Catholic Weddings
Options

Prayer of the Faithful question

I am starting to finalize details of my ceremony and I am working on my Prayer of the Faithful.   All of my and my FI's grandparents are deceased and we wanted to honor them at our mass during the Prayer of the Faithful.   My FI's maternal grandparents were divorced.    Does anyone know if its more appropriate to say John and Jane Doe, and Jack and Jill Smith  or John Doe, Jane Doe and Jack and Jill Smith?   Does it matter or am I being way too crazy detailed?   I asked my priest and he said it didn't matter to him.     My FMIL isn't religious at all and doesn't really care either way.

Re: Prayer of the Faithful question

• Options
    I think you should separate their names (John Doe, Jane Doe).

To simplify, you could also say, "For all the departed, especially the grandparents of the bride and groom."
    Anniversary

• Options
    FWIW, I don't think you're being too detailed. I second the idea of separating the names, i.e. John Doe, Jane Doe. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I was leaning towards separating the names unless the FMIL changes her mind at the last minute and wants it the other way.   Fortunately, this isn't going into the program and so it can be changed up until the day of. 

Thanks!

• Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I didn't really think about this in detail but we did

For all those who have died, especially N LastName, Grandmother of the Bride, N LastName, Grandfather of the Groom, N and N Lastname, Grandparents of the Groom.

I really don't have a preference and think either separate or together is fine. We did purposefully include mentioning the relationship to us though.

Edited to Add:
    I missed the part that they were divorced. I would list names separate if the couple was divorced.

• Options

I had asked my FMIL before if she had a preference because they were her parents.    She previously said she didn't care.   Now she said she wants them together( ie John and Jane Doe).   I have no doubt in my mind she will change her mind 10 times in the next three weeks and I will be telling my cousin on the day of the wedding how to list their names.

The text we are using says "For all those who are departed, especially..." and will go on to list the names.   Since my side has the weird slavik names and my FI has the more common(in our area at least) simple names, it will be clear which side is which.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards