Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Help! FI and I can't agree on which City to marry in!

My fiancé and I are still over a year from the wedding, so we are discussing locations.

I moved to his hometown where we met. I'm trying to convince him to move back to my hometown; the weather is nicer, lots of outdoor activities, job opportunities, some of his family members live there, etc.
BUT he has a good job offer here and wants to stay with the company long term as it will likely be very profitable.

Since it looks like we have to live in his city, which I'm not happy in, I told him I want the wedding back home so my friends and family can definitely be there. His friends and family see us often since we live nearby.

PLUS, I dream of a woodland forest wedding which isn't possible in the city we live in.

Any tips on how to solve this? I know he will cave if I really push it, but I want us to both be happy with the wedding.

Re: Help! FI and I can't agree on which City to marry in!

• Options
    How far away are the two locations from each other? Is there a place in between the two cities that you could both agree on? Not ideal, but it would be a compromise.
  • Options
    I don't think this is something a board of strangers can answer. Only you guys know what is important, and only you guys know what the best compromise would be.

But I think both of you should sit down and figure out what you each want for your wedding. Big/small? City/country? Etc.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs.  This is a compromise only you to can work out.  Does he share your vision for a woodland wedding?  Is his family really able to travel - and how far is the travel?  Is there one location where your budget would go further or make more sense? 

Rather than start by trying to agree on a location, I'd start with what you both want for your wedding - the feel (fancy or casual? religious? family only?) , the people you absolutely can't imagine getting married without - and what you want to spend.  I'd then look at the basic options in both locations that would support your ideas to see where the best choices can be made.
    Anniversary

• Options
    It seems like you guys have bigger issues than where to get married. Where do you want to live? What are your long term plans? What are your priorities together? But yeah, as to your actual question, we can't answer it. You two need to talk it out. Marriage is all about compromise.
  • Options
    From a very selfish mom's point of view (sorry), I'd want it in the town where I and your side of the family lives and where you grew up. So I'm just adding another wrinkle/consideration to your decision.
  • Options
    Ditto Emmy. This is about more than the wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards