Registry and Gift Forum

Knife Recommendations

Does anyone have great knifes to recommend or types of knives I should definitely buy...

FI and I are getting a magnetic strip for knives in the kitchen, steak knives are being bought seperately.  What brands are good knives to buy.

I generally have a 8" chef's knife and alittle santuko knife I use for almost everything.  We have a cheap paring knife for occasional use, and a very basic bread knife for fresh bread.

Re: Knife Recommendations

• Wusthof. We have the santuko and love it, and we are registered for the chef's knife, pairing knife, and a few others.
    Anniversary

• My FI likes his knives, I don't ever use them as I have my 'own' normal knives.  Anywho, I just asked him what brands he recommends and he says Henckel is probably the best bang for you buck.  
  • edited March 2014
    I have the JA Henkels Zwiling Pro S series.  I LOVE them, but buy a cutting glove, to use, just in case.  I was used to such dull knives that I cut with too much ease and took of a small part of my skin on my fingers with it. It includes the santoku knife, 8  steak knifes, chef's knife, bread knife, paring knife, cheese knife, a utility knife, and my favorite... a serrated tomato knife (it cuts tomatoes with the greatest of ease). It has more room to add knives as you go (like a clever, boning knife, etc), but this set is a great starter kit.  I have had them for 4 years, and they have barely dulled. My knife set was on sale for about $565.  It was the best gift I ever got! 
  • We have a few Shun knives, and they are nice.

Go to a store that lets yoy pick up and hold the knives. Once you get into the higher end brands, they're all pretty good and its more important to get sonething comfortable for you.

Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We like the Shun Classic because of the way the handle feels in your hand. Like @chibiyui said...once you get in to the higher end stuff there isn't a huge difference between the brands and it's about personal preference. We really like the look and feel of the Shun and the knife I got FI two years ago for Christmas is still holding a wicked sharp edge.

• Our house knives are Henkels.   DH is a chef by profession so I left that to him to decide.  His work knives come from a lot of different companies depending on the use.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I love my Wusthof knives.  I'm buying them a piece at a time - chef's, paring, and bread, so far.  Forged, not stamped.  Definitely try them out in a store and see what feels good in your hand.  My sister is a Henkels person.

• Not fancy but I love Victronox knives. They're cheap, comfortable in my hand, and stay sharp nicely. They're also easily sharpened.

I think they're commonly used in cooking schools- friends who went through different cooking schools were the ones who recommended them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We have Wusthof Classic and Shun knives. Both are excellent. DH prefers santoku-style chef's knives, but I like European-style better. That's why we have both. I've also had great experience with Victorinox knives if you're on a tighter budget. If you're a really serious cook, go to Williams Sonoma and try out the knives to see which feel best in your hand.

In my opinion, you really only need a chef's knife (maybe two if you and your partner cook together) and a paring knife to start, plus a bread knife. No need to go high-end on the bread knife. They can't be sharpened like other knives so it's not worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards