Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Band and E-Ring Fit

So I got my wedding ring today (I ordered it off etsy - which I know was a risk!). It's absolutely beautiful, but it doesn't sit flush with my e-ring (Tiffany Soleste), which is not what I have always imagined! I can't afford the Tiffany wedding band I want (platinum/diamond eternity), so that's not an option. I won't sauder them together, and I really am not a fan on the curved rings. Is it more common to have them separated? I've never actually paid much attention to other people's rings before! It's growing on me a little - but I don't want to regret it.

Re: Wedding Band and E-Ring Fit

• I'm in the same boat as you - I have no idea what kind of wedding band to get to go with mine, and I never wanted to solder them together so I'd have the option of just wearing the band sometimes.  I don't think I'm going to have that option with my ring though because of the shape of it.  I think I'd rather have them sit flush or it would annoy me, I think.  FI and I have to go and look at bands set with it I guess to decide what to get. 

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Similiar situation here!  I went this weekend to look for a band (wedding next month, i gotta get moving!).    I def don't want one to be curved, i want to be able to wear it alone.  I tried on a bunch and found one that was very thin, that almost sits under the halo part of my ring, but not flush still. I love my e-ring, but wasn't thinking about bands when i got it!   I am going to see the jeweler who made my e-ring, to see if he can make what I am looking for.  

• I had wedding band drama this weekend too! LOL I have a solitaire, but it is set different than normal solitaires and literally nothing in the store would fit right with it. I finally told the jeweler to just make the ring that I picked out work with it. He said he wouldn't do it because I would end up regretting that there were gaps between my rings after I wore them for awhile.

I did finally end up finding a ring that worked with it, but I had to get something a lot smaller and different than what I had originally wanted. I'm happy that I went with what they suggested though because I think he was right that I would have felt like it looked weird.
  • Ugh! I think I may just have to try on more rings and see what I can find. I just sort of assumed that the rings would fit together - but there is a tiny bump out on the center setting and you can see there is a pretty large gap. I don't want to just settle and have it bug me.
  • I think that gap would annoy me too - but what if you kept that band to wear alone when you don't want to wear the engagement ring and get the curved one to wear with the e-ring?

• Yeah, I was worried about same thing. I found a curved one that would work with my ring, but still didn't really want a curved one.  I ended up getting a thin (plain gold) band with a low profile, so it doesn't sit as high as the normal 1/2 round bands. It will still leave a little gap, but the low profile makes it sit mostly under my solitaire, so the gap is much smaller.

It sounds like gap is a normal problem. With the ring I wanted, they said that most people just accept the gap and get used to it. If you are able to get used to it and it doesn't bother you, then I wouldn't worry about it. Or you may be able to see if you can get it as a low profile, but that's harder to do with diamonds than with just a plain band.

• It's only 1.5 mm Diam. for each band - so I could go to maybe 1mm, but the issue is with the prongs holding the setting up - which are slightly wider than 1.5 mm, so I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference. I think I'm just going to have to try more rings on to get a better sense of what I can and can't do. 
  • I have a gap between my rings. My band is curved, but I have another band for when I want to wear just a band and not my e-ring. I'd suggest taking it to a jeweler's to see if they have any suggestions if you really love the band you already have. 
  • edited April 2014
    I work at a jeweler and sometimes we can notch out a small piece in a band to make it sit flush with the e-ring.

My e-ring would not work with straight bands at all and while I liked the bands that come to a point, I ended up with a filigree band with marquise-cut sapphires and round diamonds. It's straight, but the curving shapes make kind of natural notches and my e-ring usually stays put in one of them.

• We went looking yesterday and I was disappointed with the way the available bands looked.  The best one I found was this one, but it still gaps.  We are getting a quote from the jewelry store to see about getting a custom band made to fit flush with my ring - it would be about the same width as one of the tiny sides, with the same small diamonds.  

• I have always disliked the curved bands as well, but as I started to try them on with my E-ring, I realized that is probably the best option. My ring is very high set with a double halo and twist shank, so very hard to find a basic band that could sit flush with it. When I tried on the curved band that we will probably be ordering it fit so perfectly that they could almost have been one ring together.
  • This topic reminds me that I need to go to a jeweler and try on some bands!
  • I got two bands and neither are curved. The rose gold band is thin enough that it sit very close the the engagement ring (only a tiny gap but I don't mind). My problem with a curved band is that if you don't solder them to the engagement ring they can still rotate separately when you where them and I think it looks even worse.    
  • Fi got me my e-ring as a surprise. I had no idea what it would look like before he gave it to me. I love it with all of my heart and really don't want to have to switch off, but because of its shape, I don't think there's any chance of happening across a wedding band that will sit flush with it. Fi knows the jeweler who made it so hopefully we can have one made to go with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my wedding band this weekend, too. My e-ring diamond is not set super high up but I will still have a small gap. I didn't want a curved ring. I guess I always assumed they would be completely flush but I am over it - too many other wedding stresses to think about!
  • TheMoez said:
    I got two bands and neither are curved. The rose gold band is thin enough that it sit very close the the engagement ring (only a tiny gap but I don't mind). My problem with a curved band is that if you don't solder them to the engagement ring they can still rotate separately when you where them and I think it looks even worse.    
    I'm going to have to solder - I didn't really want to but I can't wear a fitted band alone.  Guess I will just have to hold out for our 10-year and get the anniversary band that I can wear alone at that point.  :D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards