Not Engaged Yet

Crafting Help

I was planning a run to Hobby Lobby later on this week and needed some advice.  Our card box is a white metal mailbox that I am decorating to look like the mail box from Up.  What is the best type of paint to pick up that will work on a metal mailbox?  I'm clueless....

Anniversary

Re: Crafting Help

• You could probably use any type of acrylic craft paint from Hobby Lobby. Then just coat it with a clear spray to seal it (clicky)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thank you @lalalaurita! Will it smudge with out the clear spray even when dry?

Anniversary

• @peaseblossom55 are you planning on putting the mailbox outside after the wedding? If you aren't, you could probably skip the clear coat. Acrylic paint won't chip if you're gentle with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddysmom80 we put in a new mailbox last summer, so this won't be kept outside at all.  I guess if we did change our mind we could spray itwith a coat.Thanks!

Anniversary

• Oh I forgot to add, acrylic paint is so easy to work with. I SUCK at painting, like I'm horrible but if I have to paint something, if you screw up, you can wipe off the paint while it's still wet and start over. I keep a damp paper towel nearby. If it's dry, use vodka to take the paint off, it's a total waste of vodka but it works.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddysmom80 awesome thanks. I was worried about painting and messing up and how quickly it dries! Awesome!!!!  I'd hate to waste some vodka but good to know.

Anniversary

• Oh, one more thing, if you're going to HL, go on their website they have a 40% off coupon. The paints are usually pretty cheap, but 40% off is even better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddysmom80 Oh I know since early March I've been there almost every week.  I pass right by on my way home from work too. I got a ring bearer pillow really cheap two weeks ago! :-)

Anniversary

• Are you just looking to do the handprints/names or do you need to paint a mailbox white?

For the handprints/names - I think acrylic is fine.

If I were doing it - I would go on Etsy and have stickers/vinyl <link1> <link2> cut with the names and then match the paint to that and do our hand prints (less risk of messing up)

Anniversary
  • @dignity100 those vinyl stickers are cool, but I like the idea of painting it and having it look more natural.  The mailbox is already white so we just need to paint on the names and hand prints

Anniversary

• @peaseblossom55 I don't really paint on metal much, but when I paint on wood, I tend to use a primer before the paint because it makes the paint need fewer coats.  they're in the acrylic aisle so it might be worth it.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @blue Thanks for the advice!

Anniversary

• @twodimes I will I bought paint yesterday so I may try to get that done on Sunday we'll see. 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards