Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Gift Receipts

O.K., this was inspired by another question. I very rarely include a gift receipt when I give or send a gift. For some reason, I just feel odd about it. I realize that this may be an inconvenience to the recipient, so is it rude of me not to include a gift receipt or ask for one at the store?

Re: NWR: Gift Receipts

• Options

Gifts receipts are great. Honestly, some stores can be downright rude when people try to return/exchange without a gift receipt or the original.

Ex: I was given an item off my Target registry at my shower; it's white cotton, and the gift giver said that a store associate helped her get all the items (she is my MOH, and later she said that she also physically picked up the gift selections from her mother and sister, my other MOH). Now, said item had a little black smudge at the bottom. I could have tried to bleach it out, but as I work right next door to a Target and it's a registry item, I thought I'd try to exchange it.

No gift receipt, and I felt like a criminal when I went in. But any time I have a receipt- it's "no worries."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LOL, o.k. I get it. Gift receipts from now on. I guess it's just because I almost never return a gift unless it's clothing that's too small/large or something damaged, I guess I don't assume that someone will want to return my gift (I probably should). I also make a lot of my gifts, so the act of shopping and asking for a gift receipt isn't standard for me. If it's offered though, I usually take it and include it.
  • Options
    I don't give gift receipts.

• Options
    I always give one. I don't think it's rude not to give one, but I want the recipient to be happy with my gift - even if that means exchanging it for something else they prefer. PP is right that some stores can be very rude about returns without a receipt, and I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I give them, if I didn't lose them first... which happens too. I always buy off of registries though. Most stores (I say most, because I didn't ask every store) will let them do a return as long as it's from their registry. I asked BBB, Target, Kohls and Macy's just to make sure before I started my registries.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    More people should use them. We received duplicates from our wedding and baby registries and having gift receipts makes the return/exchange process much easier.

• Options
    I always give them. Personally, I feel like "not giving" one is a sign that I might have re-gifted the gift or spent so little that i don't want them to try to return it as they might "figure me out"

• Options
    I'm glad I got them for my Bridal Shower. I got a few duplicates, which were easy to return and I'll use the store credit with my completion discount after the wedding! Yay reciepts!
  • Options
    I always include gift receipts. I used to work for a large, higher-end department store. If you come in without a receipt to either return or exchange, you would only get back the lowest selling price in the last 30 days. So if Aunt Sally bought you a vase when it was full price and you come to exchange it but it's gone 30% off since in the last 30 days, you only get credit for the lower price without a receipt. It sucks, but it's the only way stores can prevent people from returning things to get more money back than they paid.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I always give them, especially for baby and bridal showers

Anniversary

• Options
    I try to buy gifts at Macy's bc it has the sticker bar code on it so I don't have to fuss with gift receipts.

I don't love to include the gift receipt bc I always use coupons and shop sales and usually only pay half price. I know it's not poor etiquette, but I feel cheap and worry people will judge the actually amount I spent. I feel like the MSRP is what the recipient should assume I spent, not what I actually spent. BC even though people should be gracious and appreciative, most people still judge the amount of money you spent on their gift.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    It depends on where I bought it. If it's off their registry at BBB, Target, or Macy's, I typically don't, because their registry will serve as a gift receipt.

If I buy anything else, I include a gift receipt.

But I also usually buy hand-made, personlised items OR I make them afghans, so you don't get gift receipts for that, sorry.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2014
    indianaalum said:

I always give them. Personally, I feel like "not giving" one is a sign that I might have re-gifted the gift or spent so little that i don't want them to try to return it as they might "figure me out"

Stuck in the box! That would never occur to me. Seems a bit paranoid, but perhaps I'm putting more faith in people than I should. ;-)

ETA: Missing Name
  • Options
    It depends on where I bought it. If it's off their registry at BBB, Target, or Macy's, I typically don't, because their registry will serve as a gift receipt.

If I buy anything else, I include a gift receipt.

But I also usually buy hand-made, personlised items OR I make them afghans, so you don't get gift receipts for that, sorry.

You should TOTALLY start making them! Something like:

"Handmade with love and thoughtfulness by HisGirlFriday. Priceless in value. Should you be unpleased with said gift, please return to a place in time where graciousness was the rule of the day, and present this receipt for a swift smack into reality."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Blue_Bird said:
    indianaalum said:

Stuck in the box! That would never occur to me. Seems a bit paranoid, but perhaps I'm putting more faith in people than I should. ;-)

if you notice, someone actually just WROTE what I "thought". They said they don't include them because they don't want people to know they got the gift on sale....confirmed my point.

• Options

Blue_Bird said:
    indianaalum said:

if you notice, someone actually just WROTE what I "thought". They said they don't include them because they don't want people to know they got the gift on sale....confirmed my point.

Oh, I agree with the point about judging the price. Actually, I'd be more worried about someone trying to return the gift and not having enough to get something comparable based on what they thought it cost, but I meant it's a little paranoid to think someone would assume it's re-gifted without a receipt.
  • Options
    I work in retail, and not very many people ask for gift receipts.

The gift receipt is good because if the item goes on sale and you want to exchange it, you just get the lowest selling price (even if that's not the "current" price). It makes it very upsetting when you are trying to exchange for a similar (but not the exact) item.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards