Offbeat Weddings
Options

Picnic wedding

So the FI and I decided to have a picnic themed wedding. Something simple and cheap, but I have no idea where to begin. We thought we would just have immediate family, but if we can cut costs by having an outdoor wedding, with no chairs or tables then we could have games, picnic blankets to line the alter, and invite more friends. Has anyone every been to a wedding like this or have any ideas on how to cut costs?

Re: Picnic wedding

• Options

So the FI and I decided to have a picnic themed wedding. Something simple and cheap, but I have no idea where to begin. We thought we would just have immediate family, but if we can cut costs by having an outdoor wedding, with no chairs or tables then we could have games, picnic blankets to line the alter, and invite more friends. Has anyone every been to a wedding like this or have any ideas on how to cut costs?
    Are there any local parks with pavilions and picnic tables you could rent? Everyone invited should be able to sit down, and the ground is not practical or even doable for some people. I prefer eating at a table as opposed to on the ground as well.

Figure out your budget and how many people you can properly host (A seat for every butt, food, enough for a meal if the reception falls during a meal time, enough to drink (does not have to be alcoholic) first. Then go from there.

Good luck!

Anniversary
  • Options

There are people like grandparents who really can't get up and down from ground level and really need chairs.

The suggestion to look for parks with picnic tables is a great idea. Also, if you're keeping the guest count pretty small like you said immediate family, maybe someone has a shed full of plastic tables and chairs? When I bought my house, my grandma let me borrow tables and chairs for 30 people and then she said she has no use for them and I can keep them. So they are in my garage and I've been able to lend them to friends for bridal showers, bbqs, and other small events. f you are members of a church, they often lend these items out too.

• Options
    I agree with the PP's- you need seating for the reception and for the older crowd. A large percentage of guests will be over 60 at my wedding (many over 80) and picnic blankets or low chairs just won't cut it.

Also, be sure there are adequate/accessible bathrooms. We looked into forest preserves for our wedding and between the seating and the bathrooms, we needed to go more mainstream.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm in pretty good physical condition, and sitting on the ground (i.e. sitting without back support) puts me in serious pain when it's for more than 20 minutes. It's just really strenuous on your back muscles. So I vote for some sort of chairs! While benches don't really offer back support, they would at least be a bit better than hunching over on the ground all day.
  • Options

I can see where a picnic wedding could be really lovely but ONLY with seating for everyone.  My 67 yo sister's back went out when she was in her 30's.  It isn't just older folks, sitting on the ground without a backrest is just darned uncomfortable!

If you could find a place with picnic tables this could be totally awesome.  Please do not make anyone, regardless of age, sit on the ground.

• Options
    And please don't make it a potluck!
  • Options
    We're having a picnic reception at our wedding. We rented a cabin that had a private pavillion (it could easily be done at a local park though). Considering that we got the cabin for 2 days and 4 bedrooms- it was quite reasonable and really very close in price to how much it would have cost to do it at my church being a member but without the time limits. The company provided chairs and tables. Doing our own tablecloths. Plasticware from Sam's is very affordable. The biggest money savers for ours were to go with an up and coming photographer new to the area but with good samples and that we are catering it ourselves (asked a friend to man a grill, the aunts are making sides, and my mom is doing the cake). We're having around 70-80 if you are having large wedding this would be a challenge but could stil1 be done if you planned well. Easily saving $1000+ on food doing it ourselves
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    We're doing a shabby chic picnic wedding. :) There's a state park in upstate NY with sites for rent. $250 for the day includes a large wooded site with parking for 75 guests, a brick restroom building, a pavilion with plenty of picnic tables, and an optional tent for $75. My family has volunteered to do the food. It will be in September so we're all coming up with a creative fall food menu (butternut squash, pumpkin, apple, etc.) We're paying for the alcohol and my side of the family doesn't drink but our friends and his family does so we're going to do a "bride's pick" and "groom's pick" (mixed drinks in huge glass lemonade pitchers) and buy a couple cases of wine from Whole Foods (ends up being $3/bottle). My aunt has volunteered to do the cake and flowers (which we'll be purchasing for less than $50). After the ceremony the bridal party's bouquets will go into my grandmother's collection of old tea pots as center pieces on the tables, surrounded by little potted herbs for guest favors. She collects antiques so we have vintage dish sets, tea cups, and silverware to use. Each table will have its own coordinating set but they won't match another table's. We're going to scour estate sales for vintage sheets to use for picnic blankets - mostly for the kids which there will be a lot of. We're thinking "vintage tea party" games like croquet, badminton, and horse shoes. We'll have favors for the kids like sparklers. We're hiring a musician or band - I'll let you know the cost when we find the right one. My fiance has a suit and I found a dress on Etsy for under $200. Our budget is $2000 for 75 guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards