Attire & Accessories Forum

Ordering wedding dresses from a website

Has anyone ordered their wedding dresses from a website? How was the quality and what website did you use?

Re: Ordering wedding dresses from a website

• Personally, I would never ever purchase a wedding dress wihtout being able to see it in person and try it on.  Also, it depends on what website.  You should be very careful not to get knockoffs of crap from China or something.    https://www.facebook.com/BridesBeware
  • Are the knockoffs terrible with regards to quality??
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Usually, yes.  ETA brides have horror stories.  Check out the link I posted above in my first reply to this post.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    There are several reliable discount wedding dress vendors from the USA that sell authentic dresses at a reasonable discount.  Pearl's Place, RK Bridal, and Netbride are well known.  They are not internet shopping sites.  Pearl's Place, which we used, does not like to sell you a dress unless you have actually tried it on in person, since dresses look completely different on you than on a photo-shopped anorexic model!  Most brides find that they choose a dress that is very different from the one they saw and liked on line.
    There is no discount anywhere on Maggie Sottero dresses.  David's Bridal can only be bought from DB, since they manufacture their own dresses.  All sales are final at these discount ordering services, just like at any good bridal salon.  You cannot order a dress from them and change your mind later.  However, you will get the authentic dress from them, not a cheap knock off.
    You must telephone them during business hours to get their prices.  They don't take orders over the internet.  Budget at least $100 for alterations, which you must get locally.  Don't try taking the dress into a retail bridal shop for alterations.  Not cool!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • there are discounts on maggies older maggies. if you go to vows bridal outlet aka tlcs i found the gown they sell tons of maggies and at a discount
  • there are discounts on maggies older maggies. if you go to vows bridal outlet aka tlcs i found the gown they sell tons of maggies and at a discount

because they are samples. New Maggies cannot be sold at a discount.

• Are the knockoffs terrible with regards to quality??

knockoffs often have very poor quality fabric and the sizing is usually way off. Don't throw your money down the drain

• I got my dress off of EBay for 160 dollars including shipping. It WAS from a Chinese dressmaker who does custom work. It arrived last week and is beautifully made and fits me perfectly.

HOWEVER, I have lots of experience buying off E-bay so I know what to look for in a seller. My mom is a professional seamstress so if it didn't go well I could use it as a pattern. And I was ready to call it a loss if it was unsalvageable. My seller also never claimed she sold designer dresses. They are from her own shop and her own designs so no fakes. It's probably more costume-y/pageant-y than most people here would like, but I love it.

The only reason I purchased instead of having my mom make it is because this dress was exactly what I wanted and we couldn't even buy the materials for that cheap.

Buying dresses from China isn't for everyone, though. I knew what to look for in a good seller and we have had lots of experience buying evening gowns to use as costumes for theatre and are comfortable buying from China. You can have a good experience doing it, but it's definitely buyer beware.
  • Thanks for the help everyone.  I don't really care about the label but if i can't get a quality dress online then I don't want to risk it.  I have found a specific dress that I want but it is above my budget-- found it online for a fraction of the cost and started researching and discovered all these online China companies selling designer look alikes.  I could not decide if I should take the risk or try and find something else at David's Bridal instead of a boutique store. 
  • hogfan1997hogfan1997 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Do you have a specific website(s) that you use frequently @fairyjen1?
  • Actually,  I have gone to David's twice in hopes of finding an affordable dress... they have beautiful gowns... but I did not find anything that i liked more than this designer dress i tried on at a boutique.  i don't live in a big city so the choices locally are boutiques or David's Bridal.  People tell me "it's only a dress you wear for one day" and I also get told, "it's your wedding day and you want to find THE one that makes you feel wonderful."  I'm torn between spending that much money on a designer gown versus taking a gamble with an online company from China
  • Thanks for the help everyone.  I don't really care about the label but if i can't get a quality dress online then I don't want to risk it.  I have found a specific dress that I want but it is above my budget-- found it online for a fraction of the cost and started researching and discovered all these online China companies selling designer look alikes.  I could not decide if I should take the risk or try and find something else at David's Bridal instead of a boutique store. 

Call Pearls Place first thing Monday and ask their price.  You might be surprised!

http://www.pearlsplace.com

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @hogfan1997 I PM'd you with the information. I don't want to get accused of soliciting for a specific Ebay seller on this board. 
  • hogfan1997 is it possible to take a drive one weekend to a bigger city near you with more options? make it weekend thing stay someplace cheep and make several appointments  on a friday and Saturday as most bridal salons are closed on Sundays.

what state are you in

have you checked out any bridal consigments in your state you can find a designer dress for way less. those  sample gowns
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards