Chit Chat
Options

New shampoo woes

I had my hair ombred the other week, and the stylist recommended a special colour-protecting shampoo (that of course the salon happens to carry, but whatever).

My hair and scalp feel oily, greasy, itchy, and dirty. I washed my hair last night and today my scalp feels just disgusting. 

She told me not to use my regular shampoo because it would strip the colour, but at this point, I'll risk losing the colour if the trade-off is feeling like my hair is actually clean.

Ugh. Just a vent.
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: New shampoo woes

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Gross hair sucks. It's tough for me to refrain from washing my hair on a daily basis because I love clean, smell-good hair but I know it's not good to have it every day. The struggle is real. 
  • Options
    With my old shampoo, I could wash every other day and use dry shampoo on in-between days. With this new 'salon formula' crap, I can't even make it through a full day without feeling like I need to scrub my head. Not.A.Fan.
    Anniversary

• Options
    That totally sucks! Can you ask her to recommend another brand?
  • Options
    I'm going to when I go in for my re-glazing appointment, but that's not until April 6.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I find that the shampoos that salons recommend are always way too heavy for me and I end up breaking out from them (in addition to never feeling truly clean).  If you are worried about losing color, go to the drug store and buy a color protective shampoo or a more natural, non-stripping shampoo (these tend to have the words "pure" or "sulfate free").

Also, if it is a usual ombre, the color is at the tips and you have less color/bleach/natural roots yes?  If that is the case, rub the shampoo on to the roots but do not massage to tips, just let it rinse through the tips as you wash it out.
  • Options
    I find that the shampoos that salons recommend are always way too heavy for me and I end up breaking out from them (in addition to never feeling truly clean).  If you are worried about losing color, go to the drug store and buy a color protective shampoo or a more natural, non-stripping shampoo (these tend to have the words "pure" or "sulfate free").

Also, if it is a usual ombre, the color is at the tips and you have less color/bleach/natural roots yes?  If that is the case, rub the shampoo on to the roots but do not massage to tips, just let it rinse through the tips as you wash it out.
    Yes -- my roots are very close to my natural colour, and just the ends are lighter. And because my hair is so long, I usually just shampoo the scalp area anyway, and let it run through to the tips, lest it dry them out. My normal shampoo is sulfate-free because I have a sensitive scalp, so I don't think it will really strip out the colour, I mostly think she wanted to sell me product.
    Anniversary

• Options

I've never had luck with salon products. For the last several years, I've gotten my hair dyed a deep auburn color, a bitch to maintain. The salon tried to sell me this expensive shampoo/conditioner that would help keep the color longer. Um, not really. 3 weeks and my hair was brown with orangy highlights. (Ok, not ORANGE, but they looked pretty brassy!) I switched back to using my Herbal Essences Color Me Happy, and my color lasted for a good 7 or 8 weeks before it started to really fade.

I don't take the products any stylist recommends seriously if it can only be purchased in a salon.

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I, as well, have never had luck with salon products. They make me hair heavy and I have the same issue with it feeling "un-clean".

It's really frustrating! I'm ok spending that money if I actually get a GOOD product.
  • Options
    I've never dyed my hair but love the idea of hombre. I think I'm just too chickenshit to make any changes.

I'd wonder though- could you get away with an organic/low sulfate/safe baby shampoo? And what if you focused on cleaning your roots and didn't shampoo the rest of your hair as thoroughly? You'll still end up washing the ends but get them less soapy to preserve the color?

Just guessing here...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I bet whatever brand of shampoo you normally use has a color safe option. Maybe you could look into that until you go back for the re-glazing. Most shampoo brands have one now since so many people color their hair.
  • Options
    I've never dyed my hair but love the idea of hombre. I think I'm just too chickenshit to make any changes.

I'd wonder though- could you get away with an organic/low sulfate/safe baby shampoo? And what if you focused on cleaning your roots and didn't shampoo the rest of your hair as thoroughly? You'll still end up washing the ends but get them less soapy to preserve the color?

Just guessing here...
    I giggled a little. Yo, hombre!

• Options
    Damn auto-correct! And, to add insult to injury, I was trying to explain ombré in (broken) Spanish to FMIL the night before!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @wandajune6 -- DH teases me by calling my hair 'hombre' and then saying 'you're my hombre, right?'

Smartass.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah, salon products in general are just a money dump. When I was training (about a decade ago) we spent about 80% of the time on products and 20% on actual technique - we were being trained to push sales instead of being trained to deliver a good service. Sadly, that seems to be the standard.

Use whatever shampoo you feel comfortable with, and stick to your roots only technique. It'll be fine.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    If you ever want try the ever collection by lorreal in place of those salon products. It's sulfate free and good pricing. I use the ever sleek

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    AlexisA01 said:
    If you ever want try the ever collection by lorreal in place of those salon products. It's sulfate free and good pricing. I use the ever sleek
    Ditto this! It's a great, affordable line…and it smells good, to boot!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards