Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Didn't really think the 'guest book' through

I knew for a while that instead of a standard guest book that would be tucked into a drawer and never looked at again, that I wanted to do a map. Both my fiance love to travel and I'm a map enthusiast. We got a beautiful world map locally for only $12. I thought great, check that off. I knew we needed to frame it, but didn't consider the price of the frame when we decided to go with a map. I just ordered the frame from a discount online retailer for $160. It's considerably less than what the local shop wanted, but still... I have a $182 guest book!

Chalk it up to lack of planning. Now my fingers are just crossed than a 32-inch-wde map fits on the table for people to sign it!

Re: Didn't really think the 'guest book' through

• Options
    Typically guest books that are more unique can cost more.  It's ok that it is expensive as long as your happy with it thats all that matters.  We will be doing a photobook guest book and will need a photobooth and special photo album that will obviously cost more than a standard guestbook.  But that is what will make your wedding unique and in my opinion its the personal touches that really make a wedding.  Maybe ask you venue to hang the map on the wall in the frame and just remove the glass for guests to sign.  Or purchase an easel and prop up the frame without the glass so that guests can sign.  We just recently had a picture frame guestbook for my sister's bridal shower and it went really well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What the crap...how large is it? 32 inches is less than 3 feet. I have artwork that's about 3 feet by 4 feet and got frames at Walmart for $10. Granted the clear part is plastic not glass but I still think it looks great and no one has said otherwise lol

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    What the crap...how large is it? 32 inches is less than 3 feet. I have artwork that's about 3 feet by 4 feet and got frames at Walmart for $10. Granted the clear part is plastic not glass but I still think it looks great and no one has said otherwise lol
    32x50. It's not a common size.

• Options
    SBmini said:
    jenna8984 said:
    32x50. It's not a common size.

Oh I see. Well that sounds like it'll be really pretty! We're having a slight travel theme too, the table numbers will be cities we've been to with a picture of us there. 

• Options
    I just had this conversation with FI's son because he has some weird size movie posters he wanted to frame. When I explained to him how much it would probably cost he changed his mind. FWIW, I have a $10 poster hanging in my guest room in a $250 frame. LOL

I think the map is a really cute idea though and if it's something that you guys will display in your house then it is worth the money. That's one less piece of artwork you will have to buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards