Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Father-daughter dance with biker dad

My dad is a biker - long beard, shaved head, all that jazz. Furthermore, we do not have a "lovey dovey" kind of relationship and a typical father-daughter dance would feel a little awkward and very contrived, so I want to do something a little different - "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top. I originally thought it would be kind of funny to start off with something more traditional and then have it change to Sharp Dressed Man, but those "surprise" music changes are a little played out, so I totally nixed that idea.

What would you all think if that was a father-daughter dance at a wedding you attended? Our wedding is fairly small - about 100 - mostly close family and friends.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father-daughter dance with biker dad

• If a slow father-daughter dance isn't for you and your dad, then you can skip it if you want to.  I hate dances that change the song half-way through and go from slow to party-like.
  • I'm not having him walk me down the aisle because he did that at my first wedding 12 years ago and it seems weird to do all of that again the second time around. I've planned to walk by myself. I don't want people to think I have an issue with my dad or anything, so I thought this might be a more fun and authentic way to make that clear. We might skip it completely though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Would your dad be open to dancing to a song like "sharp dressed man"? 
  • He has been noncommittal on the dancing at all so far, so we may not do it. However, if we did the Sharp Dressed Man thing is much more his style.

I guess I just thought this would be a fun way to show him that I love him even though he isn't walking me down the aisle this time. Last year when my stepsister got married she asked him to walk with her, but then changed her mind a couple of months before the wedding and had her daughter walk with her instead. I know he was really hurt by it...and understandably so.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Is he a Sons of Anarchy fan? My father daughter dance song is the cover of "Forever Young" by Andra Mae that played during the season premier of season 2 (I think). It's beautiful and not super lovey dovey. I picked it because both my dad and I love Bob Dylan, and we're cryers so I knew if I went with a typical song we'd both be a mess. 
  • This is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing for my father-daughter dance! My dad is also kind of a rough and tumble guy that has the biker look going on. Our relationship basically consists of talking about cars and football, so the traditional "lovey dovey" dance would be very awkward for us, as well. My dad and I both love ZZ Top and have been known to pull out our air guitars on occasion, so I figured we might as well do something fun like this for our dance.

I think you should go for it! Your dance is whatever you and your dad want to do, not what your guests want. If they are your close friends and family, they likely wouldn't care whether you do something fun or traditional. :)
  • We ended up doing a combined mother/son & father/daugther dance to Louie Anderson wonderful life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards