Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gift received early, when to send thank you

I just opened a package from Amazon and it had a wedding gift card from an extended family member. My wedding is still over 2 months away. Do I send a thank you note now or wait until after the wedding? I have no idea yet if they are coming or not.

Re: Gift received early, when to send thank you

• Send the thank you notes as gifts arrives.  It's one less thing to do after the wedding.  However, you should refrain from using gifts until after the wedding.
  • It doesn't matter if they are coming to the wedding or not. Send a prompt thank you note.

• My policy is a 5 day turnaround for thank you cards. If they send multiple gifts, they get multiple cards.
  • Send the thank you note as you get them. Like sara said, if you receive different gifts from the same person at different times, send a note for each. 
  • I just opened a package from Amazon and it had a wedding gift card from an extended family member. My wedding is still over 2 months away. Do I send a thank you note now or wait until after the wedding? I have no idea yet if they are coming or not.
    Send it immediately.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, it doesn't matter if they come to the wedding.  The thank you note is for the gift, not their attendance.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would send the thank you right away.  If you wanted to remark upon their attendance at your wedding since you don't know if they will, you could always include a line about hoping they can attend since it would be lovely to see them.  We got a few presents before the wedding.  I wrote up the thank you notes immediately and sent them out in time for them to arrive before the wedding.  Apparently, one of my husband's aunts spent the entire reception talking about how polite we are and how much she appreciated the note sent in such a timely fashion.  If they bring another gift to the wedding, you can always write another thank you note.  Being as polite as possible is always a good idea.
  • Thank you all for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards