Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Opinions please on DIY invites

I need your honest opinions. My FI & I are going to be DIYing our pocketfold invitations. We found a swirl design that we liked and went from there - we created the swirl design on our own which I think is good for beginners. The main invitation will be printed on white pearlescent paper with a black mat. The black font will be changed to a softer color to match the swirls but I just wanted opinions before I made that change. Which ones do you like the best? What would you change?
1.png 383.3K
2.png 365.7K
3.png 365K
4.png 348.9K
5.png 390.4K
6.png 372.5K
7.png 370.6K
8.png 354.9K

Re: Opinions please on DIY invites

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I will say that I am not a fan of mixing fonts within the same sentence/statement.  I think having two fonts is fine, but you need to keep them separate.  I also don't like the curved writing.  I would keep everything horizontal.  I would keep the fancy script font for your names, and venue name.  Other then that I would use small uppercase for everything else.  As for the date I wouldn't use actual numbers but rather write out the words, same with the time.

So...

YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT HAVE HELPED US BECOME WHO WE ARE

TOGETHER WITH OUR FAMILIES

Bride (this is supposed to signify your fancy font)
    AND
    Groom

INVITE YOU TO SHARE OUR JOY AND WITNESS OUR LOVE
    AS WE EXCHANGE VOWS  (I would get rid of "and celebrate our marriage" since that is implied)

FRIDAY, THE FIFTEENTH OF MAY
    TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN
    AT HALF AFTER TWO

Venue Name
    VENUE ADDRESS
    PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA

RECEPTION TO FOLLOW (you really only need to say this cause food, drinks and some type of music is implied)

I have basically used your wording here.  There is more traditional wording but as long as you are using correct spelling and grammar and are getting the point across that people are being invited to your wedding then I think using nontraditional wording is completely fine.

Edited to fix the date

• Options
    Oh and I actually really like the scroll work.  Simple, subtle, pretty.  Good job on that!

• Options
    i honestly don't think the scrolls match the dots and fonts.  good job making the scrolls!  i agree with maggie's comments.
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

i agree regarding the fonts.   I don't like the mix of fonts and the bold words within certain phrases. It seems to be an unneccesary emphasize on certain words.  I'd stick with 2 fonts - one for your names and one for everything else.  Maybe the final sentence about the reception in the script font.

• Options
    Perfect. Exactly what I needed. I can go home tonight and rework the invitation. 
  • Options
    BlueRC said:
    Perfect. Exactly what I needed. I can go home tonight and rework the invitation. 
    In regards to the "as we exchange our vows" line you could write something like "as we become united in marriage" or something like that.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I'm sorry, but  I am having trouble reading and deciphering this invitation.  It is just too busy, and the numerical date is a hot mess. I gather you don't want traditional wording, but I really cringe at poetic sentimental wording on what is supposed to be a simple invitation.  Invitations are usually worded in the third person.  The scroll design is very pretty.  I think this wording is easier to read, and more clear.

TOGETHER WITH THEIR FAMILIES

Bride's Full Name
    AND
    Groom's Full Name

INVITE YOU TO WITNESS THEIR JOY
    AS THEY ARE UNITED IN MARRIAGE

FRIDAY, THE FIFTEENTH OF MAY
    TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN
    AT HALF AFTER TWO O'CLOCK

VENUE NAME
    ADDRESS
    PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA

RECEPTION TO FOLLOW

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain is the queen of invitation wording.  Follow her advice.
  • Options
    Awwww..,shucks.  Thank you, Doeydo.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I am following that advice. I will be working on my invites hopefully this weekend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards