Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Candles for grandfathers... thoughts?

I know that the general consensus on these boards is that "a wedding is no time for a memorial", and that sadness should not be associated with our wedding day... and I agree!  Empty chairs, memory plaques, pictures, etc. are too over the top, and unnecessary at such a happy occasion.

FI and I are getting married in the context of a traditional Catholic Mass, and are going to light 2 candles in the Sanctuary for each of our grandfathers that have passed away.  We do not intend to do this during the ceremony, or even in the presence of any family members.  In fact, we'll probably just light them the day before, right before our rehearsal starts.

My question is... would it still be inappropriate to say (in smaller print, at the bottom of our programs): "Candles have been lit in the Sanctuary in honor of _______, grandfather of the groom, and _______, grandfather of the bride."  ?   Thoughts, ladies??
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird

Re: Candles for grandfathers... thoughts?

• Options
    I think that this is absolutely appropriate. I think the fact that you are not lighting the candles at the actual ceremony takes care of any of the "sad" feelings that could be associated with it among your guests.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think your plan is fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also think it would be appropriate to mention them in the intentions during the Prayers of the Faithful.
  • Options
    I agree with @mobkaz, and with what you're doing. We lit sanctuary candles for my grandparents (all deceased) and DH's grandfather, and we included a line in the PoF about our loved ones who had passed on to their eternal reward. 

That's a really lovely idea, OP.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Thanks, everybody :)   

I will definitely have them listed in the POF!  I hadn't even thought of it, and I type up the POF for Masses at my parish, for crying out loud  lol

We have just recently rebuilt our church (3 years ago), and have a few sections of sanctuary candles situated under different panels of stained glass.  One of the stained glass panels depicts the miracle of the Wedding at Cana, so we'll be lighting our grandfathers' candles beneath it.  It will be delightfully apropos, we thought.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards