Connecticut
Options

Cake Topper

Where did you purchase your cake topper? I would like something customized, or at least our same hair color. I looked on etsy but they were pricey. Ideas?

Re: Cake Topper

• Options
    we are not having one.  haven't seen someone use one in a longggg time.  but maybe that's just in my circle.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @KCLindgren: We used this shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/lollipopworkshop. It was pricy, but it was so worth it ... below is the picture of my finished product :)

Edit: I also liked them because they are based in NY. I started with a bobble head company based in China and it was VERY difficult to work with them.

• Options
    We used www.militarycaketoppers.com Also pricey but they customized it down the correct number or stripes and correct medals on my fiancées uniform, not that anyone else will realize that but what can I say I'm a detail person. I did see one non-military uniform on there and since they customize it based on pictures you send I'd imagine they'll do anything you want. They are based in SC. I agree a US based company is much easier to work with, supports our country, and doesn't use lead paint on something that is going on my cake! Below is our final product! Ps a lot of our friends did just the first letter of their last name for a cake topper which you can get on etsy.  I've also seen the monogram ones.  I love the idea and it's definitely cheaper, but we'd been to too many weddings that did this already in our group.  

imageimageimage
  • Options
    We're not using people for our cake topper but we got a customized topper made to match our monogram used on all our paper products from the shop Better Off Wed in Etsy. She was fantastic to work with and even her non-customized options are really adorable.
  • Options
    Ohashes11 said:
    We used www.militarycaketoppers.com Also pricey but they customized it down the correct number or stripes and correct medals on my fiancées uniform, not that anyone else will realize that but what can I say I'm a detail person. I did see one non-military uniform on there and since they customize it based on pictures you send I'd imagine they'll do anything you want. They are based in SC. I agree a US based company is much easier to work with, supports our country, and doesn't use lead paint on something that is going on my cake! Below is our final product! Ps a lot of our friends did just the first letter of their last name for a cake topper which you can get on etsy.  I've also seen the monogram ones.  I love the idea and it's definitely cheaper, but we'd been to too many weddings that did this already in our group.  

imageimageimage
    *cringe* 
  • Options
    @charlotteetier that is SO cute!  I especially love the doggies!
  • Options
    I love them all! Thanks for posting!
    Sheslikeasuburn, I don't think it was very nice to post that. ohashes is clearly already married. What's done is done--if she likes it, who cares?
  • Options
    This is what I want. Unfortunately the seller is not shipping until July and my wedding is in June.
  • Options
    @KCLindgren - I looked at that company as well. If I remember from Etsy they were from China, and since I had the bad experience with the bobble head company I didn't want to use them.

I have also seen a few other Etsy stores and some offer a "rush" fee to get it quicker. I ordered mine in February and we got it in March.
  • Options
    You're right, it wasn't very nice of me to post that.  However, I really cringe when I see this on pinterest, in mags, etc.  Like with so many topics on these boards, there is an opportunity to help other brides see why something they think is cute/"what they want" may be really off to their guests. @CaliMel11 said it best:

"The bride dragging the groom to the alter cake toppers always bother me too. I feel like they're childish and sad. Like oh hahaha look, he doesn't REALLY want to get married so I forced him to propose and look at me I got MY dream wedding!"
  • Options
    also I don't believe that bride is already married, based on the tense she spoke in and the fact that the topper is too big for the cake.  i assume it's a model cake or something.
  • Options
    @shelikesasunburn isn't the only one who feels that way about those types of "bride dragging groom" cake toppers.  She's just one of the only ones with the balls to say it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lol ya I'm getting married next weekend I'm not married yet. I guess you have to know us to understand, anyone who knows us knows it's funny. I most certainly didn't have to force him to marry me, and I AM having my dream wedding because we worked our a$$es off to pay for it. Apparently you're all soooo much more proper than I am. Sorry from now on ill remember to be prim and proper. :rolling eyes: Lol.
  • Options
    Sorry, I guess I don't get the connection between thinking a dragging topper is sad and being prim and proper. The only way people who know you would "understand" it is if it's a reflection of reality.

Good luck next weekend. I'm sure it will be everything you dreamed of.
  • Options
    @shelikesasunburn I'm sorry I guess its the same way I dont understand how you were taking the opportunity to help me see why something I "think" I want may be off-putting to my guests when clearly you were blatantly bashing me, which is fine freedom is speech is a beautiful thing but don't try to play it off like you were trying to help me when you were clearly being a pretentious -insert word I cant say- .

For us the topper actually has nothing to do with being dragged to the alter.  It has a bit more meaning behind it and anyone who is friends with us knows that.  My fiance is the outgoing party guy who loves to talk. The running joke in our group of friends is that I better start getting him ready to leave an hour before I actually want to leave because he's a chit chatter and I'm always "dragging him out" at the end of the night as the bar/restaurant/whatever is closing.  So yes I understand that it is advertised as "groom being dragged to alter", but that's not the meaning it has for us.  The only people who may not get it would be plus ones, and guess what I don't really care.  So yes its a reflection of reality but not in that I forced him to marry me or go to the alter or whatever you want to think in your closed little mind. I didn't realize things were only allowed to have one meaning, or that I'd have to defend my choice of cake topper, or myself to someone who knows nothing about me or my fiance or how hard we've worked to get where we are.  I don't give a shit what you say about my wedding, but when you insinuate that I'm one of those I get what want its my wedding type of brides you strike a chord that truly pisses me off because you couldnt be further from the truth.  I don't need your "help" or your fake well wishes. What's sad is people like you who judge others based on something as stupid as a cake topper.  Grow up.
  • Options
    All I did was say that kind of cake topper sends a message I don't think is particularly flattering to the bride. I never said anything specifically about you. Literally not one thing about you.

You called my mind little, me a word you "can't say", and told me to grow up. I really don't see how that reaction is proportionate or appropriate.
  • Options
    Ohashes11 said:
    @shelikesasunburn I'm sorry I guess its the same way I dont understand how you were taking the opportunity to help me see why something I "think" I want may be off-putting to my guests when clearly you were blatantly bashing me, which is fine freedom is speech is a beautiful thing but don't try to play it off like you were trying to help me when you were clearly being a pretentious -insert word I cant say- .

For us the topper actually has nothing to do with being dragged to the alter.  It has a bit more meaning behind it and anyone who is friends with us knows that.  My fiance is the outgoing party guy who loves to talk. The running joke in our group of friends is that I better start getting him ready to leave an hour before I actually want to leave because he's a chit chatter and I'm always "dragging him out" at the end of the night as the bar/restaurant/whatever is closing.  So yes I understand that it is advertised as "groom being dragged to alter", but that's not the meaning it has for us.  The only people who may not get it would be plus ones, and guess what I don't really care.  So yes its a reflection of reality but not in that I forced him to marry me or go to the alter or whatever you want to think in your closed little mind. I didn't realize things were only allowed to have one meaning, or that I'd have to defend my choice of cake topper, or myself to someone who knows nothing about me or my fiance or how hard we've worked to get where we are.  I don't give a shit what you say about my wedding, but when you insinuate that I'm one of those I get what want its my wedding type of brides you strike a chord that truly pisses me off because you couldnt be further from the truth.  I don't need your "help" or your fake well wishes. What's sad is people like you who judge others based on something as stupid as a cake topper.  Grow up.
    That's one heck of a reaction to someone not liking your cake topper, and very politely explaining how it might look to other people.

You need a drink, sister.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, PS - I got my cake topper on ebay.  I did a simple Swarovski letter surrounded by flowers provided by the florist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, enough...this forum is here so we can support one another and help--not tear each other down. And if she's getting married in a week, I imagine she's got a lot on her plate. (I know I'm going to be a little stressed in the 30 days or so leading up to the wedding)
    So let's just let this drop.
  • Options
    Ok, enough...this forum is here so we can support one another and help--not tear each other down. And if she's getting married in a week, I imagine she's got a lot on her plate. (I know I'm going to be a little stressed in the 30 days or so leading up to the wedding) So let's just let this drop.
    I would argue that for the lurkers, a discussion like this IS helping.  Sometimes we don't realize how other people, people who aren't in our inner circle, might interpret different aspects of our wedding.  Would you rather have whispers behind your back, or would you prefer an internet stranger say "hey, someone might think about THAT in THIS way?"  I'd take option B in a heartbeat, which is why I lurked over on E and SB nonstop while I was planning.

This isn't about the cake topper or the posters above specifically.  I'm speaking in generic terms.

And no offense, @KCLindgren, but no one needs you to police the forum.
  • Options
    i ordered mine from Better Off Wed on Etsy as well: https://www.etsy.com/listing/179656716/best-day-ever-wedding-cake-topper-gold?ref=exp_listing
    Can't wait to use it!
  • Options
    @Kclindgren So what did you get???
  • Options
    I ended up buying this topper.  I would have preferred the etsy one with the hikers, but oh well! 

I got this from weddingstar, and I used a coupon for 40% off so it ended up being 43$ including shipping.  I paid extra to change the groom's hair to brown. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards