Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Please double check my wording

Please double check the wording for my invites before I start printing here at home:

TOGETHER WITH THEIR FAMILIES

NilDaph

AND

NilDaph's Fiance

REQUEST THE HONOUR OF YOUR PRESENCE

AT THEIR MARRIAGE

SATURDAY, THE THIRTEENTH OF SEPTEMBER

TWO THOUSAND AND FOURTEEN

AT HALF AFTER THREE O’CLOCK

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF NEW JERSEY

NEW JERSEY TOWNSHIP, NEW JERSEY

Anything I'm missing? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Please double check my wording

• Options
    Please double check the wording for my invites before I start printing here at home:

NilDaph

AND

NilDaph's Fiance

AT THEIR MARRIAGE

Anything I'm missing? 

Are you getting married in a place of worship?  If so you can keep this.  If not, then it should read "request the pleasure of your company"

Delete the "and" in the year.

• Options
    I'm not sure if it's proper or not, but it always bugs me when I see "at their marriage" instead of "wedding" because I assume that all guests will not always be present during the marriage, but they are witnessing the couple getting married at their wedding.

Is the use of "marriage" proper here?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's proper or not, but it always bugs me when I see "at their marriage" instead of "wedding" because I assume that all guests will not always be present during the marriage, but they are witnessing the couple getting married at their wedding.

@CMGragain would use "as they are united in marriage," but yes, all appropriate wording uses the word "marriage" instead of "wedding."
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

@CMGragain would use "as they are united in marriage," but yes, all appropriate wording uses the word "marriage" instead of "wedding."
    See, this makes sense to me. But to invite people to "witness their marriage" is just odd.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

See, this makes sense to me. But to invite people to "witness their marriage" is just odd.
    Well, given how many threads there are about PPDs, I think it makes sense that the wording emphasizes that what you are inviting people to witness is in fact the actual marriage, and not a reenactment.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Well, given how many threads there are about PPDs, I think it makes sense that the wording emphasizes that what you are inviting people to witness is in fact the actual marriage, and not a reenactment.
    Technically though, a "marriage" lasts long after the ceremony - you could witness my marriage in ten years while we're doing dishes in sweatpants. What you are witnessing is the BEGINNING of the marriage, which is why something like "as they are united in marriage" is more accurate. FWIW, my invitations said "together with their families, Lolo and Lolo's FI invite you to share in their wedding ceremony and celebration."

@maggie0829 the location she listed is a church, soooo...

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Technically though, a "marriage" lasts long after the ceremony - you could witness my marriage in ten years while we're doing dishes in sweatpants. What you are witnessing is the BEGINNING of the marriage, which is why something like "as they are united in marriage" is more accurate. FWIW, my invitations said "together with their families, Lolo and Lolo's FI invite you to share in their wedding ceremony and celebration."

@maggie0829 the location she listed is a church, soooo...
    Reading fail party of one! LOL!

• Options
    Thanks for your advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Your wording is fine, but I just think this flows better.

NilDaph

AND

NilDaph's Fiance

AS THEY ARE UNITED IN MARRIAGE

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg