Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Popcorn Bar - Boxes or bags?

Hi Girls,

I am looking for some opinions.... We are doing fresh popped popcorn (big carnival type popcorn machine) as a  late night snack/favor. My fiancé and I are both obsessed with popcorn so this is very fitting for us. I have been search HIGH AND LOW for kraft paper popcorn boxes and I can't find them anywhere. That's a lie....I found some on the Tomkat Studio (link below), but they are too pricey:

http://shoptomkat.com/item_996/Scallop-Favor-Boxes--Kraft-Brown.htm

Oriental trading and all the other party supply places have popcorn boxes in a bunch of colors, but not in that "paper bag" looking color (aka kraft paper). I will settle for white if we have to, but the paper bag look matches our rustic wedding very well. My first question for you gals:  Does anyone know where I can find kraft paper popcorn boxes at a reasonable price? I'd rather them be slightly larger rather than those little 2x2 or 2x3 favor boxes, but I'll gladly take input if you know of a place.

My other thought was to cut cost down completely and just do paper bags instead (brown lunch bags). I would cut the tops w/ scalloped scissors and put a label on the bag to dress it up, but I am very concerned about the butter/oil from the popcorn going through the paper bags and getting our guests all greasy and possibly staining people's dresses/suits.

My second question is this:  Has anyone used brown lunch bags/paper bags before with popcorn? Did the butter seep through and make a mess? Or was it totally fine and I am worried for no reason?!?!??!

Thank you everyone for your help - much appreciated!

Re: Popcorn Bar - Boxes or bags?

• Options
    Actually, what about plastic bags? Many people will likely want to take it with them for later, and I for one, wouldn't want to deal with holding it in the car. You could then have twist ties with cute tags on them.
       I mean the small narrow ones that kettle corn people often use.
       Also, totally jealous of your guests. Yum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ccurvin1 said: 

My other thought was to cut cost down completely and just do paper bags instead (brown lunch bags). I would cut the tops w/ scalloped scissors and put a label on the bag to dress it up, but I am very concerned about the butter/oil from the popcorn going through the paper bags and getting our guests all greasy and possibly staining people's dresses/suits.

My second question is this:  Has anyone used brown lunch bags/paper bags before with popcorn? Did the butter seep through and make a mess? Or was it totally fine and I am worried for no reason?!?!??!

Thank you everyone for your help - much appreciated!

We're planning to have a popcorn bar, too! We haven't figured out the bags we are using yet -- but they actually make lined paper bags for this very reason. They are more expensive than just regular paper bags, though. 

But it probably depends on how long guests will keep their bag of popcorn. If they're going to save it for later, then yes, it would probably get greasy and maybe seep through. But for the use of walking around and eating it at the wedding, I don't foresee it being a big problem.

You could always do a test-run with buttery microwaved popcorn to see how much the grease seeps through the bag.
  • Options
    What about lunch type bags?  We are using lunch bags and just cutting the tops with decorative shears.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!!! Your input is very helpful. I think we are going to do waxed brown paper kraft bags. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards