May 2014 Weddings

Feeling disappointed

Most of my extended family is in Ohio, and I'm getting married in my home state in Florida. I knew most of my elderly family members (my grandmother, great aunts and uncles) likely wouldn't be able to come because they're all in their mid to late 80's, and travelling would be hard on them. But I got declines from my aunt and cousin today. Of my extended family, I'm closest to them and really wanted them there.
Now I'm sad.

Re: Feeling disappointed

• @SoontobeMrsNytes I'm really sorry. I'm going through a similar experience, where 2 sets of grandparents cannot make it because of how far they'd need to travel (even though the came up for my brother's wedding 4 years ago). 

Maybe you can Skype with them just before the ceremony, or at some point during the reception, just to see their faces and say hi. It might make it feel more like they are there in spirit, if they aren't there physically. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • On the topic of skype...what about having someone hold a tablet or camera with it live for them and you?
  • i agree with @dluberts! my best friend had her grandmother skyped in for her wedding and it worked out really well! Just make sure that the person who is holding the tablet (which works best for the bigger screen so you can see them as well as them seeing you!) is in the front row so there is noone blocking the view.
  • Thank you, ladies! I hadn't thought about skype as a possible solution. I talked to my mom and she said she's going to talk to my cousin, since he's all tech savvy, about organizing a watch party up there!
    Still sad, but glad this may be a quasi-solution
  • I am having a similar situation. I have always been very close with my mom's mom. But recently things aren't the same. She didn't attend my bridal shower because she said her physical therapist said it wasn't a good idea. (She is having some balance issues, but has NO problem going to bridge every Monday), yet she made a huge fuss about my cousin's fiance and wanting to do a shower for her last year.
    She sent me an email last night saying that she is hoping to attend our wedding, but there is a possibility of her not. 

I can't help but be overly disappointed about this. I know I should just blow it off, but it is really putting a damper on my mood.  
  • @msdidonato, I completely understand! The same family members who told me it's too hard for them to travel came for my brother's wedding last year. It just makes me feel lees important, you know? Especially since particularly my aunt and cousin and I have always been close.
    I talked to my other cousin about the skype idea. He said he thinks it's a good idea, but to consider using facetime or some google app I've never heard of. He said skype only allows you to connect with one person, but facetime and google will allow multiple people to "dial in". I'm looking into this and trying to find a compromise.
  • @soontobemrsnytes I have never thought about the skye or facetime thing, and honestly, I don't think I will do it for her. My parents and I are bending over backwards coming up with ways to get them here (drive the 4 hours on Saturday prior to the wedding to get them, hire a car to take them to the wedding on Sunday, then driving them home on Monday. OH and I am offering to pay for their hotel for 2 nights) if they still don't come then I am not going to have a phone out during the reception for them. Probably not the right attitude to have, but I am over being hurt and then "doing the right  thing"   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards