Wedding Invitations & Paper

I'm Choosing eInvites instead of Paper

I just got engaged (Yay!!!) and am starting to plan.  We don't want to spend a huge amount of $$ on a wedding, because having our closest family and friends share our wedding day with us and starting our new life together is what's most important.  As such, I've decided to send electronic invitations instead of paper and printed save the date cards instead of electronic.  People will be more likely to frame and display a photo save-the-date card of the two of us as a keep sake more so than a paper invitation.  Paperlesspost.com has a big variety & style of eInvites  to choose from - from whimsical to traditional to chic & elegant. I've decided to go with Vista Print for the save-the-date cards because these can be a little less formal.  VistaPrint makes it super easy. Pick your template, upload a photo, customize the text and you're done!  All my close friends and family know I'm a techie so it fits my personality and they won't be a bit surprised.  I am looking forward to making my own wedding programs though! I have a super creative side, so I'm looking forward to visiting the specialty paper stores and seeing what I can come up with!  I wanted to share this post to let other brides know that it's ok to do your own thing when it comes to your wedding.  Customizing your wedding and making it uniquely YOU is what will make it memorable and special - to you and your guests.  Do what's in your heart. You don't need permission.  

Re: I'm Choosing eInvites instead of Paper

• I just got engaged (Yay!!!) and am starting to plan.  We don't want to spend a huge amount of $$ on a wedding, because having our closest family and friends share our wedding day with us and starting our new life together is what's most important.  As such, I've decided to send electronic invitations instead of paper and printed save the date cards instead of electronic.  People will be more likely to frame and display a photo save-the-date card of the two of us as a keep sake more so than a paper invitation.  Paperlesspost.com has a big variety & style of eInvites  to choose from - from whimsical to traditional to chic & elegant. I've decided to go with Vista Print for the save-the-date cards because these can be a little less formal.  VistaPrint makes it super easy. Pick your template, upload a photo, customize the text and you're done!  All my close friends and family know I'm a techie so it fits my personality and they won't be a bit surprised.  I am looking forward to making my own wedding programs though! I have a super creative side, so I'm looking forward to visiting the specialty paper stores and seeing what I can come up with!  I wanted to share this post to let other brides know that it's ok to do your own thing when it comes to your wedding.  Customizing your wedding and making it uniquely YOU is what will make it memorable and special - to you and your guests.  Do what's in your heart. You don't need permission.  

First of all, unless these people are your mother and grandmother, I wouldn't start expecting everyone to frame your save the dates. Having another couples' photo in my home would just be odd. 

That being said, unless there is a moral reason (which clearly for you, there isn't, since you're sending out paper save the dates), I think Einvites are way too informal for a wedding. I would switch your plan around if I were you and do the save the dates electronically. 

This is the largest party you will likely ever throw; it deserves the respect of paper invitations. 
  • Okay. I dont really see the point of this thread but anyway.

No one is going to frame your STD. If you are going to send e-vites, then I think you shoudl be planning a very informal affair, ie paper plates, flip flops and day time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yay, you!
  • Just another thought - you could always have the back of your invitation be a cute photo. That's a better keepsake than the save the date anyway. 
  • Yeah, this is worded VERY oddly.  I despise e-vites when I get them for things like tailgates.  If I got one for a wedding I think I would be shocked and appalled.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @KnotPorscha, is this a vendor? Smells like vendor.
    Even though she dropped both VP and paperlesspost. 
  • No, I'm not a vendor.  And no, I'm not seeking advice nor permission to have my wedding my way.  I'm perfectly comfortable with using electronic invitations, and apparently so are others since an electronic wedding invitation line exists in the first place.  Quite frankly I don't care if people keep the save the date cards or not.  But they likely will since it's close friends and family who LOVE us.  If anyone is "shocked and appalled" at receiving an electronic invitation to my wedding, they can #1: Not come to the wedding and/or #2 Use paper invites when THEY get married.  Our wedding, our way.  The important thing is to get married and have a happy, long lasting marriage.   
  • Thanks for the lolz, op!
  • So.....because you're doing this means all brides can do everything their way? I don't get it. Are you like the Jesus of weddings? Brides will now ask themselves, What Would Future Mrs R Dean Do? You've proclaimed yourself the example for all to follow?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No, I'm not a vendor.  And no, I'm not seeking advice nor permission to have my wedding my way. 
    So what are you posting here for?  Are you expecting us to turn around and endorse whatever you want to do, even if we think it's a bad idea?  We're not going to do that.

Don't let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.
  • Another speshel snowflake has joined us.  Etiquette does not apply to HER wedding, because it is all about HER, and it is HER DAY!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We live in a world where same sex couples can get married and here I am being bullied on a wedding blog for expressing a dissenting opinion from the masses.  But I'm the one who's self absorbed???  You have your wedding your way.  I'll have my wedding MY way. I posted on THIS BLOG #1 because I CAN; and #2 to show other brides that not everyone is following the standard wedding script.  And that's perfectly ok.  Feel free to have YOUR dissenting opinion.  But don't attack ME for having one too.  

"Don't go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Hm.  Let's see, here.  No, it still adds up to the opinion that you think matters is your own, and you are intolerant of anyone who tries to help you see otherwise.
    1.  Your wedding is only about you as long as you don't invite guests.  If you don't invite guests, you can do anything you want, as long as it is legal.
    2.  Once you invite guests, you should observe proper etiquette to make them comfortable and to communicate your plans.  (If I got an e-vite in my mail, it would go straight into the trash bucket, unopened, as unsolicited SPAM.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    As PPs said, this is not a blog, nor are you being bullied. It just makes no sense to any of us why you posted as if you're the only one doing things the way you want to and are apparently proclaiming yourself an example for brides to follow. Plenty of posters here have done things their way (some following good manners and etiquette and some making fools of themselves and turning their guests off) without starting a post to proclaim how it is done.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In my opinion E-Vites are for normal informal parties not weddings. I also don't see how it saves you all that much money in the long run. I spent a total of $45 and 3 hours on my invites.

But thanks for bursting in and announcing your intentions on the board of using teenager style invitations.

Everyone here is expressing their opinions which just happen to contradict your opinions.

*Formerly ctexasgurl26 and mrsridings061513*

imageimageimage

Anniversary
    Baby William born June 11, 2014 Weighing 6 lbs 5 oz and 17.5 inches long

• OP, I see you are new. This was not the best way to introduce yourself. I suggest lurking a bit to get the feel of the boards before posting.
  • I'm doing electronic save the dates and I'm thrilled. We ran out of time, simple as. I am researching the most beautiful paper invitations though, because I do think it's important to have And some people do keep them as keepsakes. Myself included. I think if you're doing electronic anything, it should probably be kept to save the dates. But...to each his own!! We are having a small wedding for about 40 people we see weekly so they know all the deets. For us, the save the dates are a formality. If my friends would put any of my email "in their junk file, as unwanted SPAM" they're not my friends anyway.
  • " If my friends would put any of my email "in their junk file, as unwanted SPAM" they're not my friends anyway."

@Rosebubbly, it isn't that I would deliberately dump them!  I just wouldn't recognize them as wedding invitations.  I get lots of junk mail, and I delete every day.  I wouldn't be expecting anything formal like a wedding invitation, so it would likely get dumped.  If I saw a wedding invitation in my regular mail, I would notice that.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @cmgragain I guess I am the complete opposite. I get nothing of importance via mail, not even my bills. I only check it about once a week or so and then only because I fear how my mail man will respond to my tiny box overflowing! LOL!
  • I feel the same way about email. I probably wouldn't even notice a wedding invitation, even if it did come to my inbox because I receive plenty of junk I never read in there. I pretty much only look in there or open something if I am expecting it. It is also not a very accurate way of eliciting replies. 

OP, if it is just close friends and family who you communicate with frequently via email, then go for it. Otherwise, do not expect many of them to even see or open an e-vite.
  • If my friends would put any of my email "in their junk file, as unwanted SPAM" they're not my friends anyway.
    Most of the time it's not their doing. My spam filter tends to filter out a lot of emails from those online invite sites automatically, without me even doing anything.

Seems kind of rude to assume that I'm not someone's friend through no fault of my own.

For my intimate (8 guest) wedding, I was considering doing evites, because it is just SO small. But after discussing with some people on TK, I decided to go with paper invitations. I did agree with them that it's a more formal even: it's a wedding, not a game night with my girlfriends. I also really want to send invites out to get keepsakes back (like to Disney - you get a card back from Cinderella and Prince Charming!). Some TKers don't really like this, but I like it, so it was just a perk.
  • Once time a few years back I opened up what I thought was an evite instead a friend's email was hacked and I got a virus.   They now got directly to my junk mail and are deleted before I even open them.

It's your wedding, do what you want.  Don't be surprised if others are like me and never see the invite.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards