Wedding Reception Forum

Split Reception??

Hi everyone. I am looking into a venue which is great other than the reception space is split into 2 rooms. They are right next to each other and there are 2 sets of double doors connecting them. We can not hold everyone in just one room. Is it a terrible idea to split up guests? I was thinking of putting the younger people in the "second room" which is closer to the bar and would house the DJ and dance floor. What do you all think?

Re: Split Reception??

• vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I would find another venue.  Splitting people in two groups can be very uncomfortable for your guests especially if you segregate them by age group.  

I went to a wedding like this a couple of years ago.  We were seated in the "younger room" with about 40 people and the other room had all the family and older guests with about 100 people.  We felt like we were second class citizens.  All the big events happened in the other room, so we either missed them or we had to get up from our tables and go stand in the main room.  It was annoying.  The bride and groom barely came in to see us.  It was like we were sitting at the kid's table.  

The rest of our table was bothered as well.  They all talked about how disrespected they felt.

I would find another venue.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • We had 2 separate rooms.  They were connected by a 2-3 steps.   It was all open though.  Meaning the window opened up so you can see into the rooms.

We had our friends under the tent near the bar and dance floor.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Are these rooms open? Or are there literally two separate rooms with doors? Will everyone see the cake-cutting/dancing from their tables, or will those guests have to walk into and stand in the other room?

I would find another venue. Your guests in the non-main room will feel like you shoved them to the side. 
  • Bevin8 said:
    Hi everyone. I am looking into a venue which is great other than the reception space is split into 2 rooms. They are right next to each other and there are 2 sets of double doors connecting them. We can not hold everyone in just one room. Is it a terrible idea to split up guests? I was thinking of putting the younger people in the "second room" which is closer to the bar and would house the DJ and dance floor. What do you all think?
    Find a new venue.  I'd hate to be in the lower class room.
  • Find another venue. This set-up isn't conducive to having a nice party.
  • My venue is split into 3-4 rooms. It's the first floor of an historic building that is now a restaurant, for some idea of what it will look like. We are having plated meals (no buffet to get up for), no cake cutting, no dancing or toasts or anything. We are putting large tables of friends together in the two somewhat smaller rooms so I think people will be happy. I'm a little uncomfortable putting us (as the hosts) in one room and not the others but we will be sure to mingle. The rooms are all nice and charming so I think it will work well. If it was a ball room and a small offshoot, I think I would feel differently. We do have some musicians that will be placed centrally, but that will be more for cocktail hour and after dinner when people can easily move around anyway. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a wedding where the rooms were seperated by a wall. We could sort of see into the other room where the bride and groom were, but I have to say I felt a bit like I got pushed to the side..

My FI and I picked a venue that is a large circular room with stone walls (beautiful!!) and allows room for us to put the dance floor in the center so everyone will have a good seat! I'd recommend that you keep looking but of course, it's up to you.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I dislike the idea, mostly because the guests in the other room (whichever room that may be) will not be able to see you and your husband. One room will likely not be able to hear any announcements from the MC or toasts. 
  • I say different venue as well. I once attended a cousins wedding where about 4 tables were placed in a side room. There was no assigned seating, so most of my family was in this room because I didn't know what was going on, got their first and took the table closest to the bar. My parents and other family members thought it was poor planning/rude on the B&G to have a wedding at a venue that couldn't hold everyone in the same room. 

Anniversary
  • Our first choice venue was like this--actually, they wanted us to use a banquet hall indoors and an outdoor tent, which would be doable, sort of, except that it was a busy hotel.
    Our current venue, we'll be the only ones there. I'll offer seating on the deck and grounds so guests can mingle outdoors if they choose, but nobody will be getting blocked off.
  • Can you keep the doors propped open? I think 2 rooms is fine as long as people can move easily between them  and they're open but don't split up your guests! You want all of your guests (or, realistically, as many as possible) to be comfortable and happy and shutting some of them out will make that fraction of them feel bad. I don't know exactly what your venue looks like but as you said "double doors" mark the separation, I'm assuming that if you have them propped open, the doorway is large enough to accommodate a lot of people moving in and out and will open up the space more. If you're set on having this venue, I would do that; otherwise, find a new venue that is more conductive to your event and its size.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards