Snarky Brides
Options

You know the whole "no one cares as much about your wedding as you do"....

Does that apply to babies as well? I personally think it does. Sorry if I offend any of you but I can't deal with this new trend of gender reveal parties. Sure people are excited for you, but no one really gives a crap that badly to attend a party just to know the sex of someone else's baby and you're kinda self centered if you think they do. Everything doesn't need some big production, just tell me the damn sex or I'll find out in a few months. 

Re: You know the whole "no one cares as much about your wedding as you do"....

• Options
    Maybe the grandparents? Otherwise, I think you're right.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:

Does that apply to babies as well? I personally think it does. Sorry if I offend any of you but I can't deal with this new trend of gender reveal parties. Sure people are excited for you, but no one really gives a crap that badly to attend a party just to know the sex of someone else's baby and you're kinda self centered if you think they do. Everything doesn't need some big production, just tell me the damn sex or I'll find out in a few months. 

100% agree.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes it does apply. Babies are awesome and all, but it's a very personal thing and nobody will love a baby like the parents. (For the most part)

Also, my mom might care more about my wedding than I do. She's very excited. lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    When I was pregnant it would never have occurred to me to do something like that, but I'm not typically a "yay! A party for everything!" kind of gal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    mcgarci2mcgarci2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I have a serious hatred towards gender reveal parties.  I think it's AWish to have a party and invite everyone just to find out the sex.  If it's wrapped into a baby shower, I think I wouldn't mind it so much, but for some reason this trend is getting to me.  I get that family goes baby crazy too, in a lot of cases, but you don't need everyone you've ever known there just to cut into a pink/blue cake or what have you.

Edit - spelling

Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • Options
    I know that my family is weird about this but if anyone gets pregnant or is adopting in my family we all get super excited. The month after my cousin found out she was pregnant and told everyone we had a family get together (not unusual and it wasn't for the pregnancy) and she ended up taking home a carload of stuff because everyone jumped the gun and bought her some stuff. So a gender reveal party would be something my relatives would love.
  • Options
    I care about gender for exactly one reason: so I know what color baby blanket to knit. And recipients have to be first cousins or closer. (Otherwise I'd literally do nothing but knit baby blankets.)
  • Options
    I care about gender for exactly one reason: so I know what color baby blanket to knit. And recipients have to be first cousins or closer. (Otherwise I'd literally do nothing but knit baby blankets.)
    Yep, that's me. The only reason I care what you're having is so I know what style of birth record to stitch for you. And if you're not finding out until the kid is born, well, chances are you won't get anything from me until the kid's 1st birthday because my services are booked well in advance!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yea, I don't get the point. And H and I probably will not find out the gender of any kids we have before they're born. At least, I don't want to tell people. I do not want to get all pink or all blue at any showers. I prefer more neutral clothes. And I really hate pink. Sure, any daughter will have a few pink outfits, but she will have no more pink outfits than she has any other color until and unless she decides she really likes pink and wants more pink clothes.  I really hate that girls get stuck in this little box of being a pink floofy princess from the time people find out they're a girl

/End rant.
    Same here!! I don't want to find out. I hate when people say "You will get all whites and yellows at the shower" UUUUMMM ook well all the shit from the shower only last up to a year anyways. He/ she isn't going to be stuck in "neutral" clothes until they're fucking 18 years old. I also would rather paint a neutral room white with like cats and dogs or something rather than blue sports and pink butterflies. 

• Options
    I've only seen gender reveals done during the baby shower. It's not a separate event, at least for people I know. The mom registers for gender neutral items, and then the parents buy girl or boy specific clothes later. I think it can be a cute idea.
  • Options
    I had a gender reveal party and had A LOT of people come. It was fun. Everybody was really excited. We are a very social couple. We have tons of friends and family they look for any reason to get together and celebrate. Everyone was really excited about or gender reveal party. We made sure people knew not to bring a gift. I think in the text I sent out I told them that " This is not a shower, no need to bring a gift, your presence is your present" I got a lot of hell on TheBump about it because people felt it was gift grabby, but I dont regret it at all. If I have anymore children I will probably do it again
  • Options
    I should say, I do get really excited, I just think the reveal parties are absolutely ridiculous.  Frankly I get way more excited about impending babies than weddings.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd also like to add that I dont think that anybody would/should ever care as much about your wedding or your baby as you do, but that doesnt mean they aren't excited or want to celebrate with you
  • Options
    Goodness! The "hype" around children is that procreating is a natural instinct of all living things and children bring a lot of happiness and joy to most people.  Nothing against people who choose not to have kids. I definitely dont think parenthood is for everyone, but I think it's a little odd to say you "dont understand the hype"  @shrekspeare
  • Options
    I fucking hate gender reveal parties.  They are dumb.  How difficult is it to just tell people as you see them or as they ask?  But to invite 50 fucking people over to your house so they can watch you cut into a cake or open a box of balloons is just ridiculous.

Was I excited for my niece to enter the world?  Yup.  Was I excited to find out she was a girl?  Yup. But that is because I am her Aunt!  But all of our friends who have had kids, I seriously did not care if they had a boy or a girl.  Was I happy for them?  Sure.  But when we did find out the gender my reaction was "Oh that's cool.  So when does the new season of Downton Abbey start?"

Just like your wedding is super special to you, to many others it is just another wedding.  Same with your kid.  Your baby is super special to you, but to me, it is just another baby.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Yea, I don't get the point. And H and I probably will not find out the gender of any kids we have before they're born. At least, I don't want to tell people. I do not want to get all pink or all blue at any showers. I prefer more neutral clothes. And I really hate pink. Sure, any daughter will have a few pink outfits, but she will have no more pink outfits than she has any other color until and unless she decides she really likes pink and wants more pink clothes.  I really hate that girls get stuck in this little box of being a pink floofy princess from the time people find out they're a girl

/End rant.
    Same here!! I don't want to find out. I hate when people say "You will get all whites and yellows at the shower" UUUUMMM ook well all the shit from the shower only last up to a year anyways. He/ she isn't going to be stuck in "neutral" clothes until they're fucking 18 years old. I also would rather paint a neutral room white with like cats and dogs or something rather than blue sports and pink butterflies. 
    THANK YOU. Plus, it just makes more sense to buy more gender-neutral baby objects because if you choose to have more children and they end up being the opposite gender, you aren't all worried about buying more stuff. Also, I don't think your baby really cares what color the room he sleeps in is or if the bib she spits up all over has footballs on it.

I just think the whole thing of a gender reveal is silly because it doesn't really matter what the child's gender is. If someone tells me they're pregnant I will be very excited for them and even more excited when I hear about the birth and that mom and baby are both doing well.
  • Options
    I love my nephew fiercely and I was thrilled to help host at his baby shower, but I would not have been down for a second party for him just to find out what parts were gonna be in the diaper.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Also do not like gender reveal parties. But at the same time, if you're offering me cake, I will always accept cake. 

I'd like to try and keep the nursery/shower goods gender neutral as well, cause I freaking hate forcing babies into gender roles. I mean, let's at least let them get to speaking before we do that.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Sex reveal parties are stupid.  Seriously.  Who gives a flying flip what your child has between it's legs?  Does it change history if your kid is a dangler or has an innie?  NOPE!!  This is the one thing I agree with the crazy Bumpies about (oh, and also the use of 'sex' vs. 'gender' since gender isn't related to what's between your legs).

I'm not finding out the sex of my baby, though we've got our anatomy scan on the 14th (team Green baby here). 

Are people irritated that we're not finding out?  Sure they are.  Even DH wants to know (which I said was fine, but make sure you don't tell me!  He opted to not find out either since he's a blabber mouth).

But, let's be real; ultrasounds and determining sex is still a relatively new technology.  People had to wait "back in the day" and it didn't impact a thing. 

And, really, will you love your baby any less if they have an outtie or an innie?  NOPE!!  That's still YOUR baby.  Their sex doesn't impact a damn thing except how people spend money.
  • Options
    Meh I'm neutral. As long as I don't have to bring a gift and I get food and cake, I'm happy. It's just an excuse to throw a party and yeah, it's a little AW but if you're hosting people properly, I don't see the issue. It's fun to get together with people and I love finding out if someone is having a boy or a girl. Of course no one's going to care about you having a baby as much as you do but if no one's getting hurt in the process, I don't see why it matters what kind of party people want to have.
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned but im more concerned about the baby being born healthy than finding out the sex and having a reveal party.

When older niece was born my sister didnt know in advance if it was a boy or girl. Lots of gender neutral clothes and a mint green nursery with frogs (sis has a thing for them).

Younger niece they found out it was a girl in advance. Only reason I recall that is because they were throwing around names they liked and I suggested they do "x y" and that way they had their top two for first and middle names. Younger niece was named "xy" and is my godchild so I feel like I had a part in naming her.
  • Options
    If I have a kid, the gender reveal will be when he/she comes out of my belly.  LOL  I won't find out the sex ahead of time.

• Options
    Totally agree with your, OP!  Totally AWish. 
  • Options

Wow.. I really don't understand the snark in this situation!  People just like to have reasons to get together, socialize, have fun, and celebrate life in our short time here on earth.  Having a baby is one of the best times in life to celebrate, and one of the most joyous occasions.  I don't have kids, and I get this..  some of these comments make me feel a little depressed for you.  Fine, if it's not your thing, stay home alone while the "AW" and the rest of your friends enjoy a wonderful day together!  Why have any showers or weddings or holiday parties or anything at all, ever?  There's a reason these things exist- to make life a little more pleasurable.

But, I also just don't understand why so many people hate showers for this same reason.  I also cried today hearing the name and gender announcement of the baby our popular local radio dj had yesterday, a stranger. :)

Also, I think there aren't many times where finding out 1 of 2 possible options is a huge win either way, I think that is the draw, and fun, of the gender reveal party.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sex reveal parties are stupid.  Seriously.  Who gives a flying flip what your child has between it's legs?  Does it change history if your kid is a dangler or has an innie?  NOPE!!  This is the one thing I agree with the crazy Bumpies about (oh, and also the use of 'sex' vs. 'gender' since gender isn't related to what's between your legs).

I'm not finding out the sex of my baby, though we've got our anatomy scan on the 14th (team Green baby here). 

Are people irritated that we're not finding out?  Sure they are.  Even DH wants to know (which I said was fine, but make sure you don't tell me!  He opted to not find out either since he's a blabber mouth).

But, let's be real; ultrasounds and determining sex is still a relatively new technology.  People had to wait "back in the day" and it didn't impact a thing. 

And, really, will you love your baby any less if they have an outtie or an innie?  NOPE!!  That's still YOUR baby.  Their sex doesn't impact a damn thing except how people spend money.
    Thank you for saying this! I was just about to do that when I saw your post! 

I can't get behind a sex reveal party either. Baby showers, fine. I can understand that and sure celebrating new life can be fun (especially if there's cake and wine involved). I just hate how gendered everything around babies becomes. You reveal that your baby's sex is male and all of a sudden everything is blue and has prints of cars on it. Why not celebrate that you're having a healthy, baby human being and allow the gender and identify of that child to develop as he or she grows rather than forcing him/her into a box before they're even born!
  • Options
    I agree - gender reveal parties are a bit much and unnecessary, but I would still attend if it were my own family.  

Parties to celebrate something wonderful are, well, wonderful.  Weddings, milestone anniversaries, new babies, etc. are all great... but please, for the love of God, don't force people to care.  Those that care, care.  Those that don't, don't. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards