Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Wedding license

Does anyone have any feedback on getting the wedding license?  One person told me it's easier to ferry over to Algiers rather than going to the CBD for it.  We're arriving on a Wednesday for a Saturday wedding and the first order of business when we land is the license.  Thanks!

Re: Wedding license

• Options

We went to the Algiers courthouse.  We were getting married on a Sunday so we flew in on Wednesday to get the license.  We showed up at 11am and were told their computers were down and to come back at 1pm (after lunch). We showed back up at 1pm, were able to get our license and make it out before their computers went back down again.   When I mentioned we needed to get it done that day because of the waiting period she laughed and said, "Don't worry girl...there are plenty of ways around that!"

Keep in mind there seems to be only one woman that works in that office that can do the marriage licenses, so make sure you call beforehand and make sure someone is even there to help you that day. 

We had issues getting our final certified marriage certificate because our Officiant signed it in the wrong spot...it took almost 6 months of us trying to get someone in that department to help us.  Nightmare.  

• Options
    You can get your marriage license in any parish you know.  It may be worth it to take a cab to the 24th judicial district court in Gretna which is Jefferson Parish.  Everything is more efficient in Jefferson.  My fiance and I are attys and he got ours in 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Aeb74Aeb74 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

The Algiers experience does sound like a nightmare!  I'll have to check into Jefferson Parish or see if we can swing by on our way to the FQ right after we land.  We're going to be putting together welcome bags at our hotel and dropping them off afterwards for everyone arriving the next day, so time will be precious. 

And I do appreciate the more efficient courthouses.  I'm also in the legal arena, and know that some can just be grueling to deal with! 

Thank you ladies!

• Options
    I read that under certain circumstances your officiant can waive the 72 hour requirement. http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/644
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards