Attire & Accessories Forum

Alfred Angelo alterations

Does anyone have any experience with alterations though AA? I'm a little worried...the sales person convinced me to order a size 18, instead of a size 14 (I wear a street size 12). Even when she showed me the sizing chart my biggest measurements were less than the size 16. I'm concerned that they do this to try to get more money out of you for alterations, and I'm also afraid I will lose details on the dress if they have to alter it so much. It's already being sewn, so there's not much I can do about the size...but I just have this uneasy feeling about it.

Re: Alfred Angelo alterations

• Don't worry about it. A few sizes is a minimal change and I doubt you'll notice. Where you may run into problems is bringing it in more than 6 sizes, becaue that could change the structure of the dress in addition to the size. I'm sure it'll look great. Also, I don't know about your store, but my alterations place charged by the work, not by the size. So taking it in on the sides, whether an inch or three, would be the same price (assuming nothing else has to be altered).
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I ordered my gown through AA, but said "Eff you" to their alterations department.  Primarily because they couldn't give me a simple, no obligation quote on the work I wanted done (hem, bustle and work on the bodice).

I finally got the store manager to give me a quote, but by then, I was so irritated with the experience I just kept my gown and took it to a seamstress.

I do know they ordered my gown large to make sure it would fit my bust.  I don't feel like I lost any detail when my seamstress had to take it in, and the gown was still beautiful. 

You should be able to take your dress to an independent seamstress and get their opinion (I went to one who offered me a free quote) if you don't trust the AA alterations department.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards