Wedding Invitations & Paper

Question on addressing the envelopes

jenna8984jenna8984 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
We are not "formal" and our wedding will be classy but I wouldn't call it formal. It's in the afternoon and the men aren't wearing full tuxes/ suits. It's not backyard BBQ casual but somewhere in between. 

1. Do I have to put titles on the envelopes? Mr. & Mrs. Joe Smith or can it just be The Smith's or Joe & Mary Smith? 
2. Does the male always come first? I have a lot of unmarried female friends that I'm inviting so it seems weird to send it to Joe Smith and Mary Jones when Mary is really the one I'm inviting and Joe just happens to be her date/ boyfriend. I would find it odd if my friend sent my invitation to Jenna's Fiance and Jenna. Feels like I'm the plus one.

Re: Question on addressing the envelopes

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    We didn't use titles. I think it's ladies first.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe  (married)
    Ms. Mary Doe and Mr. John Doe  (married)

Ms. Mary Doe 
    Mr. John Doe  (not married)

You should always use proper titles when addressing mail.  You can use informal wording in a letter, but not on the envelope.  A wedding invitation is a formal piece of mail, no matter what the level of formality of the event.  For instance, if I were writing my daughter, I address the letter to Mrs. David Jones, but I write "Dear Amazon,"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think it is better to use titles. You might end up writing names of husbands of your female friends first if you go with male first and same way, names of the wives of your male friends first in case of ladies first.
  • OK thank you!! 

• As long as you spell my name correctly I couldn't care less about titles or following the "right" way of addressing an envelope.

• So why are you posting about it, if you don't care?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm with Maggie. I asked because I would like to know what is "proper" for the older generations who may care. But I think the majority of young people don't care or notice small things like that- I know I don't. 

• I am young and I notice these things. I have been to a few more casual weddings and the envelopes were properly addressed. When it comes to this kind of thing, if doesn't in itself indicate the formality of the event, and more so indicates if the bride has any reverence for proper etiquette. Don't cheapen yourself.
  • edited March 2014
    @schatzi13 agree!

@jenna8984 since you want your wedding to be a "classy" affair, i would set the right tone and follow etiquette protocol with your invites.  i know it may seem silly, but it is not a lot of extra work.  good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards