Not Engaged Yet

Door Four

Today is the 4th anniversary of me being on TK. TK just told me that.

What was going on in your life four years ago?

I was about to graduate from grad school. I was a bridesmaid. I was anticipating working full time in my new career. I had never lived with a man before. Or posted on a message board. Or met anyone IRL through the internet. I had just learned that my parents were full of unimaginable drama. Later this month, four years ago, H brought up marriage in the "soon" sense.

Re: Door Four

• Four years ago I was living in Michigan, dating ex-fi(bf at the time) and going to school. My life wasn't too fun.

So glad for the changes I've made!!
  • Four years ago FI & I were together  I just finished a show and we were getting ready to go to the Bahamas, it was our first time going to the bahamas together too.  I was also still studying for my CFP exam..yuck.  I like today better.

Anniversary

• Four years ago, I was in the middle of an enormous transition. I had just broken up with a man I had dated for three years, lived with, and planned to marry. I had to move back in with my parents. I was in an unfulfilling job and seriously job hunting for a new position in a different state. It was pretty awful. 

I set an intention on New Year's Day that 2010 was going to be my year, and it was. In August 2010, I got a new job and moved to a new city and state, where I found awesome new friends and new hobbies. And eventually met my DH! The changes to my life, attitude and behavior in those four years have been monumental!
  • Gosh, four years ago I was in the midst of Spring semester of my sophomore year of college. 

I had just started dating my ex BF in the previous Fall. 

I was also at the ripe age of 20 haha. 

I had no idea what I was going to do after I graduated but I was studying Biology and figured I would do something with that. That didn't happen haha.
  • Four years ago I was living in a tiny 7th floor walk-up apartment in NYC with my friend, we were going out at least 3 times a week, and I was working at my first full time job. I wasn't seriously dating anyone, and if you told me I'd be engaged, living in a nice apartment, and have a dog 4 years later, I would have thought you were crazy,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Four years ago I was still in college, I was working at a bank and volunteering at a nursing home.  I was living on my own in an apartment and looking for a house to rent with my (now) ex.
    Anniversary

• Gosh I'm young. Four years ago I was in my junior year of high school (yes, high school!) and had just started dating my current BF. I hadn't even really started seriously thinking about college and was anxious about my future. I was about to take a road trip with my mom to look at a bunch of colleges. 

• 4 years ago I had just turned 21. I was busting my ass in business school but also partying a lot. I had just gotten accepted for my school’s work abroad program in Austria and I was SO excited. I didn’t know that my mom had only a few months to live.

Oh, to be young and carefree again...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Four years ago I was in a miserable relationship that I thought was normal. I lived in the old farmhouse apartment with Buddy and the ex. I was working in a different position at my employer and was getting burned out.

By the end of 2010, the ex left, I was still in the apartment and still had the same job. It's kind of sad how bad it was four years ago BUT three years ago was so much better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • SmileDamnitSmileDamnit member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Oh wow, my life was on the brink of maaaaajor change 4 years ago. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times", so very Dickens!

I traveled a lot that year, for work and pleasure (Vegas, Madison, SoCal, Iowa, North Carolina, Tennessee); I was in the prime of a cheesy jump shot blog that I used to have (people from around the world would send in pictures of them doing jump shots. random, I know); I found out that my live-in BF of 6 years was cheating and that threw everything into a spiral; I discovered it was the greatest blessing I could have been given as it opened the door for the next chapter in my journey. Life was (IS!) crazy, hard, and oh-so-good!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was in grad school (oh hey, I still am!) and H and I were planning our wedding.  We got married in the fall of 2010.  We had just adopted Minnie and were snuggling her lots (still are!)  I spent a lot of time in the spring of 2010 debating whether or not to stay in grad school because apparently a PhD takes fucking forever. 
  • I used to think of my life in 4 year increments. Like 4 years of HS, 4 years of college, 4 years out of college, etc. Using that logic, I am in my senior year at my job, but I'm definitely not leaving this year. I have no specific plans to leave this job.

Anyone else think of their life like that?
  • Four years ago I was working my butt off at work (and still am) and just about to get my dog.  Getting that dog was life changing for me...it was the first time I ever (and I mean ever) did something for me that was instinctual and perhaps a little (or lot) irresponsible.  He turned out to be a huge beast and I love him even when he frustrates me...he taught me a lot of patience.  He also opened up my heart and mind to the possibility of getting in a relationship again and I met H shortly thereafter. 
  • TwoDimes said:
    Niccirf said:
    Oh wow, my life was on the brink of maaaaajor change 4 years ago. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times", so very Dickens!

I traveled a lot that year, for work and pleasure (Vegas, Madison, SoCal, Iowa, North Carolina, Tennessee); I was in the prime of a cheesy jump shot blog that I used to have (people from around the world would send in pictures of them doing jump shots. random, I know); I found out that my live-in BF of 6 years was cheating and that threw everything into a spiral; I discovered it was the greatest blessing I could have been given as it opened the door for the next chapter in my journey. Life was (IS!) crazy, hard, and oh-so-good!
    1) Where in Iowa did you travel? Obviously that was the most exciting place you went. Obviously.

2) One of my most prized possessions is a "jump shot" of three friends and I jumping in front of the Colosseum! Would you have used something like that??
     1). The boomin' city of Des Moines, woot! Born an Iowan - lived in DM until my freshman year of HS when we moved to North Carolina (hello, culture shock!). It really is a quite nice place; surprisingly has a lot of culture, and the school systems were (are still?) fantastic. Weather blows, though.

2). Yes, yes, YES!! I don't jump a ton any more for some reason, but I still get ridiculously happy when I see someone taking a jump shot. This is one of my faves, taken on a trip to South Africa during grad school:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Four years ago I was in my final semester of undergrad starting to sort out just how grad school was going to work. I'm doing grad school the same place I did my undergrad, which I know is a no-no, but I'm doing my research outside my department. It evens out.

BF and I had been dating a year and a half? Not sure, I'm bad at math this morning. I had been approved for my apartment with the lovely large kitchen and I was really excited because it was pet-friendly. I got Ellie in November of that year.
  • @niccirf - I definitely was thinking 'basketball jump shot' during your first post, so I'm glad you put in a picture.

Four years ago, I was a few weeks away from getting my Master's. I was fully on the BSC train, waiting (not-so) patiently for now-DH to propose (it took him another 16 months). I was living the dream in Scottsdale, AZ....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Four years ago, I had just started dating my last ex-boyfriend. I was living in the 'burbs, and working at a lab. My life was honestly incredibly boring.

If you'd told me that in four years, I'd be living in the city, going to grad school, and planning a wedding to someone other than the guy I was seeing at the time, I would have TOTALLY believed you.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~

• TwoDimes said:
    I used to think of my life in 4 year increments. Like 4 years of HS, 4 years of college, 4 years out of college, etc. Using that logic, I am in my senior year at my job, but I'm definitely not leaving this year. I have no specific plans to leave this job.

Anyone else think of their life like that?
    Sort of. By that logic I should be staying at this job another year.... but I don't wanna :) It did feel weird to me the first time I had a "real" job out of college and didn't get more than a day off at Christmas. It had been 20+ years of at least a week off (more for college breaks). It felt weird working on Christmas Eve and going back to work the day after Christmas.
    My first 5 years out of college I was teaching elementary school then in grad school. 2010 was the first year my life wasn't based around a school calendar (Well since I started school in 1980 whatever). 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Four years ago I was 22 and still living in South Dakota after graduating college in spring 2009. I was working two part time jobs ... one in retail and the second as a radio announcer and news writer for a local station. I was still dating my ex and only a couple of months away from discovering that he had been cheating on me with our then roommate. Luckily later that year I left his stupid ugly ass and moved back to Atlanta, got my first full-time salaried job and started to strike it out on my own again.

There are a lot of things I would go back and change or do differently but in many ways they led me to where I am now and I wouldn't change me or the life I have right now for anything.

• I went back to FB to find out what I was doing in 2010. 

- In December, I had a horrible allergic reaction to something, and was covered in hives from the end of December through January. 

- I was living with one of my friends and her dog, who I absolutely adored.

- A whole group of my friends were married & starting to have babies, and according to FB, I was very sad that I was behind.

- I sat courtside at a Duke basketball game. 

- I was blonde.

- I got stood up at a wedding.

- I was in my college roommate's wedding... and I've hardly talked to her since.

- I was a groupie for a band that the guy who stood me up for aforementioned wedding was in.

- I got tattooed with my mom.

- I went to San Francisco.

- I went to Aruba.

- I went to back-to-back DMB concerts.

- My best friend had her first daughter the day after my birthday. My cousin threw me a surprise party, and I didn't pay any attention the whole time, because I was waiting for the text to tell me that the baby had arrived, because she was in labor the whole time.

- I had knee surgery.

*******************************************************************************************

• minskat30 said:
    Four years ago I was working my butt off at work (and still am) and just about to get my dog.  Getting that dog was life changing for me...it was the first time I ever (and I mean ever) did something for me that was instinctual and perhaps a little (or lot) irresponsible.  He turned out to be a huge beast and I love him even when he frustrates me...he taught me a lot of patience.  He also opened up my heart and mind to the possibility of getting in a relationship again and I met H shortly thereafter. 
    I love this! I think doing something instinctually is sometimes the best thing we can do--I love how you put it. Also I really want to get a dog, so that might have something to do with why that stuck out to me. 
  • I'm following @BriSox81's lead and seeing what facebook tells me I did in 2010:

I was in grad school (which basically means I had no life, whatsoever).  I went to lab, did experiments, and generally hated my life.  I also wrote my thesis.  It was awesome, apparently, but my boss didn't agree (all my other committee members did!) 

I ALSO MOVED IN WITH BF!  And we got stuck in a hotel for 2 days because of the Blizzard of 2010.  With a UHaul.  It was awesome.

That's about it.  I think we also went to Gettysburg, but that was not on facebook.  I was apparently not good at facebooking in 2010.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • mbross3 said:
    minskat30 said:
    Four years ago I was working my butt off at work (and still am) and just about to get my dog.  Getting that dog was life changing for me...it was the first time I ever (and I mean ever) did something for me that was instinctual and perhaps a little (or lot) irresponsible.  He turned out to be a huge beast and I love him even when he frustrates me...he taught me a lot of patience.  He also opened up my heart and mind to the possibility of getting in a relationship again and I met H shortly thereafter. 
    I love this! I think doing something instinctually is sometimes the best thing we can do--I love how you put it. Also I really want to get a dog, so that might have something to do with why that stuck out to me. 
    Thank you.  He really did change my life.  It was crazy to get such a stubborn ass, huge dog on my own but I just knew it was going to be the start of something freeing, ironically, to me.  It put my job (which I was working myself to the bone at) in perspective and he brought me out of my shell.  I love that pup (though there are a lot of moments when I pull my hair out around him too).  :)
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Adopting my bird changed my life, but I adopted him 5.5 years ago, not 4 years ago :)
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Let's see 4 years ago I was living with BF, wondering when this engagement thing was ever going to happen and contemplating actually breaking up. I was 31 and DYING. We went to Cancun that year with a big group of friends and had the most fun. I was training for my fist 1/2 marathon. My bird died that I'd had since I was 18 died in the spring and we got our cat Dexter in December.

• Four years ago was March 2010 (derrrr, but I was seriously having trouble figuring out what I was doing with just, "I was 20" in my head).

I was living in a dorm for the first time ever with a seriously obnoxious roommate, but still loving every moment of it because I was out of the house! And that was a good thing, because both of my brothers were living at home and using at the time, so they were not in the best place, and neither were my parents while trying to deal with that.

I was studying Psychology and was not really sure what direction to take afterward. I figured I could always do the grad school thing and become a counselor, but my heart wasn't totally in that, so I experimented with a lot of English and History classes to expand my horizons. I wasn't seriously considering nursing yet because I didn't think I could handle the pre-reqs.

Ex-BF and I were super-grande in love, and this was around the point where I became my most BSC about our relationship. We had broken up and gotten back together about a year before, and I was like, "OMG, we've been back together for almost a year and this is GREAT! We should get MARRIED someday!"

I don't think I would have been surprised about nursing school. I wouldn't have been happy AT ALL that I was living with my mom through it, but it would have made sense to me to do that through school. I would have been shocked and horrified to find out that C and I were no longer together. It was a really good time in our relationship, and we had a great thing going while we were in school. We ended up growing into different goals and wanting different things out of life and each other that we just couldn't meet, but there was no way I could have known that would happen back then.

Even though I don't know where I'll be four years from now, I'm glad this is where I wound up. So now I'm excited to find out what will happen in my life by 2018! :)

• Four years ago I was about to graduate college.  That's pretty much it.  Wow, my life was boring 4 years ago haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    4 years ago was pretty lame for about 10 months, then about 10 months in to the year, my boyfriend and I decided that after 9 years together we should take some time apart to make sure we really should be together, we spent 5 months broken up and 8 months living apart and then we realized we couldn't live without each other, and here we are today :) The rest of the year was mostly raising my then 2 turning 3 year old with lots of trips to the zoo, and many girls nights with my friends to keep me sane! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards