Plus-Sized

so frustrated why cant the make nice dresses for short people

so i went out with my mom and grandma today to look for a dress for my bridal shower at the end of the month. i don't wear dresses everyday and when i do its for holidays or special occasions. lane bryants cataloge they send out every month had this amazing hi low dress on the front cover .I go to try it on today it looks amazing on me does so much for my body but then the low part is 2 low its dragging on the floor i ask the sales lady if i get like 3 inch platform wedges or sandals would the dress work? she said to me i would need like super tall heals or wedges like the dress was 4 inches to long. :(  everything else they had in the store was on the short side and made me look even shorter than i was and did nothing for me ( store did not get everything in for the spring dresses ) so i went to fashion to figure and torrid as they were also in the mall but nothing.. everything cute was two long and the short dresses did nothing for me.

they make pants for short people so why cant they make maxi dresses for us short people :( i am going out again tomorrow to another set of stores i am going to hit dress barn catherines and another lane bryant. i am tempted to check out avenue as well but none of the other stores are near the closest avenue to me

Re: so frustrated why cant the make nice dresses for short people

• Find a good tailor or seamstress. I'm 5'3" and frequently have this issue, but a simple solution is just having it altered.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You can tailor a dress to have it made shorter. We taller ladies can't get something tailored to be long.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I'm 5'3" - I have dresses shortened every now and again.  Most of the time for me it's around $10 to have the dress hemmed (give or take a little bit)

Anniversary
  • Yup. I love my tailor. I have 4 pair of new pants in my car to drop off after work today.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks i ended up finding a dress at dress barn today that looked really good.

• this is the dress i ended up with but now i am second guessing that the style might age me i am 32 http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/plus-size-chevron-jacket-dress/101788071/802  wish i had a photo of me in the dress

what do you think
  • so i went out with my mom and grandma today to look for a dress for my bridal shower at the end of the month. i don't wear dresses everyday and when i do its for holidays or special occasions. lane bryants cataloge they send out every month had this amazing hi low dress on the front cover .I go to try it on today it looks amazing on me does so much for my body but then the low part is 2 low its dragging on the floor i ask the sales lady if i get like 3 inch platform wedges or sandals would the dress work? she said to me i would need like super tall heals or wedges like the dress was 4 inches to long. :(  everything else they had in the store was on the short side and made me look even shorter than i was and did nothing for me ( store did not get everything in for the spring dresses ) so i went to fashion to figure and torrid as they were also in the mall but nothing.. everything cute was two long and the short dresses did nothing for me.

they make pants for short people so why cant they make maxi dresses for us short people :( i am going out again tomorrow to another set of stores i am going to hit dress barn catherines and another lane bryant. i am tempted to check out avenue as well but none of the other stores are near the closest avenue to me

Honestly, I think maxi dresses usually look better on taller people.  I find for me (5'2"), I look best in cocktail length dresses.  Definitely look into getting something hemmed if you like everything else about it.  Your link in the post further did not bring anything up.
  • ok ill post the picture of the dress
  • Very cute dress! I'm going to go check it out myself!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • this style runs big they have it also in a peach color. i had to go down a size in the dress
  • tailoring is our friend. I'm always getting hems shortened and straps taken up. 

i'm also ordering my shower dress from eshakti and getting it made to my measurements.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • ok ill post the picture of the dress
    I think it's a cute dress!  If I were going to wear it, I'd get it hemmed.  I look much better with dresses that hit at the knee.....ones that hit mid-calf just seem to chop my legs at a weird point and make me look shorter and heavier than I really am.
  • joanee2012 i have the same problem but i tried this on with wedges and it with the wedges the dress hits closer to the knee
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards