Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Date Cards

I just got engaged last Friday and am getting married August 2nd. I don't intend to send out the invites until probably the 2nd week of June. However, I would like for the majority of people to know when the wedding is before getting their invite. Since it's such a short engagement, I know STDs aren't "required". But I still want to send SOMEthing. Currently I am planning to send a STD "card" via e-mail. They will be embedded in the body of the e-mail, not included as attachments. Does everyone think this is ok?

Re: Save the Date Cards

• I think its fine.

Although I dont really see the point since STDs are supposed to go out 9-12 months before the wedding. If you do send an email, I would only send it to your VIPs. And also be prepared for someone to potentially forward your STD to someone who you aren't planning on inviting.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You're getting married this August?  That's in like 4 months.  Do you have a venue and everything already set up?  You would be sending out invitations in about 2 months from now anyways (invites usually get send 6-8 weeks before the wedding).  Anyways, an e-mail Save the Date is fine, but not everyone has an e-mail that they check regularly and it might be deleted or set as junk mail accidentally.  
  • doeydo said:
    You're getting married this August?  That's in like 4 months.  Do you have a venue and everything already set up?  
    Same question.  Are you getting married this August or next August?

Honestly at this point I would forgo the STDs if you are getting married this August and just spread the date via word of mouth.  I mean your invites would be going out in June so it isn't like you are giving your guests that much of a notice with the STDs.

• I think it's fine, but honestly, I wouldn't even bother with a STD unless you just want to. Just email/chat up your VIPs saying, "We set the date for August 2nd, so your invites will be coming soon!"

You're sending invites in about 6 weeks anyway. Get cracking on your wedding details!
  • I'm getting married this August. As in a little over 3 months. We've already got an officiant, florist, DJ, photographer, and venue. The guest list is all put together. And the wedding attire for 9 guys has all been purchased. Insane, I know! BUT...I'm super organized and a major planner, so..

Anyway, I really wanted to do Save the Dates because I thought it would be fun for everybody to get something from us before the invites...but I was telling my fiance last night that I wasn't sure I really wanted to do them now because I'm not sure there's any point. Of course, he now really wants to do them. Ha!
  • I'm getting married this August. As in a little over 3 months. We've already got an officiant, florist, DJ, photographer, and venue. The guest list is all put together. And the wedding attire for 9 guys has all been purchased. Insane, I know! BUT...I'm super organized and a major planner, so..

Anyway, I really wanted to do Save the Dates because I thought it would be fun for everybody to get something from us before the invites...but I was telling my fiance last night that I wasn't sure I really wanted to do them now because I'm not sure there's any point. Of course, he now really wants to do them. Ha!
    I honestly, would save your money. This close to the wedding and there really isn't much of a point. They will get the STD and then in a month they will get the invite. The STD is typically sent 9+ months out as a way for people to be able to plan time off and travel. In your case if anyone you are inviting has to travel I would just call them directly and let them know when your wedding is cause they really can't afford for you to get STDs designed, printed, addressed, and then mailed.

• Yeah, I think we're going to nix them. We were just going to design them ourselves though and e-mail them. Would have been fairly quick and easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards