Wedding Woes

gg

Re: gg

• PirateBarbiePirateBarbie member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    He could also buy a copy of some of the photos, or repost with the watermark intact. I'm not sure from a legal standpoint, but if he uses the pics that he purchased, or the pics with the watermark intact/gives full credit to the photographer for the picture, i don't think he's in violation of the photo "rights." - in this case he's not claiming that he took the pictures, just was the planner/coordinator for the event being photographed. 

Without fully cutting ties with this guy so he is not at the event/suing him for using photos of your event, you're not going to be able to prevent him from claiming the work as his own to his future clients. 

What did this guy do that was so unprofessional/awful that you're not willing to let him use your event in his portfolio, but not to fire him? 

I really think you should just let it go. 
  • Really? A photo lockout? Is the coordinator going to photoshop a blood tampon string on your photos or something?

If it bothers you THAT much, then just ask the photog not to put up a blog post with your wedding pics on it. Most pro photogs business websites are in Flash or some equivalent which makes it a lot harder to download aside from using screen shots. The bulk of your photos are going to be in a password protected system anyway.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The issue I have with him getting photos is that none of the "creative" aspect that he promised - and would promote with the photos - is his contribution. I don't really want him claiming ownership over decor and design that he had no part in.
  • drmrs2014 said:

The issue I have with him getting photos is that none of the "creative" aspect that he promised - and would promote with the photos - is his contribution. I don't really want him claiming ownership over decor and design that he had no part in.

He can take pictures with his own camera or have an assistant do it, claim it as his own work, and you have ZERO recourse. Unless he's dumb enough to circulate your name as a reference, and you speaketh your peace.

You think any future client is going to wonder where the photos came from??

This is also sounding like that whole wedding territoriality, "that was MY youneek idea, YOU can't use it!!"

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Exactly what Dharma said. 

Your only recourse is to report him to the BBB and post reviews on yelp and other online review sites.  Also, there is always word of mouth and not giving him an endorsement if someone asks your opinion. 
  • OP - so you looked at Pinterest/The Knot/bridal magazines, etc., came up with Y0UNEEQUE ideas, bought all of the supplies, sent them to him, and said execute THIS.

You're not willing to fire the guy, so he still has some involvement in your event. I'm also betting you're not the first bride to have floral centerpieces/an aisle runner/a unity candle/get married in an old barn/etc. so i'm curious what sort of insanely creative plans you think he's stealing. 

Isn't the purpose of having a wedding planner/corrdinator to pass off the bitch work of making your event look and feel the way that you want it? If you're not giving him a blank check and telling him to do whatever he wants, that you don't care about the end result as long as it's YUNiqUE, chances are you're having a varying amount of input into the "creative" process. 
  • Dharma and conn - youneek is so 2010
  • Thanks for your opinions.
  • Honestly, if I were in this situation, I'd wait until after the wedding and then write negative reviews about him anywhere I could.  If he does use photos from your photog's site in his portfolio, you can include something in your reviews about how he's taking credit for work he didn't do and warn other brides not to believe what he shows them. 

I'm also planning a wedding from a distance (not as far away as yours, but still several states away), and I rely heavily on the online reviews other brides post.  If someone casts doubt on the professionalism and integrity of a vendor, it makes me think twice before using them myself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards