Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering for exercise equipment

Would you side-eye it?

I'm thinking of putting a Bosu on my amazon registry.  It's $100 and I want one but probably wouldn't spend the money on it myself.  I know FI and I would both use it if we had one at home.  Is it game for a registry?  I'm thinking outdoorsy equipment is okay--so this should be?

Re: Registering for exercise equipment

• Options
    I wouldn't side-eye it, but I also wouldn't buy it.
  • Options
    I don't think I would side-eye it either. But I do think that will be something that is bought last, or not at all. I always figured guests would buy stuff for your house over something like that. I could be wrong though as I do not know your crowd. Seems like a cool thing though. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I probably wouldn't side eye it, but I defintely wouldn't buy it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.  Maybe it will be a registry leftover that I get for x-mas or something.  :)
  • Options
    I put work out stuff on mine. I love to work out, and if I get it that would be great. If I don't, it's ok. I will just buy it myself later.
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy it. Maybe just use some of the cash you are likely to get as a gift to buy it yourselves?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I wouldn't side eye it--and I might even buy it especially if I knew you liked to work out at home. Still, if I noticed all your place settings or wine glasses weren't bought yet I'd be more likely to get one of those items instead.
  • Options

I wouldn't side-eye it, and honestly I'd probably buy it if the "absolute essentials" (basic dishes/silverware/glasses, etc) were gone.  I like to work out, and I think those are cool!  For us, we DESPERATELY need the dishes/glasses/silverware on the registry, but the other stuff is just stuff we'd maybe like (ice cream maker, waffle maker, etc).  We did a group gift for some friends once and got them a Kegerator off their registry.  Sometimes that stuff is just more fun.

I have found that NO ONE wants to buy things like towels and sheets.  I was urged to add some of those (even though we anticipate buying a house and moving within a year of the wedding, so how could i possibly know what color/sizes of stuff i'd need right now?) and no one has even touched them.  I gues boring white towels and sheets aren't that exciting (fine with me).

• Options
    CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, I have also found that no one really wants to get the boring practical stuff and would rather give you stuff that is nice but you don't really need.  I think they want you to have something more memorable from them.  For example, the Kate Spade picture frames and DKNY cheese set and cake cutting set are all bought from my registry, but no one has touched the every day glasses, mattress pad, and sheet set which we have a much greater need for.  If I don't get any of the stuff we actually need I may end up taking some of the more fluffy stuff back to BB&B and exchanging it for a mattress pad and new sheets!

ETA: originally I had a much smaller registry with only stuff we really needed, but I got taken to task by FMIL that I didn't have enough "nice" stuff on my registries and that her family wanted to give "nice" gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards