Wisconsin
Options

Barn Wedding in October. Good idea?

I really wanted to have a barn wedding.  However, the only open dates were for mid-October.  Is this a bad idea weather wise?  How many have attended barn wedding that month and what was the weather like? 

Re: Barn Wedding in October. Good idea?

• Options
    I've never been to a barn wedding but I was in an outdoor wedding in mid October and my sister will be in a wedding mid October this year. Weatherwise, it is iffy but if you could get space heaters or if the barn has heat, I don't think it would be too big of an issue. Most adults know how to look up weather forecasts and will dress accordingly and if not, thats on them not you. From what I've been told, if it is cooler out, you will love it because wedding dresses are space heaters.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    I don't know what a barn wedding is. Could you tell us the name of your venue? Is it an insulated building? Is the floor made of gravel and hay or is it concrete?

Reason I ask, October (well, Fall in general) can have some pretty cold rains which lead to mucky, leafy ground and wet, uncomfortable guests. If the building is not insulated with a quick drying floor, I would personally pass on the idea.
  • Options
    rungirl12rungirl12 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    I think whether or not your barn has heat should play into your decision.  Your guests and especially you & your bridesmaids may be miserable in sleeveless dresses if the weather is in the 40s/50s that day which is typical.  I attended an outdoor wedding in October (ceremony only) and it was terrible since I was dressed up and cold.  The bridesmaids were stiff and shivering the entire time.  Between the ceremony and reception I had to run my hands and feet under hot water because I was so chilled.  Yes, guests should know how to dress for the occasion, but I'd highlight on your invite then that there is not heat, or note to dress warm in cold conditions to get the point across.  I'd personally eat my dinner and head home if I were a guest and was not warm enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards