Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Sorority traditions

Does your sorority have wedding traditions?  I'm a Kappa Kappa Gamma, and we have a song called "Oh Pat" that is sung at weddings.  It's a fun, lively song, and all of the Kappas usually make a circle around the bride and groom (or just the groom).

I've also seen brides borrow their sisters' pins to either pin inside their dress or on their bouquet.  I've seen this for other sororities, too.  (Yay, Pinterest!)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sorority traditions

• I think most sororities have basically the same tradition, just different songs. We (Sigma Kappa) do the same thing. I've also been to a wedding where the bride placed a tiny violet (our flower) at each sorority sister's place setting. 
  • We don't have any songs for weddings.  There is a poem that some members of my chapter have had read at their wedding (provided the officiant allows it).  If there are a bunch of us at a reception we will start chanting.  We can still blow the roof off of the place doing that.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a Delta Zeta, and we also do the circle around the bride and sing our song. I am also planning on having the sisters pin a roes petal on, with a bowl of them and a cute sine set up at the front of the church !
  • I'm a Delta Gamma and our quarterly magazine just had a whole article on traditions to incorporate into weddings! They had an example of a bouquet, garter, cake design, and recommended an option to have special pins or flowers for fellow sisters to wear at the ceremony.

• My sorority does a dance at weddings, but I don't plan to include that in mine.
  • I lent my sis my pin for her something borrowed. My sorority sings a song to the bride.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm an ADPi, but probably wont be doing our song...its a little too slow for a party!
  • Thanks for sharing, ladies!  I haven't been to a Kappa wedding yet, and we're a relatively young chapter (founded 2007), so I'm hoping more of our alumnae will incorporate some Kappa love into their weddings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm KKG too-the last few weddings I went to were of my sorority sisters, but the majority in attendance were not members so we didn't sing oh pat. But that's also probably because we are 2006 grads and it's just been a while (outside of my core group of girls, most have grown a part).
  • I'm thinking of the Kappas I'm planning to invite.  Pretty sure they'd make "Oh Pat" happen even without a huge group.  I'd do it for them.  :-P

I guess the hitting the ground part is a little awkward...lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's cool that so many people like to do these traditions. Singing songs to each other sounds really cute. I don't want to do my sorority's tradition of doing a dance at weddings. I love dancing, I just hate this dance. Haha.
  • PDKH said:
    I think most sororities have basically the same tradition, just different songs. We (Sigma Kappa) do the same thing. I've also been to a wedding where the bride placed a tiny violet (our flower) at each sorority sister's place setting. 
    That's our flower!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• whitjoy said:
    I'm an ADPi, but probably wont be doing our song...its a little too slow for a party!
    I am too :-)

<>

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• whitjoy said:

I'm an ADPi, but probably wont be doing our song...its a little too slow for a party!

<>

Me three :) that being said I know of no at-the- wedding traditions.

• PDKH said:
    I think most sororities have basically the same tradition, just different songs. We (Sigma Kappa) do the same thing. I've also been to a wedding where the bride placed a tiny violet (our flower) at each sorority sister's place setting. 
    I'm a Sigma Kappa too! I didn't know of a song our chapter sings at weddings though...I wasn't planning on doing anything sorority related at our wedding.
  • whitjoy said:

<>
    Me neither. My knowledge ends with the songs sung at pinnings.

• I'm a Delta Gamma and our quarterly magazine just had a whole article on traditions to incorporate into weddings! They had an example of a bouquet, garter, cake design, and recommended an option to have special pins or flowers for fellow sisters to wear at the ceremony.
    I'm a Delta Gamma, too! The badge on the inside of the dress was something I'd seen before, and knowing the sisters I'm inviting, they'll probably make Dream Girl happen. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am part of a local sorority in NJ. What a lot of my sisters have been doing when they get married is they form our sisterhood circle around the new bride and her spouse and have the DJ play our sorority song "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor. It is the only time a man in allowed in the center of the circle. And then we have the DJ play I Will Survive by Gloria Ganor and we dance our faces off. I know many Grooms and Brides who have had to sit outside the circle during formals taking photographs are very excited to be allowed in the circle.
  • whitjoy said:

<>
    Me 3!!

•  

whitjoy said:

<>

Ha or well, me four? I have been to a few ADPi weddings, and at all of them we have sang the "slow song" and the brides have enjoyed it.
  • Kappa here, as well. I have sung Pat at way too many weddings. It was cute when we were younger, but since we graduated in 2005, it's been awhile. I went to a wedding of a younger sister this summer where we were forced to sing it. The whole thing is just embarrassing to me now, so we skipped it at my wedding.
  • I'm not an Alumni of my old Sorority since I dropped out three weeks before graduation (long story) but I'm inviting a ton of my sisters and I wouldn't be surprised if they sang me the wedding song. Funny thing though is that I don't even remember it lol
  • I'm an Alpha Xi, we've done two different traditions at weddings over the years. Some brides have chosen to have us stand in a circle and sing to them; others decided to have their groom sit and then join in and sing with us.I always feel super awkward with people singing to me (happy birthday is the worst) and FI is very much the same. I'm planning to have roses or some way to symbolize our sisterhood, but I don't know about the singing tradition! Also, 90% of the time nobody knows what song we should sing or the words to the song we plan to sing!
  • I have to question how much this is enjoyed by anybody other than the participants.
  • kae07 said:
    I'm an Alpha Xi, we've done two different traditions at weddings over the years. Some brides have chosen to have us stand in a circle and sing to them; others decided to have their groom sit and then join in and sing with us.I always feel super awkward with people singing to me (happy birthday is the worst) and FI is very much the same. I'm planning to have roses or some way to symbolize our sisterhood, but I don't know about the singing tradition! Also, 90% of the time nobody knows what song we should sing or the words to the song we plan to sing!
    Alpha Xi here as well! We normally sing Alpha Xi girl, stand in a circle, and hand pink roses to the bride so by the end of the song she has a bouquet of pink roses. 
  • I have to question how much this is enjoyed by anybody other than the participants.
    A lot of mom's really like it, or so it seems. They think it's really sweet. It kind of depends on the wedding you're attending, if the groom was in a fraternity it's cute because both sides sing to each other (been to a lot of those), but if it's one sided I think there's mixed reviews. I think people enjoy it more when there's a big crowd of people, at my best friend's wedding there were only three people there to sing. My FI wasn't in a house but he claims that he will make his friends sing to me and he'll make it like the scene in Top Gun (his favorite movie). I have yet to decide how serious he is!!!
    HuckSC said:
    kae07 said:
    I'm an Alpha Xi, we've done two different traditions at weddings over the years. Some brides have chosen to have us stand in a circle and sing to them; others decided to have their groom sit and then join in and sing with us.I always feel super awkward with people singing to me (happy birthday is the worst) and FI is very much the same. I'm planning to have roses or some way to symbolize our sisterhood, but I don't know about the singing tradition! Also, 90% of the time nobody knows what song we should sing or the words to the song we plan to sing!
    Alpha Xi here as well! We normally sing Alpha Xi girl, stand in a circle, and hand pink roses to the bride so by the end of the song she has a bouquet of pink roses. 
    I LOVE THAT! That's a wonderful idea!! I doubt anyone knows that song (I don't haha) but my old roommate was song leader in the chapter for a couple of years.
  • I'm a Tri Delta, and the girls in my chapter sing a DDD song called "Rugged But Right" to the couple. I've never planned to invite many sisters (I graduated 10 years before our probable timeframe), but the ones I can't imagine not being there will probably make it happen.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

• ADPi here also! Most of our weddings don't include singing, but get us together and there'll be numerous pictures of us throwing our diamonds. My year does that because we had a deaf sister, so thus opted to not sing since it excluded her.
    As someone who would not be a participant, there is no question in my mind how much I would "enjoy" this.
    Shit, I felt awkward as hell as a participant. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards