Snarky Brides
Options

11 days to go and a bridesmaid throws a fit!

edited March 2014 in Snarky Brides
I've had one particular bridesmaid who has been an issue since day one.
She got pregnant shortly after we started planning and it took over
everything. She was about two months when we looked at dresses and I
asked if she wanted to come to see the options. Of course she didn't,
there was "no point". She later complained about the cost which I had
covered previously what all girls could afford and this was within her
limit. She told me with a second baby coming she couldn't afford it and I
told her not to worry about it I would take care of it. She fought me
on it a few months later and said she'd pay when she got her income
taxes back which I finally agreed to. Then she came out that she
couldn't justify paying that much for one day and wouldn't be able to
pay me. This was two weeks ago. I was frustrated but asked if she could
do payments, her boyfriend just posted $1500 worth of car parts on
Facebook for a project car he doesn't even have on the road. She agreed
to payment plans then complained about them and got short with me every
time I asked about them so I let it go. She came up with an excuse for
every hair and make up run through as to why she couldn't come and
flaked every craft day. All my craft days were 100% optional but after
three times of her saying no when I planned on having an extra pair of
hands I got frustrated. She has argued with me about every little thing
and has threatened to drop out numerous times but I gave her space and
she came back apologizing and decided to stay in. Now, I'll be honest
that I was immature and childish and quit talking to her for the last
two weeks. I didn't want to deal with the stress or drama and was being
totally selfish. But I don't have regrets because that was a much
smoother two weeks of my life than I've been experiencing. Anyways, we
have a Facebook group for the bridesmaids where I update them on things
so I don't have to send out a million texts or emails and can see all in
one spot who has responded and said what and who has yet to respond. I
noticed she was no longer in the group Sunday and asked her about it.
She told me she removed herself. So I asked if she was still in the
wedding and she said yes but she didn't know why because I wasn't
talking to her. I admit I did this but not once did she attempt to
contact me. It's a two way street. I told her if she didn't want to then
she shouldn't because it will put a damper on both of our days. Then
out of nowhere she tells me she will walk away if her three month old
cries. I told her that was fine for the reception but unacceptable to
step off stage during the ceremony and asked if a relative could watch
the baby for the half hour ceremony. She said that her child only wants
her and she would step away. When I said that was not acceptable she
told me "I guess I can't be in it then" which I thanked her for telling
me and we haven't talked since. Thank God I had a close friend who just
moved back to town offer to take her place and DB has express shipping
fir a new dress. But am I being unreasonable? I understand your kid is
your kid but walking off the stage in the middle of "I do"?! Am I being a
crazy bridezilla or is this the way I should be acting?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 11 days to go and a bridesmaid throws a fit!

• Options
    This is why I came here, to ask opinions. I never said I sent hundreds of emails/Facebook updates. Things that were happening, dresses that came in, etc. And as mentioned I told her I'd pay then she insisted until I gave in that she pay and backed out three weeks before the wedding screwing my budget. But thank you for your opinion, I do appreciate it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mbross3mbross3 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    The only advice I have is to calm down. It's 11 days until your wedding! I imagine that that is extremely stressful and it's probably contributing to everything blowing up our of proportion with the actual events between you and your BM. I think that having a baby changes everything, including your friend's budget and availability (which probably contributed to why she couldn't make it to your craft nights, etc.). I get that the craft nights were optional and she probably wanted to be there, but she has a new baby and that's going to take priority over your wedding (although I'm sure she's excited for you too!). 

Just remember that nobody, except your FI, is going to be as excited about your wedding as you are! You should be excited, but just remember that your WP have other things going on in their lives. Honestly, if she has to step away to calm her baby, I really doubt you would even notice. You will be so focused on your FH during the ceremony that some shifting from your BM will be nothing. You shouldn't tell her that this is unacceptable, she's a new mom and that's probably going to be her priority. That said, maybe the baby's father could hold the child during the ceremony? 

If you really want her in your wedding, or as your friend, you need to apologize to her. I recommend a glass of wine to calm down and try to enjoy the last few days before your wedding! 

Good luck!

ETA: paragraphs! 

• Options
    I should have used the paragraphs but was doing it on my phone and didn't think about it even once.
    Thank you so much for your comment and help, I really appreciate it and you're totally right. I guess it all boils down to the fact that she waited until an argument to say it and I felt like it was almost a "well you're doing this so I'm going to do this" thing which made me more mad than anything else. Once again, thank you so much for your help. I'm going to go have that glass of wine and give her a call. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kitsunegari89kitsunegari89 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Yeeesh... paragraphs, please. Why does everyone have to do crafts? I'm hella confused. I have expected very little from my bridesmaids: show up wearing the correct clothing the day of the wedding and come to events before the wedding like the shower and rehearsal dinner as they are able (some are out of town). Lower your expectations and everyone will be happier. Also, if you offered to pay for her dress, do so. It's bad to offer something and then change your mind.
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Options
    I already said I came on here to verify I was out of turn and said I was going to call and apologize. I didn't say this was a vent nor say that obviously I'm right. I asked for opinions and help. I've already admitted my mistake.
    And as stated I fought to pay for her dress still and she would have no part of it. Therefore that doesn't mean I "changed my mind" when she refused to let me pay for it then insisted I did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bridesmaids are supposed to be friends/family that are close and important to you. They are not props so you can have a perfectly even wedding party or for the sake of pictures. It was rude to pregnant friend to replace her, even more rude to the "replacement' for basically saying "Hey, you weren't good enough for me to originally ask you to be a bridesmaid, but now that I have an opening, please pay for this dress and stand behind me so I won't have to deal with an uneven party" (even if you paid for the dress... still rude)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think things could have been handled differently on both ends, which you have admitted.  It seems that the moment she got pregnant she no longer wanted to take part in the wedding so there was some lashing out.  I don't know how I would feel if I had someone fighting me tooth and nail on everything and causing so much negativity.  Babies do change your priorities, but that doesn't mean that you should cause so much drama. If she didn't want to be in the wedding or if she couldn't afford it, she should have just been honest with you instead of arguing.  

For the most part, I get where you are coming from.  Bridesmaids are not pawns, or slaves, or worker elves for your wedding, but there are some expectations that come with being in a wedding. It was nice of you to volunteer to pay for her dress and at that point if she wanted to be in the wedding, but couldn't swing the cost of the dress, she should have accepted.    

The best advice I have is to not let this ruin your friendship. I hope you are both able to put this mess behind you and move forward.  Apologies can go a long way with some people.  Whether or not she has some apologies to make to you isn't something you can control.  Just take ownership of your part in this whole thing.  If she doesn't reciprocate, there is nothing you can do about it. Acceptance is a beautiful thing.  I hope you have a wonderful (drama free) wedding! 
  • Options
    Your bridesmaids are doing hair and make-up trials? You can't even obigate them to get their hair or make-up down (unless you are paying for it) and trials seem a little insane to me. 

You can't decide the couples budget for things. His project car has nothing to do with your wedding. 

Showers, parties, craft days, trying on dresses - this is all stuff people can WANT to do but not that you can obligate them to do. Her only job is to purchase the dress and show up the day of to stand by your side.

Replacing a bridesmaid is horribly rude and tacky. If she stepped down due to what she believes are her obligations as a mother (which I don't agree with her being the only one who can calm a 3 year old) then you let her step down and don't replace her.
  • Options
    I have three pieces of advice:

1. Don't create more drama for yourself than necessary. With >11 days to go, there might be bigger things that go wrong than this. I know it is cliche, but you can't control what happens, you can control how you react. Just try to stay zen.

2. You can't control what people do/don't do or spend/don't spend. You shouldn't have replaced your bridesmaid, but you did. Apologize, and move on with your life. It is not fair to either of you to continue going back and forth. In essence, let it go. 

3. Enjoy this time.  It happens to the best of us (myself included) that the stress of wedding planning and drama gets in the way. Remember, this day is a celebration, and not a celebration that comes around too often. Just breathe, enjoy the process, be along for the ride, and remember that this day is about you and your FI and the love that you share. 
  • Options
    grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    I've had one particular bridesmaid who has been an issue since day one. She got pregnant shortly after we started planning and it took over everything. She was about two months when we looked at dresses and I asked if she wanted to come to see the options. Of course she didn't, there was "no point". She later complained about the cost which I had covered previously what all girls could afford and this was within her limit. She told me with a second baby coming she couldn't afford it and I told her not to worry about it I would take care of it. She fought me on it a few months later and said she'd pay when she got her income taxes back which I finally agreed to. Then she came out that she couldn't justify paying that much for one day and wouldn't be able to pay me. This was two weeks ago. I was frustrated but asked if she could do payments, her boyfriend just posted $1500 worth of car parts on Facebook for a project car he doesn't even have on the road. She agreed to payment plans then complained about them and got short with me every time I asked about them so I let it go. She came up with an excuse for every hair and make up run through as to why she couldn't come and flaked every craft day. All my craft days were 100% optional but after three times of her saying no when I planned on having an extra pair of hands I got frustrated. She has argued with me about every little thing and has threatened to drop out numerous times but I gave her space and she came back apologizing and decided to stay in. Now, I'll be honest that I was immature and childish and quit talking to her for the last two weeks. I didn't want to deal with the stress or drama and was being totally selfish. But I don't have regrets because that was a much smoother two weeks of my life than I've been experiencing. Anyways, we have a Facebook group for the bridesmaids where I update them on things so I don't have to send out a million texts or emails and can see all in one spot who has responded and said what and who has yet to respond. I noticed she was no longer in the group Sunday and asked her about it. She told me she removed herself. So I asked if she was still in the wedding and she said yes but she didn't know why because I wasn't talking to her. I admit I did this but not once did she attempt to contact me. It's a two way street. I told her if she didn't want to then she shouldn't because it will put a damper on both of our days. Then out of nowhere she tells me she will walk away if her three month old cries. I told her that was fine for the reception but unacceptable to step off stage during the ceremony and asked if a relative could watch the baby for the half hour ceremony. She said that her child only wants her and she would step away. When I said that was not acceptable she told me "I guess I can't be in it then" which I thanked her for telling me and we haven't talked since. Thank God I had a close friend who just moved back to town offer to take her place and DB has express shipping fir a new dress. But am I being unreasonable? I understand your kid is your kid but walking off the stage in the middle of "I do"?! Am I being a crazy bridezilla or is this the way I should be acting?
    Yes, you are being a crazy bridezilla.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Why is this our culture? My dear America embarrasses me sometimes.

Props to admitting to, and having insight to, some of the issues you have been rude on, though. I'm really happy you came here for advice, and were willing to accept it. I'm just disappointed in the unfortunately widespread standard of etiquette you readily accepted prior to that -- I was a victim, too, once.

But hey, good on you and me for coming here, right?
  • Options

Why is this our culture? My dear America embarrasses me sometimes.

Props to admitting to, and having insight to, some of the issues you have been rude on, though. I'm really happy you came here for advice, and were willing to accept it. I'm just disappointed in the unfortunately widespread standard of etiquette you readily accepted prior to that -- I was a victim, too, once.

But hey, good on you and me for coming here, right?
    I don't think these attributes are solely an American thing. I've met many people from different cultures and there are always selfish people

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you were justified in being upset and annoyed. I had a bridesmaid that had was a major pain the entire time of the planning for no reason at all. I also think it would be rude to have someone walk away during a ceremony. The kid has a father right? Everyone told me I was a horrible person for feeling the way I did also, but since they weren't actually dealing with the person, its hard for them to understand the yoyo effect it can give you and how it keeps you on edge having to deal with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards