Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

How do you mention the people handing out your Wedding Programs and exit toss items?

So I started putting together the Wedding Programs and made sure to mention WP, including the RB and FG, along with our parents and the grandparents ... 

then my fiance said "What about the nieces that are passing out the bubbles and the programs? You have to mention them too!!"  

all the examples I've seen for Wedding Programs simply mention Ushers as the only other "title"... but none of them have a title for the people who pass out the other stuff.  any suggestions on what their title could be? maybe attendants??

Re: How do you mention the people handing out your Wedding Programs and exit toss items?

• Options

So I started putting together the Wedding Programs and made sure to mention WP, including the RB and FG, along with our parents and the grandparents ... 

then my fiance said "What about the nieces that are passing out the bubbles and the programs? You have to mention them too!!"  

all the examples I've seen for Wedding Programs simply mention Ushers as the only other "title"... but none of them have a title for the people who pass out the other stuff.  any suggestions on what their title could be? maybe attendants??
    @primapixie

1. Why are you having them pass them out? Can't guests pick them up if they want them?

2. You could put a title of attendants or just put a section called special thanks to X and Z who handed out the programs and bubbles.
  • Options

No you do not have to mention them because they are not part of the wedding.  Instead they are doing crap jobs, that you and your FI must think is an honor.  It isn't.  Don't mention them in the program because the reason why you are having trouble thinking of a title is because there is no title for what they are doing.  Instead just buy your nieces and whoever else is taking on shitty jobs that are not needed a gift card or something like that for their services.

• Options

Since nobody feels "honored" by being asked to pass things out at a wedding, you don't do it, and you don't list them in a program.  If you really want to "honor" these people, just treat them as guests without trying to find "jobs" for them to do, let alone make up cutesy titles for it.
  • Options
    "The child labourers who are not even getting paid"?
  • Options
    Those are jobs for paid staff, not for friends and family.  You don't mention staff in the program.

Asking someone to pass out programs is a slap in the face as it is.  Putting them in the program for it just adds insult to injury.  
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Since nobody feels "honored" by being asked to pass things out at a wedding, you don't do it, and you don't list them in a program.  If you really want to "honor" these people, just treat them as guests without trying to find "jobs" for them to do, let alone make up cutesy titles for it.
    I'm usually on team "don't give people random jobs" but in this case if these are kids, they may very well be really excited about it, in which case I would list them and give them thank you gifts for helping.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to add - no adult feels honored to do these things.  I think the severity of some of these responses is way over the top if  these are children.

My daughter would be over the moon to be asked to hand out stupid crap at someone's wedding.  She's 9.

I would be pissed and leave the shit by the door, because I'm a grown-up and would not think this was fun or special.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to add - no adult feels honored to do these things.  I think the severity of some of these responses is way over the top if  these are children.

My daughter would be over the moon to be asked to hand out stupid crap at someone's wedding.  She's 9.

I would be pissed and leave the shit by the door, because I'm a grown-up and would not think this was fun or special.
    True, but it really depends on the kid. Nobody should assume anybody wants to do these kinds of things, or are capable of being responsible for it. My 9 yo nephew would be a little shit and draw monsters all over all the programs or fold them into paper airplanes if given the chance.

I still think a basket is the safest bet, or placing one on each chair in advance. Nobody's feelings should be hurt by not being asked to do this.

• Options
    We had an 8-year-old who asked to hand out bubbles, so we let him. Sometimes kids love doing what we would consider crap jobs. We didn't have programs, though, so we didn't "call" him anything.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

I'm usually on team "don't give people random jobs" but in this case if these are kids, they may very well be really excited about it, in which case I would list them and give them thank you gifts for helping.
    Or they may very well not like the idea at all.  But even if they do agree to do it, I would not try to come up with a cutesy title for them. 

Maybe I'd call them "helpers" because that's what they're doing, helping out.  Hopefully that doesn't come across as cheesy or cutesy or otherwise undignified.
  • Options

I don't have anything to add to the OP, but I wanted to comment on the bolded. I was at a wedding once and after everyone was sat the FOG was running around the church handing people programs because he said he was supposed to hand them out when people came in, but he forgot and the bride was pissed. LOL 
  • Options
    I don't understand why you're splitting this up into multiple "jobs." Go to any quality theatrical show or almost any church service, an usher greets you at the door, hands you a program/bulletin, and shows you to your seat. It's all one task. I fail to see the difference. I also don't understand why you'd assign a child to do a greeter's job. 
  • Options
    kitty8403 said:
    I don't understand why you're splitting this up into multiple "jobs." Go to any quality theatrical show or almost any church service, an usher greets you at the door, hands you a program/bulletin, and shows you to your seat. It's all one task. I fail to see the difference. I also don't understand why you'd assign a child to do a greeter's job. 

I am guessing they were looking for ways to include all the kids in their lives in the wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    This actually describes our wedding as well — our two nieces are going to help hand out rose petals after the ceremony. They are young enough to be excited about being involved but old enough to do it responsibly.
    The title would be "Attendant" but we decided not to list them in our program. I don't think it's a good idea to print anyone who isn't officially part of the wedding party because who performs these types of jobs can always change in the moment.
  • Options
    I guess I somewhat disagree with everyone about being asked as an adult to do the menial tasks. I monitored the guest book at my brother's wedding and loved it because it gave me a chance to see and talk to every guest as they came in the door. And I personally knew almost every guest that was there. Now...I would not enjoy doing the guest book or gift table for a friend because I likely wouldn't know most of the guests. I think it just depends on the situation.

• Options
    I guess I somewhat disagree with everyone about being asked as an adult to do the menial tasks. I monitored the guest book at my brother's wedding and loved it because it gave me a chance to see and talk to every guest as they came in the door. And I personally knew almost every guest that was there. Now...I would not enjoy doing the guest book or gift table for a friend because I likely wouldn't know most of the guests. I think it just depends on the situation.

But couldn't you still have talked to each guest that you knew throughout the night without having to man the guest book?

• Options
    Maybe. Maybe not. At my brother's wedding, I was the first person every guest encountered when they arrived for the ceremony, so it gave me a good opportunity to talk to everyone...and meet a few people I didn't already know. I definitely wouldn't have had that opportunity otherwise. Honestly, unless I'm the bride (which I will be in August) or the parent's of the bride, there's no way I would end up talking with every guest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards