Snarky Brides
Options

Am I the only one who thinks most wedding gowns are ugly?

I have a very specific fabric and fit that I find gorgeous which is a small percentage of wedding gowns available. When people post on here that they've found their gown- I find 90% of them to be absolutely hideous. Obviously I would never comment because it's theirs not mine! Just wondering if you are the type who loves all dresses or if you also think most are ugly? 

Re: Am I the only one who thinks most wedding gowns are ugly?

• Options
    I am right there with you. I also don't understand buying dresses that aren't flattering whatsoever for your body type. 
  • Options
    My mom is like that. She finds most wedding gowns to be hideous. I'm the opposite and love them all.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm kind of in the middle, and think many are pretty, but yeah, there are certain styles that I think are just awful and/or boring.
  • Options
    There are specific cuts and fabrics that aren't my taste, but my dress wouldn't be some people's tastes either, lol.

• Options
    For me it's not even specific fits or fabrics.  I'm just super picky.  It's very easy for a gown to bore me, and it's very easy for a gown to overwhelm me.  There are very few gowns I look at and really like.  
  • Options
    I don't love all styles but I think many are pretty.

The large issue I see is that they can be too slutty, frumpy, or slumpy (combination of the two)
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem I have with most of the gowns I see is that they aren't flattering on the person wearing it. I mean, they look great when worn by models, but it really irks me when women buy gowns that don't make them look great just because they love the gown, And I'm definitely not a fan of the lingerie style gowns or the ones that look like a cat clawed its way through the bottom, but that's really just my personal preference.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Personally, I hate the typical princessy gowns.  And I hate when people wear a certain style if it doesn't suit them.  I have banging hips so I know very few dresses will look good one me. I saw one in a magazine, and the woman had banging hips, and I said, "i need to try on that dress!" I did and it was the one.  There were some other contenders, and I had a very good bridal experience.  None of my consultants let me try on a dress that was nightmarish.
  • Options
    I think most wedding dresses look very costumey. Like you dressed up as a "bride" for the day, instead of just wearing a beautiful white dress. It's one thing to be the most dressed up people there because it's your wedding day--I have no problem with a groom wearing a tux while other men are in suits and ties--but I think most wedding dresses just look SO out of place as compared with the rest of the guests. 

In shopping for my dress I found it helpful to explain to the consultants that I was essentially looking for an evening gown instead of a "wedding dress". 
  • Options
    @mandymost I was the same way with prom dresses way back in high school...everyone wanted the super puffy toole and I wanted the Miss America look which is more of just an evening gown.

• Options
    I'm very picky about fabric & embellishment.  For example, I love the softer look of tulle, organza, or lace... but I can't stand satin (on myself) - it's so stark and shiny and flat.  It looks too much like a prom dress, I think.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I'm also not a fan of anything that looks princessy. I also hate spaghetti straps. But that's why there are so many different styles. There are a lot of wedding dresses that I think are gorgeous. 
  • Options
    I have a weakness for fancy princess gowns so there's a lot that I like, but then there are plenty that make me go "what on earth were you thinking???" Especially the ones that show off cleavage down to your bellybutton. I bet Grandpa's just gonna love it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I will try to be nice and not go into details of everythng I hate but just one example is pick-ups. I just look at those and think "how the hell can anyone think that looks good?" LOL. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course that's just one of mine!

My grandmother calls it "coffin lining", which is a pretty harsh visual for something that's supposed to be beautiful/part of a happy day XD
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @mandymost I was the same way with prom dresses way back in high school...everyone wanted the super puffy toole and I wanted the Miss America look which is more of just an evening gown.
    @jenna8984 -Yes! My prom dress was so simple compared to everyone else's huge dresses! 

I'm glad we became internet friends :)

Anniversary
  • Options

MandyMost said:
    I think most wedding dresses look very costumey. Like you dressed up as a "bride" for the day, instead of just wearing a beautiful white dress. It's one thing to be the most dressed up people there because it's your wedding day--I have no problem with a groom wearing a tux while other men are in suits and ties--but I think most wedding dresses just look SO out of place as compared with the rest of the guests. 

THANK YOU! I almost thought I was alone in this sentiment. I think the reason why I'm having my dress custom made is that most wedding gowns don't really seem all that practical for what the modern day wedding has become. They're heavy, bulky and oftentimes designed for breaking one's ankle rather than walking down the aisle or dancing at the reception. Um, hello! I'm a person, not a stumbling centerpiece!
  • Options
    I think many dresses are pretty but I only really swoon over a few.  Out of all the weddings I have been to I think I have liked maybe one or two dresses.  Yeah, all the brides looked pretty but none of their dresses wowed me.

And I agree that many brides buy gowns that aren't really the best shape for their body or they don't get them altered right which really doesn't help.

• Options
    ElcaB said:
    You are preaching to the choir. Before I was engaged, I used to think most wedding dresses were pretty. Now that I'm considering them for myself though, I'm like: 

I never thought it'd be this hard to find a dress I love. One thing I want is a dress with 3/4 sleeves. DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO FIND A DRESS WITH 3/4 SLEEVES? 
    @ElcaB - so you don't have a dress?  If not, have you checked out Allure's modest line or Pronovias?  They both have many options with 3/4 sleeves.

• Options
    I wanted a dress with sleeves to cover my arm fat. I ended up with cap sleeves which I hate. In fact, today I hate my dress. My wedding is in 3 weeks.
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Options
    I've always had a thing against mermaids gowns. I think very few look good even in photos. To me, if they're loose enough around the knees to be able to walk, it makes me think of a column (as in shapeless straight line from hips to knees, sometimes even shoulders to knees) that has this weird short flare at the bottom. I love fit-and-flare/modified A-line, but if it goes down to your knees, that short flare just looks so weird to me. Not proportional or something, even on shorter brides.

Even more ironic is that mermaids are the style that most consultants thought would look best on my body type. I tried on one and it got a lot of positive feedback, but I hated it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    AllOnOneDayAllOnOneDay member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Yes! It's like the mess got ran through a shredder, then fell in a vat of sparkles. Puke.

1 - I am getting married in December. In a cold area. I want sleeves.

2 - Strapless on me will be me walking out the door. I don't have a strapless bra, nor can I find one. I most certainly can not go without.

3 - Anything to add curves is bad. I wear a 30HH bra. I don't NEED more.

4 - How the heck do they make all dresses look slutty? I figured it's part too small top, but geesh it apparently is supposed to put 60% of my boobs on display. It's a church service, not a metal concert festival. There are somethings I don't want to display in front of my sweet, wonderful grandparents.

And I've not even gotten to the skirt. I'm about to make my own dress, if I can make various costumes and reenactment dresses, I can make a wedding dress.

And what's with the vaguely to noticeably yellowy tinted whites? Is blue tinted white that impossible to find? Why can't I wear a blue dress anyway?
  • Options
    Yes! It's like the mess got ran through a shredder, then fell in a vat of sparkles. Puke. 1 - I am getting married in December. In a cold area. I want sleeves. 2 - Strapless on me will be me walking out the door. I don't have a strapless bra, nor can I find one. I most certainly can not go without. 3 - Anything to add curves is bad. I wear a 30HH bra. I don't NEED more. 4 - How the heck do they make all dresses look slutty? I figured it's part too small top, but geesh it apparently is supposed to put 60% of my boobs on display. It's a church service, not a metal concert festival. There are somethings I don't want to display in front of my sweet, wonderful grandparents. And I've not even gotten to the skirt. I'm about to make my own dress, if I can make various costumes and reenactment dresses, I can make a wedding dress. And what's with the vaguely to noticeably yellowy tinted whites? Is blue tinted white that impossible to find? Why can't I wear a blue dress anyway?
    hahahah! Agreed!! I don't think anyone over a 34B should ever wear strapless because it just turns into a titty show all over the place! Super inapprop...my bridesmaid is probably an H and I won't let her wear a strapless dress. 

• Options
    Yes! It's like the mess got ran through a shredder, then fell in a vat of sparkles. Puke. 1 - I am getting married in December. In a cold area. I want sleeves. 2 - Strapless on me will be me walking out the door. I don't have a strapless bra, nor can I find one. I most certainly can not go without. 3 - Anything to add curves is bad. I wear a 30HH bra. I don't NEED more. 4 - How the heck do they make all dresses look slutty? I figured it's part too small top, but geesh it apparently is supposed to put 60% of my boobs on display. It's a church service, not a metal concert festival. There are somethings I don't want to display in front of my sweet, wonderful grandparents. And I've not even gotten to the skirt. I'm about to make my own dress, if I can make various costumes and reenactment dresses, I can make a wedding dress. And what's with the vaguely to noticeably yellowy tinted whites? Is blue tinted white that impossible to find? Why can't I wear a blue dress anyway?
    I wear a 38J and found a strapless dress that looks awesome on me! But that was after a long line of dresses that made me look like a hooker.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Maggie0829, thanks for the suggestion, but those are outside my budget. I'm not dead-set on sleeves, but I sure would like to have more options within my budget. I may end up purchasing a cheap, plain strapless dress and find an awesome seamstress to fix it up the way I like. This dress thing is exhausting --- I may have to vent about it on Chit Chat. 
  • Options
    @elcab Yea my best friend is Greek and can't wear a strapless in church. She plans to have a custom lace bolero made that like clips to the dress (so it looks like part of the dress and not like a separate piece) and take it off for the reception.

• Options
    I always think stark white and strapless is ugly and unflattering on almost everyone and then I'll see that type of dress on a friend and forget that I think that. It just comes down to personal style. Maybe you should wear a colored gown that's short or something unique!
  • Options
    I think many wedding dresses are pretty (well, the ones that don't look like the glitter fairy threw up on them anyway), they just weren't right for ME.

But I did eventually end up finding a dress that I'm super excited for. It's blush, not white, and I think that helped sway me.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    hahahah! Agreed!! I don't think anyone over a 34B should ever wear strapless because it just turns into a titty show all over the place! Super inapprop...my bridesmaid is probably an H and I won't let her wear a strapless dress. 
    I'm a 36D and got a strapless dress and it's very flattering.  But that's because it fits me properly and is not too low cut.  It's all about individual fit/design.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards