Wedding Reception Forum

12 at a table?

Which option is the best when you have more guests than you counted on. 1) move tables away after dinner for dancing. Yikes, so klutzy. 2) spill tables out onto deck where guests won't hear so well? Ugh. 3) crowd 12 to a table? Tables hold 10. Any other ideas?

Re: 12 at a table?

• DO not crowd 12 to a table, 8 is about comfortable, even 10 is too tight! Have they already sent RSVPs? If not, some of those invite inevitably will not attend.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, the date is in May 2015.  I am just worrying and planning for worst case scenario.   Thanks for reply.
  • You should always be prepared for 100% attendance just in case.  Have you already booked your venue?  If so, what do they do when there are X amount of guests?  I would hate for my table to be removed after dinner, as my chair and table at a wedding is where I am for most of the night and where I keep all of my stuff.  I would also hate to be crammed into a table with 11 other people.  When you say 'spill the tables out onto the deck', would they be outside in the cold and rain?  If not, then that is certainly fine and maybe you could put some speakers over near them so they can hear the toasts and the MC.
  • Plan for the number of guests you intend to invite and you won't have a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Doeydo,
    No to rain and cold. California wedding.  Speakers are a good idea.  What do you think of moving tables for dance floor. ?
  • The last time I was at a table of 12, I wanted to cry because I elbowed someone every time I moved.  We had table of 8.
  • joantracy said:

Doeydo,
    No to rain and cold. California wedding.  Speakers are a good idea.  What do you think of moving tables for dance floor. ?

California wedding doesn't necessarily mean no rain.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • joantracy said:
    Doeydo,
    Maybe you could get a tent or something just in case it rains.  I dislike the idea of moving tables for a dance floor.
  • It really depends on where you are in California. In some areas, you can pretty safely count on no rain.

OP. Don't do tables of 12. Invite less people.
  • joantracy said:
    Doeydo,
    I'm not a fan.

• How large are the tables?
  • lucky2bjtlucky2bjt member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Yes, you are all right :)  12 to a table is crazy talk.  I may find out about tenting for deck area and spill over if necessary.
  • Why are you purposely over inviting for your space?  If I were a guest I was pushed out onto the deck and couldn't really hear or see what was going on I would be pissed and feel like you really didn't want me there.  Invite only the number that can comfortably fit within your venue room.  It really is not that hard.

• Yes to moving tables in favour of a dance floor! I don’t understand keeping tables to begin with; how can you build a nice party when half of the guests are still at their tables? Guests might feel uncomfortable dancing when people are staring at them.  

• Yes to moving tables in favour of a dance floor! I don’t understand keeping tables to begin with; how can you build a nice party when half of the guests are still at their tables? Guests might feel uncomfortable dancing when people are staring at them.  

So you would have all tables removed?  I have never felt uncomfortable dancing when others were sitting at their table.  Those sitting are usually talking to friends or family members and couldn't give a shit about me out on the dance floor.

Also, this is a wedding, not a dance club.  People actually like to sit and talk to others at weddings.

• @ Maggie,

Yes, I would like to have all the tables removed; the best weddings I’ve been to have been a great party, and that’s what FI and I have in mind for ours.

It’s a wedding, not a dance club, indeed. But there are also different practices in different cultures and countries. 

• @ Maggie,

Yes, I would like to have all the tables removed; the best weddings I’ve been to have been a great party, and that’s what FI and I have in mind for ours.

It’s a wedding, not a dance club, indeed. But there are also different practices in different cultures and countries. 

I managed to have a killer party while still having all tables in place.  The vibe of your wedding really depends on your crowd and the music, NOT if tables are still in out.

• @ Maggie,

This is the most bizarre thing. I go to multiple weddings a year, most of which are open bar big dance party type deals. 

I have never once seen anyone break down tables to have this party. What a logistical nightmare! Someone has to bus those tables, pull off all the linens and decorations. Not to mention, what about any favors, purses, jackets, etc. of your guests? Are you going to make an announcement that if you were seated at tables 15-20, make sure you've removed all your personal items? 

If those guests need a 5 minute break from the party, they have to steal someone else's seat?
  • I'd personally think it was weird if the tables were removed. Usually the table acts as "base" where you keep your handbag or clutch and your drink while you're out on the dance floor. What if someone wants a glass of water throughout the night? Should they just set it on the floor and hope for the best?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Don't over invite for your space. Talk to your venue. We were told 8-10 people fit comfortably at our tables. If that's what your venue says - stick to that. 

And really - take down all the tables? NO WAY. Have a good dj, be a good host and the party will be rocking!
  • joantracy said:
    Which option is the best when you have more guests than you counted on. 1) move tables away after dinner for dancing. Yikes, so klutzy. 2) spill tables out onto deck where guests won't hear so well? Ugh. 3) crowd 12 to a table? Tables hold 10. 4) Find a new venue that will fit all my guests. I can't cut anyone from the list!, 5) Shrink the guest list so they fit in the venue. I realize this means I can't invite everyone I want to invite, but all the most important people will still be there. And I also realize that any mature adult doesn't mind a bit not getting an invite to a wedding unless it's their immediate family or best friend. Any other ideas?
    I fixed your original post. Options 1-3 are terrible. Options 4 is a great option if you haven't signed a contract. Option 5 is great as long as you haven't already sent save the dates (which I assume you haven't, since it's over a year away). 
  • DO not crowd 12 to a table, 8 is about comfortable, even 10 is too tight! Have they already sent RSVPs? If not, some of those invite inevitably will not attend.
    This! Don't do any more than 8 to a table, especially if you are gonna have mirrors, candles, centerpieces etc on the tables.

People here will tell you that they get mad at the removal of tables after dinner because they have to move their stuff. I don't typically have anything with me at a wedding except a coat and purse, both of which are mobile.

If you are considering moving tables, then consider a larger room or consider having the head table/wedding party tables/ parents tables removed. Try not to inconvenience other guests. I have only seen tables removed at one wedding and the only reason it worked was because A. Only two tables were removed and those were the parents' tables and B. Several tables of older relatives left and the ppl at the parents' tables just shifted over to those empty tables.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    DO not crowd 12 to a table, 8 is about comfortable, even 10 is too tight! Have they already sent RSVPs? If not, some of those invite inevitably will not attend.
    This! Don't do any more than 8 to a table, especially if you are gonna have mirrors, candles, centerpieces etc on the tables. People here will tell you that they get mad at the removal of tables after dinner because they have to move their stuff. I don't typically have anything with me at a wedding except a coat and purse, both of which are mobile. If you are considering moving tables, then consider a larger room or consider having the head table/wedding party tables/ parents tables removed. Try not to inconvenience other guests. I have only seen tables removed at one wedding and the only reason it worked was because A. Only two tables were removed and those were the parents' tables and B. Several tables of older relatives left and the ppl at the parents' tables just shifted over to those empty tables.
    It depends on the size of the tables.  Not all party tables come in the same size.  My venue has 10 tops and 12 tops.  If her venue says 10 fit, then presumably 10 should be fine without crowding.
    This! Don't do any more than 8 to a table, especially if you are gonna have mirrors, candles, centerpieces etc on the tables. People here will tell you that they get mad at the removal of tables after dinner because they have to move their stuff. I don't typically have anything with me at a wedding except a coat and purse, both of which are mobile. If you are considering moving tables, then consider a larger room or consider having the head table/wedding party tables/ parents tables removed. Try not to inconvenience other guests. I have only seen tables removed at one wedding and the only reason it worked was because A. Only two tables were removed and those were the parents' tables and B. Several tables of older relatives left and the ppl at the parents' tables just shifted over to those empty tables.
    It depends on the size of the tables.  Not all party tables come in the same size.  My venue has 10 tops and 12 tops.  If her venue says 10 fit, then presumably 10 should be fine without crowding.
    I agree.  Our venue used 2 different sized tables depending on the number of guests.  We had 12 people at the largest table.  It won't be crowded if you have an appropriately sized table.

It's rude to try to force your guests to dance. Not everybody wants to dance, and that should be okay.  

• @ Maggie,

That's really freaking rude.  You need to have enough seats for all for your guests for ALL of your reception.  The point of a reception is thank the wedding ceremony guests; your primary concern should be THEIR comfort, not what kind of party you and your FI 'have in mind.'

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards