Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Programs - Do I need them?

In an effort to keep on budget, I'm looking for things to cut.  Do I really need to have programs printed?  We are having a Jewish ceremony, which is relatively short and not filled with readings / hymns like I have seen at Catholic weddings.  Our extended families may not know the names of our bridal party members, but does this make programs a necessity?  What other information would guests miss if I don't have them?

Re: Programs - Do I need them?

• Options
    Some questions:

-Are you inviting a significant number of non-Jewish guests who will not be familiar with the proceedings at a Jewish wedding? 
    -How much of the ceremony will be in English as opposed to Hebrew or some other language?
    -Do you have any deceased/absent loved ones you would like to give a tribute to?

If there will be a lot of people there who don't know Hebrew or aren't familiar with how Jewish weddings go, then I would have programs so that they can follow what is happening.  And if you have anyone who you'd like to remember with a tribute, again, that's a good reason to have a program.
  • Options
    Programs are never necessary; and generally, no one really cares about your WP's names even if you do put them in a program. 

That said, I generally enjoy skimming the program pre-ceremony, and I find them helpful for unfamiliar ceremonies. Are most of your guests Jewish or at least familiar with Jewish ceremonies? If not, you might consider them just to help everyone understand the religious significance/symbolism. Vistaprint can do stupid cheap programs for you. 
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Some questions:

-Are you inviting a significant number of non-Jewish guests who will not be familiar with the proceedings at a Jewish wedding?  
    The only people there who are not Jewish are our close friends.  All of our family / family friends are Jewish and would know what was going on. 

-How much of the ceremony will be in English as opposed to Hebrew or some other language?
    The ceremony itself, including the vows, will be in English.  The only Hebrew will be the prayers, like the blessing over the wine.  The officiant is my fiance's grandfather, who is a Rabbi, and he will make everything as clear as possible.  

-Do you have any deceased/absent loved ones you would like to give a tribute to?
    Nope

If there will be a lot of people there who don't know Hebrew or aren't familiar with how Jewish weddings go, then I would have programs so that they can follow what is happening.  And if you have anyone who you'd like to remember with a tribute, again, that's a good reason to have a program.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    Some questions:

The only people there who are not Jewish are our close friends.  All of our family / family friends are Jewish and would know what was going on. 

The ceremony itself, including the vows, will be in English.  The only Hebrew will be the prayers, like the blessing over the wine.  The officiant is my fiance's grandfather, who is a Rabbi, and he will make everything as clear as possible.  

Nope

The program doesn't have to list your wedding party members or anything like that, but I think even your close friends who aren't Jewish could benefit from something that explains what's going on.  Even the prayer over the wine could use translation and/or transliteration. 

And being Jewish does not in and of itself automatically make someone familiar with a Jewish service.  I am Jewish and have plenty of technically Jewish but non-practicing relatives, friends, and acquaintances who would not understand a Jewish wedding ceremony.  So I wouldn't make the automatic assumption that your Jewish friends and relatives would automatically know what's happening.
  • Options
    Not necessary, but I do enjoy flipping through them. But I'm also the girl who enjoys reading the back of the Wheat Thins box and all the ads on the gas pump.

• Options
    We aren't having programs. I don't think they are necessary if your ceremony is short and to the point. Plus everyone just throws them out after anyways.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We aren't having programs. I don't think they are necessary if your ceremony is short and to the point. Plus everyone just throws them out after anyways.
    Jewish weddings are to the point, but they do take some time to get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards