Honeymoon Discussions

Sound-off: Familymoon

Hey Knotties!

Is anyone going on a "familymoon" - honeymoon with family members - or is planning on taking a familymoon? Tell us what you think of the idea! 

Re: Sound-off: Familymoon

• We are taking my son on honeymoon with us. His fourth birthday is just a week after the wedding, and we wanted a two week honeymoon, so it was really the only choice we could make and not feel extremely guilty, but we probably would have taken him anyway.

I personally think that if you have young kids, you should take them. When you have kids together when you get married, the wedding is just as much a celebration of your family as it is of just the couple. Older children (12+ I think) and 'outside' family, on the other hand, I could never imagine why you would want to take them.
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We did a split trip.  H's brother and family lived in China for work. They were in Shanghai.  So, we spent 2 days in Beijing, just the two of us.  Then we met up with the family and one family friend in Shanghai.  We spent two days there and then traveled to Yunnan China with just the adults for 3 days.  Came back and spent one more day with their kids.  Then just the two of us went to Bangkok for a week. 

For us it worked because we wanted to go to China to visit his family before they got transferred back to the US.  It was great to have someone who spoke the language to help us get around. 

I think it depends on your situation and your preferences as a newly married couple.  You may want some time together with just the two of you.  You may not care and want your family to be there.   There is no etiquette here to follow. As long as people are not inviting themselves on your trip, do what works for you.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • We are taking my son on honeymoon with us. His fourth birthday is just a week after the wedding, and we wanted a two week honeymoon, so it was really the only choice we could make and not feel extremely guilty, but we probably would have taken him anyway.

I personally think that if you have young kids, you should take them. When you have kids together when you get married, the wedding is just as much a celebration of your family as it is of just the couple. Older children (12+ I think) and 'outside' family, on the other hand, I could never imagine why you would want to take them.

This may not be the right place to respond, as it's a Knot poll, but I have to comment on the bolded. There are lots of couples who were married previously and had families with their previous spouse. So, if your FI has a 12 year old child from his first marriage and a 2 year old with you, you would exclude the 12 year old? The 12 year old may very well feel alienated and left out! It will seem that you are choosing favorites and they are not a part of the new family unit. I agree that it wouldn't necessarily make sense to bring an adult child from a previous marriage along for the ride.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards