Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Sending out Engagement Announcments but No engagement party ok?

My parents offered to throw us an engagement party, or give us money towards an addition to our house instead... thinking of our priorities, the addition would make so much more sense...

Even though most people have heard, I thought it would be nice to send an engagement announcement, with a photo of us when we got engaged, and link back to our wedding website so they can get started on following info about the wedding... would this be ok or would the announcement make people think we are having a party to follow?? We have already spent a night out in the city with some friends to celebrate as well- so the party would be more for our family.

Re: Sending out Engagement Announcments but No engagement party ok?

• Options
    I wouldn't think there was a party to follow. That being said, why not wait and send that information with a STD?
  • Options
    Were still over a year away from the wedding- so save the dates wont happen for a decent amoutn of time,
  • Options
    Save the dates go out anywhere from 6-12 months. As soon as you know what your venue is, you can send them out within that time range. 

Honestly, I would find an engagement announcement kind of silly. Not to mention, I think it would be incredibly inappropriate to send an announcement to anyone who will not be invited to the wedding. So if you don't have a set guest list, this may be a bad idea. 

Just work on your venue and send the STD at the 12 month mark. 
  • Options
    Ditto PDKH. Skip the announcements, finalize your venue and guestlist, then send STDs. I wouldn't send them more than a year out though. 
  • Options
    Engagement announcements are printed in the newspaper.  They are NEVER sent to people in the mail!  NEVER!  That is very rude and gift grabby.
    Many people don't have engagement parties.  I didn't.  My daughter didn't.  Take the money your parents have generously offered.  Throw a great party for your friends and relatives (NOT an engagement party) in your new addition.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure that I would send out specific engagement announcements without a party to follow.  I agree that it is a little gift grabby and some people may feel obligated to give a gift.  I would just tell people by word of mouth.  If you really want to give people an announcement, have an engagement photo session and give out pictures to your closest family members and friends.  You can even use one of the photos for your save the dates when the wedding comes up. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did do engagement announcements right away actually. Literally, we got engaged on a Wednesday engagement pictures were taken on that Saturday afterwards and were sent out on Monday. We do not have a set date for the wedding so the save the date announcements will come much later. We weren't planning on an official engagement party so to speak but that's what it was anyways. We just wanted to have a small dinner with close family and friends and that's it. Instead lots of people showed up with gifts and the whole 9 yards and that's not what we had planned but it was still nice anyways. Also, we did not mention on our engagement announcement pictures any indication of the dinner we did end up having we just called people and it was by word of mouth. Maybe, that's just what people expect when you send out engagement announcements...
  • Options
    It is not polite etiquette to mail engagement announcements.  It is too much like a gift grab.  The only proper place to print your engagement announcement is in the newspaper.
    Sorry, but this is the truth.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We didn't mail out engagement announcements and we didn't have an engagement party.  My parents actually don't believe in them.  Engagement parties are not required and are fairly recent thing.  When we set a date, for two years away from our engagement, we let it travel by word of mouth and obviously when we saw people, if they would ask, we would tell them.  We also mailed our STDs out at 8 months.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If I received an engagement announcement not only would I think it was weird but I would also think that I was going to be invited to your engagement party and wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards