Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Response cards for all guests?

My MIL doesn't think I need to send response cards to the guests who I know for sure are coming, like family, because it's a waste of time & money.  She thinks the invite is sufficient.  Thoughts on this?

Re: Response cards for all guests?

• Options
    as far as time, i think it will be an even bigger time suck sorting through who gets what inserts.  are you requesting a meal choice? if yes you must send to everyone.  of course everyone knows a few people that are 100% yes's, but i think most still send to everyone.  
  • Options
    FMIL is being silly. Plans can always change; someone may have been able to go 2 months ago, but not now. How will you know if someone is bringing a guest (if you extended plus ones)?

Sending them to some guests and not others just strikes me as very strange. And it's very easy and cheap to have RSVP cards printed and stamped unless you have very expensive invitations or a very large guest list. 

Save yourself the hassle of trying to figure out who is a definite yes, and just send them to everyone. FMIL never has to know. 
  • Options
    I disagree with your FMIL.  You never know; someone you think can come now may not be able to when the invitations go out.  And not sending them to everyone makes total head counts harder to keep track of.

Just send them and don't discuss it further with your FMIL.
  • Options

We have had several people that originally said they could come, that have responded as no now that I've sent invites out because other things have come up. Things change.

Plus, it does seem like a pain to have to decide who gets a card and who doesn't.  If they don't think they need to return the RSVP, because they've already told you, then they won't return it... whatever.

Plus, when going through things as you get closer to the wedding, it is nice to have the cards there to go through to confirm who is coming and who isn't.  Even for people that didn't return their response card and just called to say no, I've written one up to put in my stack, so I can easily keep track of or count attendance by going through that stack of response cards.

• Options
    Thanks, everyone!  I disagreed with her, but I was just checking.  We are having a meal, but there is no meal choice....everyone is getting the same thing.
  • Options
    I did. Even to WP because it's easier counting them then adding numbers in my head for the people who didn't RSVP. That might just be me though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I considered this. I was putting the stamps on the reply card envelopes and I thought to myself "my parents and my bridesmaids don't need reply cards" but then I said screw it. It's like an extra $3 in postage so why come off as cheap to those people? 

• Options
    I decided that I'm going to send response cards to everyone but her.  She never has to know.  :)  Too much work to keep it all straight.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @sara_beth21 Good choice. ;) My younger sister forgot to include any sort of rsvp information in my invitation. Obviously, I was going to be there. I was her MOH, live locally, and wouldn't miss it for anything. But I still tease her about it and make jokes about not including an rsvp in her invite.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards