Not Engaged Yet

Speaking of hair problems...

Do you feel guilty when you switch to a new/different stylist?  Do you feel like you're cheating on your old one? 

I'm rather picky about who cuts my hair, as I'm sure we all are.  I have naturally curly hair, so I usually leave the salon looking like a bad '80's video and I have to go home immediatley and wash and restyle.  Once I find someone I like, I am pretty loyal, but if I get tired of the way my hair looks then I think if I find someone new then I will have this incredibly fabulous new do. 

My last girl, she was great.  She knows a lot about styling curly hair so she was one of the only people who I could go to and then actually go out in public afterward without having to run home and redo my hair.  Well, she's a bit of a drive, and charges a bit more for the curly cut.  I didn't mind, but I've grown lazy.  I also wasn't thrilled with her hair coloring skills.  So last week I switched.  I feel guilty, as my old girl had friended me on FB and everything (we do have a lot in common, too).  Anyway, my new person was decent enough...but I had to run home and wash/restyle.  At least she's only five minutes from home.

Re: Speaking of hair problems...

• I used to be a hairstylist, and clients would leave and go elsewhere after I was their stylist for years, it's no hard feelings though, I mean, I didn't take it personally. My salon manager used to berate clients who left, went somewhere else and came back. When that would happen to me, I wouldn't care. It wasn't that I did anything wrong, our salon was extremely high-volume and sometimes the owner would hire receptionists that couldn't handle booking clients correctly. People are busy and don't have time to wait around, it was understandable.

I had the same hairstylist for 10 years, then I started cosmetology school and just had my hair did there at cost, then when I worked at salons we would just do each others hair. After I got out of the business, I went back to my old salon manager which was fine, just a long drive. Then a couple of old co-workers opened a salon where my old manager ended up. I was going there for a while, but then it started turning into a day care place where the employees were bringing their kids to the salon. It was NOT relaxing.

So, then I find an awesome stylist from @kait and I was ready to go back. I get a call from the salon, the stylist is gone. Now I'm back at square one. My mom is worried I'm going to get my hair screwed up before the wedding so she's offering to pay for me to get my hair done this year at one of the top salons in our area. I just haven't gotten around to make an appointment for a haircut (I have a color appointment Thursday night). I'll probably make the appointment for my haircut before our e-pic shoot.

Long story short: no, I don't feel guilty if I'm not happy with my hair or the atmosphere of the salon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I'm willing to drive an hour for the right haircut. I've been seeing the same stylist for 15 years, but she's always done a good job and she's a family friend. If I wasn't happy, I'd be willing to change.
  • Yes and no. I saw the same stylist for years, up until about 6 months ago. He was very close by when I lived at home, and is still convenient enough that I could tack on an appointment when I go to see my parents for an evening. However he's had a couple of promotions in the last few years and he's now WAY more expensive, plus colour services at the salon were already pretty high. Long story short, since I currently live alone (and have a tight budget) and he's not conveniently close, I haven't seen him since last summer. I've tried a few people close to my place but no one has stuck. I'm probably moving in the fall though, so I don't think I'll look for a new regular stylist until then. If location and budget make it feasible, I would 100% start going back to my old stylist, I still feel like I'm cheating on him when I get my hair done elsewhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't feel guilty about changing styles, and I've only left stylists when I've really needed to, so I don't feel guilty.

I grew up going to the salon owned by my mom's friend, so until I was about 21, I had the same stylist (whole life--my mom brought us to get our hair cut professionally for YEARS, since were little kids). In college, I got really stressed waiting 3 months for cuts, so I got a recommendation and went to a salon near campus. It didn't occur to me to see the same stylist every time, so I never got appointments. I'd just walk in and have whoever was free cut my hair. Sometimes, I'd love my cut, but I did get 2-3 really terrible cuts over the two years I went there.

After college, I started doing the same thing at a salon near my new apartment, although I HATED every cut I got there. I always saw one of the same two stylists, but they never seemed to remember me OR know what to do with my hair.

After I moved back to the city, I had to find a new salon, but the thought stressed me out so much I put it off for months. I finally scoured Yelp, found a well-recommended salon nearby that was in my price range, and called. They assigned me a stylist, and so I've had the SAME stylist every time I go in, and she just totally gets my hair. I'm not sure what'll happen if/when she leaves; I may follow her, depending on where she goes. If I move, unless I get a car, I'll probably find somewhere new.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    I've never really switched and then went back again to someone, except one time I wanted to try the ombre color look and I didn't think my hair person was hip enough to pull it off so I went somewhere more hip and trendy for that.  I told my regular hair cutting person once I had gotten the color that I had gone elsewhere for a color because someone bought me a groupon for another salon. 
  • Sometimes I feel bad. In CA I had the same stylist for almost 10 years. I LOVED her and drove up to 1.5 hours to see her. I followed her to 3 different cities. She's still a friend on FB and I'll make an appointment to see her whenever I go back home. Since moving to Texas I have not had an easy time of finding someone. The way they do it here in the salon is different than CA so that's been interesting. The first girl was nice and decently priced but did TERRIBLE highlights so I never went back. The 2nd girl I did feel bad about because she did a good job on color and a decent cut but the salon sucked. I don't want to be there for 3 hours while my stylist has 3 cuts booked in between my color. this last girl was a recommendation and I like her, I like her color but she screwed my cut on one side :( I actually talked to a manager last week who had me come in to have someone else look at it and try to blend it. Sigh...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards