Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Do I Really Neeeed to Bustle My Dress?

So I got my dress two days ago, Allure 8800.  I got it from oncewed.com, but it was new with tags and I saved about $500 on it.  Yay!  Now comes the alterations.  Boo.  I'm going to wait until I get my shoes (which will probably be about a 4" heel) so I know how much it needs to be hemmed.  I also need to have the straps shortened and maybe the waist taken in a bit.  

This dress is two pieces: a slip underneath and then a lace overlay.  So how does that work as far as bustling it?  I guess both layers would have to be bustled?  I really don't want to have it bustled because I love the length of the skirt, but if I don't get it bustled then I know it will be practically impossible to dance without ripping it to shreds.  

Also, once my shoes get here in the next couple of weeks, I'm trying to decide if I should take the dress to have it altered then, or wait a few months.  Our wedding isn't until October and I'm leaning towards waiting a bit longer because I could drop a few pounds before summer starts.  I guess it seems like to me it would be dumb to have it altered now, and then if I end up losing some weight I will just need to have it altered again...

Re: Do I Really Neeeed to Bustle My Dress?

• Options
    You really don't need to start alterations until about 2 months out.  So I wouldn't go until about August.

As for a bustle, yes they would bustle both layers.  For a dress like that I like a french bustle (or under bustle).  As for if you really need to bustle your dress well that is up to you.  I 100% recommend it because if you don't then you will need a loop attached to slip around your wrist to hold the train up.  If you don't then people will be walking all over it which will equal it being ripped and you constantly tripping.

Bustles can be very pretty.  I understand that you love the length of the train but a train is not practical (unless it is a sweep train that barely touches the floor) when you want to walk around and dance.

• Options
    That is similar to my dress. I went for my first alterations appointment last week (wedding in May) and the seamstress recommended an under bustle like maggie suggested. It does have to be bustled in 2 different layers and that means it's a little more complicated for the seamstress and for my girls to bustle it. It also made it more expensive. It also has to be hemmed in two different layers (aka extra expense).

I will tell you though that even though the train isn't very long it's very difficult to walk in. I had my dress at home for about a year so I would try it on periodically and walk around in it. It is extremely difficult. It's much different trying it on in the store and actually trying to function in it. Even after she pinned the dress for the hem it was still difficult to maneuver the train around before she pinned that for the bustle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards