Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Wedding Planner or Sister?

My wedding is going to be early 2015 in New York and I'm trying to figure out whether it's a good idea to have my FW's sister be the wedding planner or whether we should hire someone.  What do you think?  And let me know if you used a wedding planner and how you felt about it. Thanks!

Re: Wedding Planner or Sister?

• We hired a DOC and it was by far the best money we spent.  The DOC package included "ongoing consultation", which basically meant we could ask her for suggestions/opinions/etc anytime we wanted.  She pointed us to some fabulous vendors and always had great advice.  Her connections with various vendors also helped us to get some deals as well.

I'm also in the camp of mixing business with family/friends is a bad idea.
  • hlvonb said:
    AshSwe said:
    My wedding is going to be early 2015 in New York and I'm trying to figure out whether it's a good idea to have my FW's sister be the wedding planner or whether we should hire someone.  What do you think?  And let me know if you used a wedding planner and how you felt about it. Thanks!
    @AshSwe

I personally would hire someone else. Letting family plan / help plan your wedding is asking for trouble and drama
    Do you think there is some role that my FW's sister could play?  If so, do you have any suggestions?  What about making her responsible for a specific set of responsibilities?
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Unless you plan to PAY her, she should not be "made responsible for a specific set of responsibilities."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @knotporsha -- this person doesn't actually want advice.  After answering her question she followed up with a PM explaining she's a student doing research and looking for people to take a survey
  • AddieL73 said:
    Unless you plan to PAY her, she should not be "made responsible for a specific set of responsibilities."
    I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this.  I think she wants to help.  If she is asking, "How can I help?" then either we can say, "Here is how you can help," or we can say, "We've got it covered."  Are you suggesting the latter is better?  If so, why?
  • Ven&Radio said:
    @knotporsha -- this person doesn't actually want advice.  After answering her question she followed up with a PM explaining she's a student doing research and looking for people to take a survey
    I want advice and also was looking for survey responses.  : >

A person can want 2 things, no?
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2014
    AshSwe said:
    hlvonb said:
    AshSwe said:
    @AshSwe

I personally would hire someone else. Letting family plan / help plan your wedding is asking for trouble and drama
    Do you think there is some role that my FW's sister could play?  If so, do you have any suggestions?  What about making her responsible for a specific set of responsibilities?
    @KnotPorscha

She is posting her survey questions on here as well so when people don't click on the link to the survey she messages people she still gets her answers
  • hlvonb said:
    AshSwe said:
    hlvonb said:
    AshSwe said:
    @AshSwe

@KnotPorscha

She is posting her survey questions on here as well so when people don't click on the link to the survey she messages people she still gets her answers
    Do you really think that for a school project I need to learn what role I should suggest that my future wife's sister should play in helping arrange my wedding?  I am not doing a masters in family coordination.
  • Don't mix family/friends and business.  Hire someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards