Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engagement Announcement

How did you announce your engagement to family and friends? Did you call your parents/closest friends and then announce it to everyone else on Facebook or did you call everyone i.e. grandparents, FIL, ect first and then announce it on Facebook? There are family members that follow me and I am not sure if I should call them first before they see my Facebook announcement....

Re: Engagement Announcement

• Options
    Do not announce your engagement on Facebook.  Stay off of Facebook for all wedding plans.  There have been so many posts here about brides who did this, and Grandma was insulted that she didn't hear the news in person!
    The proper place to announce an engagement is the newspaper.  This can get expensive, especially if you live in a major city.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    How did you announce your engagement to family and friends? Did you call your parents/closest friends and then announce it to everyone else on Facebook or did you call everyone i.e. grandparents, FIL, ect first and then announce it on Facebook? There are family members that follow me and I am not sure if I should call them first before they see my Facebook announcement....
    @SehlinBride

I told family that was close (in terms of distance) in person. I called the others. Then after that notified close friends. Then I changed my status on Facebook. In that order
  • Options
    I told family who was there (for Christmas), my BestFriend/MOH, called and told rest of family, told rest of friends, changed facebook status. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He proposed at my parent's house, we then called my sister, emailed my best girl friends, he called his family. We told people in person as much as possible, everyone else got phone calls.

Waited at least a month to put it on Facebook. I have found out about engagements of close friends on Facebook before and it is really rude. Wait till everyone who matters knows, then post it online for the super random folks you went to high school with at a later date.
  • Options
    I FaceTimed my parents and then changed my FB status.

I didn't really have many people that I felt I needed to tell "in person", you have to know your crowd.

If I announced my engagement in the paper then literally no one would know I was engaged. It might be a cute keepsake though.
  • Options
    We told our parents first, then we texted/called our close friends and then changed the status on FB once we were sure that everyone important to us knew without finding out on social media. FI's mom also put an announcement in the paper but that was more for a keepsake (our town has a really crappy local paper that hardly anyone reads anymore). Just know your crowd and think about who would be offended if they didn't hear it from you directly and instead found out on FB.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies! Super helpful...I do not want to offend any of my family members so that is a good point! My grandma follows me on Facebook so it would be insulting if my parents or myself didn't tell her first.
  • Options
    RedJacks25RedJacks25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I told family, close friends, then Facebook.

ETA: I wanted to keep it just between me and FI for awhile because it was something that was so personal and perfect and I wanted it just to be ours for a little longer, but then I realized that FI had told his brother he was proposing, and I didn't want him to jump the gun and post anything on Facebook about it before I had the chance to tell the important people in my life. So I went ahead and told people sooner than I originally wanted to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I called my parents first, then told them to spread the word to my brother, aunts, uncles, Grandma, etc. I was in Europe on a cruise and could only make limited phone calls. I then emailed my closest girlfriends. Once we returned  home and I felt all my important people knew, I then put it on Facebook. 
  • Options
    I took a picture of my hand with the engagement ring on and sent a mass text to my closest family and friends. I live in NY and my parents live in GA, so I FaceTimed them and told them. After I made sure all the people closest to me knew, I posted the engagement on Facebook, changed my relationship status, and posted my proposal video. 
  • Options
    My husband proposed to me BY changing our FB statuses to engaged while I was asleep, so most of my friends and family knew before I did. For the others, we just called them and told them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    FB wasn't really for people out of college when DH proposed.  :-/    

We called my parents and brother since DH had previously called my parents and said he was doing it that night.    My dad gave his blessing and he got a phone call about 3 hours later.   We saw my ILs two days later so they found out in person. 
  • Options
    Day 1 I called my Dad, Aunt who is like a sister to me and my BFF's
    Day 2 I called grandparents, some aunts/uncles
    Day 3 called the rest of the Aunts/uncles and friends
    Day 14 it went on facebook.

• Options
    FI proposed when he was home on R&R over the holidays (proposed on 12/21), so we called my BFF the next morning, then went and saw his kids and told them (they are with their aunt and uncle while he's deployed), then we were able to tell his family on Christmas Eve, then told my family on Christmas Day.  Then I changed my FB status.  

• Options
    His parents and sisters knew before he proposed and were called afterward. My parents got the news same day. For everyone else, we changed the FB status. Most of my family are out of country and long distance calling is expensive (plus I don't have their numbers and haven't heard from many of them in years). Some of our friends (not our close friends, might I add) were insulted that they didn't know before he proposed or that I didn't call them right away afterwards, but for us and our cultures, only the immediate family and people involved in choosing the ring need to know right away or beforehand. Our friends were more hurt that he didn't let them know what he was doing before he did so (is that normal?) than that they didn't get a call right away.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LizaFLizaF member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2014
    We have been together for almost 10 years. He proposed while we were on vacation in Jamaica. We did not tell anyone, except random people at the resort, until we got back. It felt very intimate and romantic to have our secret. Only his dad knew. I wanted to tell my parents first and in person. We invited them over for dinner when we got back home. The next day I called my brother and grandmother and he called his mom. Then I sent a mass text to cousins, aunts, uncles and close friends. It was fun to get texts and calls back. A few hours later I changed my status to engaged on Facebook. The flood gates opened after that with congratulatory responses. I debated whether to post on Facebook or not and finally decided it is the modern day version of announcing the engagement in the news paper. If we announced in the paper, none of our friends would see it. It made sense to do Facebook instead. I also debated how to announce it. I decided to simply change my status and profile picture to a shot of us in Jamaica. I had a lot of comments to post a picture of the ring but I think that is tacky or bragging. No one would post a picture of their ring in the paper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards