also had to book a lot of stuff before we had money in hand, but knew we had plenty of time to save). I've seriously DIYed pretty much everything I possibly could, and it's still been hard to stay under our magic number. If there's anything I can help you with, let me know. I'm probably going to go through DIY-withdrawal after my wedding. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We looked at a DW partially for cost.  A friend got married in Cuba for $6000 and I loved that thought.  We ended up spending pretty much what we would have staying here.  I wouldn't change a thing though

• We looked at a DW partially for cost.  A friend got married in Cuba for $6000 and I loved that thought.  We ended up spending pretty much what we would have staying here.  I wouldn't change a thing though
    FI originally pushed for a DW and thought it would be cheaper. I explained to him that by the time it was all said and done, it would be comparable to what we're paying here, with no guarantee that all of our VIPs would be able to make it.

Also, I'm a *bit* of a Type-A control freak, so the idea of having to handle it all from afar and not having as many vendors to choose from or variation/substitutions in packages kinda turned me off of the idea. If I wanted the freedom and control I have here, we would have had to pay for a higher-end resort than the ones he was looking at.

Finally, I didn't want to run the risk of someone staying with us into our honeymoon, and he was opposed to hopping to another resort after the wedding.

• @JCBride2014

I'm a fellow Jersey girl.  I can PM you a list of my vendors and cost if you'd like.  Idk what your budget is but I'd be more than happy to help :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Floral killed me. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money so I planned some non floral center pieces with my mom and I'm carry paper flowers.

Photog, food/booze.. Invites even! Ok, everything. Everything is more expensive than I thought it would be. Oy.
  • @JCBride2014 if you need recco's on vendors let me know too.  Not sure where you are getting married either and of course the wedding hasn't happened yet but I've had no issues with working with any of them so far.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards