Wedding Invitations & Paper

Addressing Invites Issue

I'm sorry in advance for what is probably the millionth post on this...

I'm doing address labels for our envelopes and am making them in a Word document. I'm having trouble fitting the entire name on of the invitees on one line. For example:

Mr. Joe Smith & Ms. Jessica Jones & Family (married couple, she did not take his name, & their infant is invited but isn't born yet so I can't put the kid's name on)
Mr. William Sullivan III & Ms. Catherine Moore (in a relationship)

Is it okay to have the label look like this:

Mr. William Sullivan III
Ms. Catherine Moore

I think that one is okay, right?  It all fits on one line if I make the font smaller, but what size font is appropriate for envelopes? What size font would be too small?

What about the family one? The way it is currently on the label, it ends up like this:
Mr. Joe Smith & Ms. Jessica
Jones & Family

That seems wrong to me, also to have so many &s seems wrong. Should I do:

Mr. Joe Smith
Ms. Jessica Jones
& Family?

or 
Mr. Joe Smith, Ms. Jessica Jones
& Family?

or 
Mr. Joe Smith
Ms. Jessica Jones & Family

Thanks in advance- I really appreciate it!! 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Addressing Invites Issue

• Married couples get separated by "and" not "&" and their names are on one line. Couples who are not married are put on separate lines, no "and". Can you just print on the envelope instead of doing labels, so it will fit properly?
    xoadri said:
    I'm sorry in advance for what is probably the millionth post on this...

I'm doing address labels for our envelopes and am making them in a Word document. I'm having trouble fitting the entire name on of the invitees on one line. For example:

Mr. Joe Smith & Ms. Jessica Jones & Family (married couple, she did not take his name, & their infant is invited but isn't born yet so I can't put the kid's name on)
    Mr. William Sullivan III & Ms. Catherine Moore (in a relationship)

Is it okay to have the label look like this:

Mr. William Sullivan III
    Ms. Catherine Moore

I think that one is okay, right?  It all fits on one line if I make the font smaller, but what size font is appropriate for envelopes? What size font would be too small?

What about the family one? The way it is currently on the label, it ends up like this:
    Mr. Joe Smith & Ms. Jessica
    Jones & Family

That seems wrong to me, also to have so many &s seems wrong. Should I do:

Mr. Joe Smith
    Ms. Jessica Jones
    & Family?

or 
    Mr. Joe Smith, Ms. Jessica Jones
    & Family?

or 
    Mr. Joe Smith
    Ms. Jessica Jones & Family

Thanks in advance- I really appreciate it!! 

• Ah, I didn't realize that about "and" vs "&"

What about couples that are engaged? Do they also do separate lines?

I will think about printing directly on envelopes instead of labels...

Thank you!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • People who are married are on the same line, connected by "and".
    People who are not married are on separate lines.
    Simple, yes?  The lady's name is usually written first, unless you are using the traditional Mr. and Mrs. John Doe format.
    Labels are not correct for addressing invitations.  Please consider printing directly on the envelope.  It isn't as proper as handwriting, but anything is better than sticky labels.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ok, thanks @CMG!
  • edited April 2014
    Follow up question - to print on the envelope, even in a light color if I were to then trace over with a calligraphy pen, what size font would be the best?

thanks again!
  • @ Schatzi, Thank you! I'll start printing now to see how the sizes look... much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards