Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Wedding Announcements?

What do you ladies think of these?  My Husband (so cool to say that!) and I both have very close family who  could  not make it to our wedding due to age/distance/ financial inability.  Is it okay to send them an announcement?  I'm pretty sure all of them sent us cards/gifts so I'm hoping it's not gift grabby. 

Should I do it? Did you send any?

Re: Wedding Announcements?

• antoto said:
    What do you ladies think of these?  My Husband (so cool to say that!) and I both have very close family who  could  not make it to our wedding due to age/distance/ financial inability.  Is it okay to send them an announcement?  I'm pretty sure all of them sent us cards/gifts so I'm hoping it's not gift grabby. 

Should I do it? Did you send any?
    @antoto

We're not sending any to specific people but my fiance wants to put an announcement in the local town's paper where he grew up and one for the town I grew up in.
  • My mother wanted to send some to her cousins, who weren't invited because we had a small wedding. I was worried about the gift grab thing, so I worded them as from my parents:

Mom and Dad
    are proud to announce the marriage of their daughter
    EmmyG65 
    and
    New Husband
    etc., etc.

I also gave them to my mom to send out, so they'd have my parents' address, not mine.

Were these close family of yours invited to the wedding? Do they know about it otherwise? If so, I don't think there's any need for announcements.
  • If they were actually invited to the wedding, you don't need to send announcements.  If they weren't invited, I like @emmyg65 's idea to have them come from parents.
  • They were invited, but since they live in China it was pretty impossible for them to make it. I guess we don't HAVE to, I just thought maybe they might like it since it would have photos on it. And yes they are close, they are my husband's aunts and uncles. I have a bit of time to continue mulling it over. Thanks for the thoughts!
  • Just send them a letter with a few photos, or email them a link to some. It's kind of weird to announce a wedding they already knew about.
  • emmyg65 said:
    Just send them a letter with a few photos, or email them a link to some. It's kind of weird to announce a wedding they already knew about.
    Yeah I agree with you.  It's just a little difficult because they do not have computers (farmer in rural China) and my DH left China when he was 10 so he only knows how to write words like dagger, and they do not read English.  Hmmmmmm.  Maybe just pictures and a simple note that says "Thank you!" or something like that?  They gave us red envelopes and I don't even know how to write a thank you note to them :/
  • Can your husband's parents help write a brief note?
  • They could, but they live in a different state and we wont be seeing them for a while.
  •    Since we are having immediate family only at the wedding we are going to send announcements out to friends and relatives who we don't see often, so mostly his family since most of mine are local. 

We are going to send it as more of a 'we moved here is our new address' and then mention we got married. We currently don't live together and will be moving into a new place as I currently live with my parents and his apartment is Waaaaaay to small for us and our (well, my) stuff. 
  • I don't usually post on this board, but I saw the title.
    Wedding announcements are formal.  They are a personal way of informing friends and family who were not invited to the wedding that it has taken place.  They do not have photos on them.  They do not indicate that the receiver should send a gift.  It is just like putting an announcement in the newspaper, but more personal.
    Here are some possible wordings:

Mr. and Mrs. John Bridesparents
    announce the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. James Bridegroom
    Date
    City, State 

Brides Full Name
    and
    Grooms Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date
    City, State

No wedding information should be included.  It would be like saying, "You weren't invited, but look what a good time we had!"  You don't send wedding announcements to people who were invited to your wedding, whether they could attend, or not.  Gifts are not expected, but people often send congratulatory cards.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Lol wasn't planning on having any wording at all other than our names since they cannot read English.  Without photos they would have no idea what the heck the card was.  I think I'm just going to go for skipping any sort of announcement (everyone made a good point that you don't send them to people who were invited) and instead send them a few photos with a simple "Thank you!" included.

Thanks everyone for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards